What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

but that's...

whaaaat

Okay, so not everyone thinks BH&R has great production here, but I don't mind the loudness/compression/etc. on BH&R since it's mainly so commercial anyway. It has a very loud and direct sound, and though it can be a bit fatiguing at times, I much prefer it to the deadness of Abso's production. Of course, I believe DRONES has even better production than BH&R (with the exception of Mercy...gah).

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps we could build a new thread with The 2nd Law and Drones as choices as well? I can't remember when was it I voted, but apparently I voted for Absolution.. If I could revote, I'd pick Origin of Symmetry.

This is my (current) ranking of the Muse albums:

1. Origin of Symmetry
  2. Black Holes and Revelations
  3. Absolution
  4. Drones
  5. The Resistance
  6. Showbiz
  7. The 2nd Law

• 3 weeks later...

Favourite has to be Origin Of Symmetry as like all of the tracks on it are fucking genius and raw and epic sounding, its followed closely by absolution which is in my opinion better produced and even more epic although not as raw as OoS, next is BH&R, I don't have a clue why people put it down as muses worst album, although its not as raw sounding as the earlier albums it has still got amazing songs on it, with invincible and map of the problematique being among my favourite muse songs, next is showbiz just for the fact it was the beginning for muse and paved the way for OoS, had some amazing songs on it too with cave, sunburn and showbiz being my favourites of them, last is the resistance, the reason why it is last on my list as it has lost quite a bit of the emotional sound to it and matt's voice has went from a chilling falsetto brilliance to lower pitched voice which kind of dulls down the music and makes it less epic sounding, the although I must say the exogenesis symphony has to be one of the most haunting and chilling pieces of epicness I have ever heard, shame it seems out of place in the album imo, the songs resistance, mk ultra and unnatural selection are brilliant as well but the lack of falsetto on the album means it doesn't appeal to me as much as muses earlier releases.

Still all of these albums are amazing in their own ways, but that's just muse for you.

• 1 month later...

Showbiz is easily the "worst" for me. Do not really like Matt's Vocals and I personally think the production was awful.

How can BHaR be the worst? I love all the songs on it :eek:

I would rank them

1.Absolution

2. BHaR

3. OoS

4. Drones

5. The Resistance

6. 2nd Law

7. Showbiz

But worst is just relative since I donot think any of their album is completely shit.

4th to 7th is easy in my estimation (bearing in mind that I love all the albums):

4th - Drones (a class above those below it, nowhere near those above it)

5th - The Resistance (some great tracks, some mediocre ones)

6th - The 2nd Law (a great idea, but falls a bit flat in places)

7th - Showbiz (lyrically weak, only a handful of standout tracks)

The top 3 changes all the time for me. BH&R used to be a distant 3rd from the other two, but over time I've realised how good BH&R actually is - it has a level of maturity & assurance that is lacking from the other albums. Would still probably keep it 3rd though. Can't decide between Absolution & OOS. If you stuck a gun to my head I'd probably answer OOS.

Origin Of Symmetry 9/10

Would be 10 if it wasn't for Feeling Good.

Absolution 8.5/10

Their most consistent album, just lacks the soaring highs of Origin.

Black Holes & Revelations 7.5/10

Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion are utterly, utterly incredible. The rest pale. Exo-Politics is the worst song of all time.

Drones 6.5/10

Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are immense, the rest is wishy washy hogwash.

Showbiz 6.5/10

Love the raw innocence of it, Muscle Museum, Showbiz and HT&ILY are brilliant songs. But Escape and Sober really are c-side material.

The Resistance 6.5/10

Always been a huge fan of Eurasia, and Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Exogenesis go without saying. I just think how turgid the three 'main' songs from TR are live has really killed my enjoyment of this album.

The 2nd Law 5.5/10

Yeah, not great really. Supremacy doesn't quite live up to what it promised, Animals is alright but the outro is lame, I unashamedly love Follow Me and Survival. I have little to add about the rest of it.

4th to 7th is easy in my estimation (bearing in mind that I love all the albums):

4th - Drones (a class above those below it, nowhere near those above it)

5th - The Resistance (some great tracks, some mediocre ones)

6th - The 2nd Law (a great idea, but falls a bit flat in places)

7th - Showbiz (lyrically weak, only a handful of standout tracks)

The top 3 changes all the time for me. BH&R used to be a distant 3rd from the other two, but over time I've realised how good BH&R actually is - it has a level of maturity & assurance that is lacking from the other albums. Would still probably keep it 3rd though. Can't decide between Absolution & OOS. If you stuck a gun to my head I'd probably answer OOS.

My Twin. Finally :p

1. OoS

2. Absolution

3. BHAR

4. Resistance

5. T2L

6. Showbiz

Tbh BHAR is an incredible album, Assassin, Hoodoo, Map, CoD and TaB are masterpieces. If Glorious was on the original album instead of Soldier's Poem it might've pipped Abso Similarly, if Fury was on Absolution instead of TOADA it might've pipped OoS.

Resistance had some real great moments, MK Ultra, Eurasia US and the Exogenesis trilogy are real highlights. Even I belong to you is a bit of fun.

T2L just has nothing going for, everything sounds confused and Chris' songs weren't that great for me. The only thing that ranks T2L above Showbiz is the

production and Matt's voice.

Edit: Completely forgot Drones! :chuckle: Probably put it somewhere between BHAR and resistance.

I really don't get all the excessive love for CoD :$ to me it's the most overrated song on this board by far

1. Absolution

2. BH&R

3. OOS

4. Drones

5. TR

6=. Showbiz & T2L

The first half of Drones is very strong. I was thinking it might be up there with BH&R until the second half of the album leaked.

BH&R (9.5/10)

Map, COD, Hoodoo, Assassin and TAB are downright amazing and 4 of them make up my top 5 alone. Love Invincible and Supermassive. Exo-Politics, Knights and Soldier's Poem are pretty great too. Flow's a bit suspect in places but shuffle it about, stick in Easily and Glorious and you've got an even better album. If the production wasn't awful and Exo-Politics was more like it's original version, I don't even wanna think about what this album would do to me.

Best track(s): Map, Hoodoo, Assassin, Take A Bow, City Of Delusion

Worst track(s): Starlight

OOS (9/10)

More consistently great than BH&R but doesn't quite touch it's high points for me. Consistent sound, all-round great-to-brilliant songs (mostly brilliant) and nigh-perfect flow at times. Production is generally really good as well, though the guitar sounds a bit tinny/sharp at times imo. Feels weird saying this is now my 2nd favourite after calling it my favourite album of all-time for so long :chuckle:

Best track(s): Bliss, Megalomania, Space Dementia, Screenager, Micro Cuts, New Born

Worst track(s): Feeling Good

Absolution (7.5/10)

I've always had issues with this album, mainly due to it's production and lack of flow, but lately I've started to appreciate just how good most of the songs on it are. Stockholm, Butterflies and RBS are among their very best and Hysteria, FAWY, SFA and Endlessly are pretty great too. The worst tracks are at least decent, but the amount of these more 'meh' tracks hold the album down as a whole.

Best track(s): Stockholm Syndrome, Ruled By Secrecy, Apocalypse Please, Butterflies

Worst track(s): TOADA, Blackout

The Resistance (7/10)

This is a weird one, I find myself hating and loving it at the same time, particularly stuff like Uprising, Guiding Light and USOE. By now though, I think I enjoy most of the tracks on it. I like the aesthetic of the album too, everything feels 'smooth' for want of a better word. That said, the production is a bit too clean at times and lacks punch where it needs it. 2 of the 3 Exogenesis tracks are pretty great imo but it doesn't work at all as a whole for me.

Best track(s): Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, Undisclosed Desires

Worst track(s): Cross-Pollination, Resistance

Drones (6/10)

Struggled to split this and TR but, in the end, if you asked me which one I'd rather listen to I'd pick TR. Again, more consistently decent than TR with only one out-and-out guff track (Aftermath, one of their worst imo) but it just isn't as enjoyable for some reason. Even the high points just don't grab me as well as they should for some reason. Reapers should be in my top 10 at least but it just feels a bit hollow. Concept had potential but overall just hinders the album with it's blunt and cringe-inducingly heavy handed lyrics.

Best track(s): Reapers, The Handler

Worst track(s): Aftermath, Mercy

Showbiz (5/10)

Endearingly immature at times and cringeworthy in others. Some absolute guff in patches (some of their worst songs) but about half of it is solid with a few flashes of brilliance.

Best track(s): Hate This And I'll Love You, Showbiz

Worst track(s): Overdue, Escape

The 2nd Law (3/10)

Genuinely shit. Feels like a studio fuckabout as opposed to a body of work with actual thought and care put into it. Production is nice but too clean and flow is almost non-existent.

Best track(s): Animals, Isolated System

Worst track(s): *insert Gary Oldman 'everyone' gif*

I really don't get all the excessive love for CoD :$ to me it's the most overrated song on this board by far

citizen erased

• 1 month later...

In order from best to wor--er, I mean least awesome (but still awesome nonetheless):

HAARP, and nobody will tell me otherwise.

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry

Black Holes and Revelations/Drones/The 2nd Law/The Resistance (I don't know what order I'd put them in.)

Showbiz

I really don't like doing these sort of polls, though, because I love all of the Muse albums. I cannot pick a least favorite. Picking a favorite or least favorite Muse album is like picking a least favorite ice cream flavor for me. I love all of them, but I have to make a choicea,nd I will come off as a dick whichever one I choose.

Archived