What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Usually when people criticize BH&R's production they usually mean the "sonics" of the album, or the sound quality of the album. (not related to the songwriting, etc.) When you listen to an album like The 2nd Law, the songs may not be as "good" as the ones on Black Holes, but the quality of the sound is much higher. It's just one of those things that once you hear, you can't un-hear. This problem affects Muse's first four albums, but Black Holes is the strongest example.

A couple of quick examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcNvwerTOk

For an example of really great production, see Rage Against the Machine, Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures or Mezzanine by Massive Attck

I was sure I wasn't the only one to ask. Just couldn't be arsed to go through the thread :LOL:

I wasn't picking on you or anything, just thought it was funny that the question and the answer were so extremely similar despite being by totally different people :LOL:

The original or the remastered ones?

I don't think I've heard the remastered version of Unknown Pleasures, and I'm not aware of Mezzanine being remastered. I thought the reissure of RatM improved on the sound, surprisingly. There was a phase of remasters just compressing everything to make the songs seem louder- I'm wary of anything marked "1999 remaster"- but that seems to be on the way out.

I don't think I've heard the remastered version of Unknown Pleasures, and I'm not aware of Mezzanine being remastered. I thought the reissure of RatM improved on the sound, surprisingly. There was a phase of remasters just compressing everything to make the songs seem louder- I'm wary of anything marked "1999 remaster"- but that seems to be on the way out.

Well I asked because all of the remasters from to 00s onward have been just compressed shit. That's why it's funny when people ask for a BHAR remaster, cause they'll just get an even louder version :LOL:

Well I asked because all of the remasters from to 00s onward have been just compressed shit. That's why it's funny when people ask for a BHAR remaster, cause they'll just get an even louder version :LOL:

Not necessarily; the remastering work on Bleach by Nirvana was pretty good and that on Cowboys From Hell added some more clarity, which was welcome. Not to mention the work done on NIN's Pretty Hate Machine- the album isn't brilliant but the remastered version sounds great.

Not necessarily; the remastering work on Bleach by Nirvana was pretty good and that on Cowboys From Hell added some more clarity, which was welcome. Not to mention the work done on NIN's Pretty Hate Machine- the album isn't brilliant but the remastered version sounds great.

I'm stepping on hollow ground now, but U2's album remasters are fantastic. Much better than the live shit they release. Overall they are pretty fantastic. They are a bit louder to the originals, but retain the dynamic and add some clarity.

Usually when people criticize BH&R's production they usually mean the "sonics" of the album, or the sound quality of the album. (not related to the songwriting, etc.) When you listen to an album like The 2nd Law, the songs may not be as "good" as the ones on Black Holes, but the quality of the sound is much higher. It's just one of those things that once you hear, you can't un-hear. This problem affects Muse's first four albums, but Black Holes is the strongest example.

So 'clipping' is just a name for all things wrong with the production of an album? (because I asked what that specific word meant :p) But yeah, I do hear the difference between Black Holes and the last two albums.

So 'clipping' is just a name for all things wrong with the production of an album? (because I asked what that specific word meant :p) But yeah, I do hear the difference between Black Holes and the last two albums.

Clipping is distortion of the sound caused by the audio being too loud. Think of the sound when you record a gig with a phone or something like that.

I wasn't picking on you or anything, just thought it was funny that the question and the answer were so extremely similar despite being by totally different people :LOL:

Yeah I know you weren't, don't worry. I guess the responses were too uncanny to not notice :LOL:

Clipping is distortion of the sound caused by the audio being too loud. Think of the sound when you record a gig with a phone or something like that.

Oh, I see. I especially think the chorus of Easily has that a lot (would make sense because it's a Black Holes b-side)

The Stone Roses, Smiths and Sex Pistols remasters have all been pretty good to great as well imo. Provided they get someone who knows what they're doing and actually cares and puts effort into making the record sound better instead of just doing it for a quick cash-in, a remastering of BHAR could be great.

The Stone Roses, Smiths and Sex Pistols remasters have all been pretty good to great as well imo. Provided they get someone who knows what they're doing and actually cares and puts effort into making the record sound better instead of just doing it for a quick cash-in, a remastering of BHAR could be great.

That's the key thing, and the thing that made the remaster of Pretty Hate Machine- which I don't really care much for as an album- so good in my book. And hopefully that'll turn out the same with The Fragile when that rerelease finally sees the light of day.

Don't mind me getting back on topic for a sec.

Black Holes and Origin both have excellent tracks (BHaR has Assassin, MotP, TaB, Hoodoo, KoC and CoD while Origin has Micro Cuts, New Born, Hyper Music, Space Dementia, Citizen Erased and Futurism) but I think Origin just barely outperforms it for me, because I can't stand Soldier's Poem or Invincible.

OoS is best and I think always will be.

Some one said it's pity they reached the peak too early. They won't be able to overstep it.

But Absolution is really great also.

Probably BHaR is the least liked...

I really love Showbiz though... Can you imagine Muse is unknown band yet. And first track playing is Sunburn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then, Muscle Museum etc.

Many people here say they hated Showbiz because of Overdue. Common! Just skip it.

OoS is best and I think always will be.

Some one said it's pity they reached the peak too early. They won't be able to overstep it. True.

But Absolution is really great also.

Probably BHaR is the least liked...

I really love Showbiz though... Can you imagine Muse is unknown band yet. And first track playing is Sunburn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then, Muscle Museum etc.

Many people here say they hated Showbiz because of Overdue. Common! Just skip it.

• 1 year later...
So surprised! :stunned:

I honestly thought BH&R would have so many votes, being top 3, on par with OoS and Absolution.

Muse fans are weird things.

It was my favourite for a couple of years while I was still getting into Muse. It takes me a few listens to even like a Muse song, but BHaR hit me straight away. However, now if into all of their albums, OoS takes it with BHaR second.

So surprised! :stunned:

I honestly thought BH&R would have so many votes, being top 3, on par with OoS and Absolution.

Muse fans are weird things.

I think the fact that the thread was made during TR's honeymoon period (when BHAR was still viewed pretty poorly by the fanbase) has a big effect on that. If you made the thread again now, BHAR would probably be a lot closer to the top.

Archived