What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

I sometimes think that OoS is probably the superior album, but nothing will ever top Abso for me, I'm sure.

Just by the fact it was my first love; probably will always be biased.

I really enjoy BH&R, though, and it would be hard for another to take it's spot, really (Abso, OoS, BH&R, T2L, Showbiz, TR for me.) I never liked SMBH, but I always liked the rest of it.

I'm still just in awe of Matt's voice in the new stuff, though, so it will be interesting.

I listened to some old stuff the other day and actually thought "wow, this is a bit nasal, isn't it..." :chuckle:

I think one day The Resistance will be looked back on as a great album. Black Holes didn't really get a lot of love when it came out and I'm wondering if after Drones is out (assuming everyone hates it or whatever) if The Resistance will start getting love as "the old Muse" by fans who got into them around that time.

Then again I think Drones is gonna be pretty good so who knows.

1. The Resistance

2. Absolution

3. Black Holes & Revelations

4. Origin of Symmetry

5. The 2nd Law

6. Showbiz

Best :

1. Absolution

2. Origin of Symmetry

3. The Resistance

4. Black Holes and Revelations

5. Showbiz

6. The 2nd Law

Favourite

1. The Resistance

2. Absolution

3. Origin of Symmetry

4. Black Holes and Revelations

5. The 2nd Law

6. Showbiz

And Drones will be 1st on both of them

This distinction between best and favourite is such nonsense.

There's a vast difference between what you believe is objectively better and what you prefer. Fight Club is my favourite film, but I believe that The Godfather is the best film I've ever watched.

There's a vast difference between what you believe is objectively better and what you prefer. Fight Club is my favourite film, but I believe that The Godfather is the best film I've ever watched.
Exactly, the belief that you can judge an album or a movie objectively is ridiculous and pretentious.

How do you value good music? How many solos there are? Which chord progressions they use? Originality? And how do you judge originality objectively? And how do you compare these variables objectively on order to compare albums with eachother?

Exactly, the belief that you can judge an album or a movie objectively is ridiculous and pretentious.

How do you value good music? How many solos there are? Which chord progressions they use? Originality? And how do you judge originality objectively? And how do you compare these variables objectively on order to compare albums with eachother?

It's not pretentious. I love listening to Panic Station, but think it's an unoriginal song with even worse lyrics than usual. I can't see how it's a pretentious way of thinking; it's simply a wider and more open way of thinking. Instead of thinking "I hate this song!", you think "I'm not a fan of the song, but I can see why others enjoy it and understand why it is considered good music." Much more open and interesting way of thinking with no pretentiousness at all.

Personally when it comes to distinctions of "best" vs. "favorite," at least with music, it's a distinction between how I can critically listen to it vs. how I personally value the album.

Like Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles album, but only because I have a very personal connection to it. I know for sure it isn't their most complete work — I still don't even know what album of theirs that would be (maybe Revolver or Sgt. Peppers, but that's beside the point).

I don't think it's very pretentious to regard certain works as objectively "best," at least in my understanding of the distinctions. In fact, it'd be more pretentious to declare all of your favorite albums, movies, etc. as the definite best works of certain artists.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think it's right for me to say "objectively best," because I don''t think there's such a thing. But regardless, I think you can still differentiate between best and favorite, even if both are still subjective.

Personally when it comes to distinctions of "best" vs. "favorite," at least with music, it's a distinction between how I can critically listen to it vs. how I personally value the album.

Like Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles album, but only because I have a very personal connection to it. I know for sure it isn't their most complete work — I still don't even know what album of theirs that would be (maybe Revolver or Sgt. Peppers, but that's beside the point).

I don't think it's very pretentious to regard certain works as objectively "best," at least in my understanding of the distinctions. In fact, it'd be more pretentious to declare all of your favorite albums, movies, etc. as the definite best works of certain artists.

Precisely :)

It's not pretentious. I love listening to Panic Station, but think it's an unoriginal song with even worse lyrics than usual. I can't see how it's a pretentious way of thinking; it's simply a wider and more open way of thinking. Instead of thinking "I hate this song!", you think "I'm not a fan of the song, but I can see why others enjoy it and understand why it is considered good music." Much more open and interesting way of thinking with no pretentiousness at all.
I'm totally with you on the concept of seeing other people's side of things, but that doesn't make it objective. I don't like Guiding Light, but I can see why others do. Objectivity has nothing to do with it.

Just as I love loads of mainstream pop songs, but still can see why people view them as garbage. That doesn't mean that their ways of viewing music is any more objective. Who's to say that the incredibly vague term "originality" weighs more than catchiness? That it weighs more than making you happy by listening to it?

I understand the things people look for in "good" music, that doesn't mean I think it's worth a damn. Especially not when for some reason technicalities are often seen as more valuable than emotional responses. "I like this song but I can see that it isn't actually good". The reason it's pretentious nonsense is because it does in no way help anyone. What do you gain from trying to judge something objectively? "Oh this band made a record I don't like but I can see that it's good so I still respect them"?

`

And it's also pretentious because people pretend to be able to actually view things objectively without having any form of factual variables to go by, as I said previously. Everyone just makes up their own reasons for thinking something is objectively good anyway, so it's still subjective.

:erm: That's not the alternative though. The alternative is to admit that there is no such thing as objectivity in the value of music, and that it only matters what you think of it.

:erm: That's not the alternative though. The alternative is to admit that there is no such thing as objectivity in the value of music, and that it only matters what you think of it.

Yeah, I edited in a short note at the bottom. I think I might agree with you on that there's no such thing as a objectivity.

At the same time, I still do think it is possible to differentiate between best and favorite. The Resistance is only my favorite Muse album (lol) because it was the first I heard and it brings back good memories, but I think Absolution is their most cohesive and complete album that best captures the band's sound. It's all still subjective but I think its the difference of listening to music with a critical ear vs. a sentimental (probably a better word for it than that) ear.

Yeah, I edited in a short note at the bottom. I think I might agree with you on that there's no such thing as a objectivity.

At the same time, I still do think it is possible to differentiate between best and favorite. The Resistance is only my favorite Muse album (lol) because it was the first I heard and it brings back good memories, but I think Absolution is their most cohesive and complete album that best captures the band's sound.

Spot on.

At the same time, I still do think it is possible to differentiate between best and favorite. The Resistance is only my favorite Muse album (lol) because it was the first I heard and it brings back good memories, but I think Absolution is their most cohesive and complete album that best captures the band's sound.

But that's still an opinion. Okay I can accept that you simply think an album "captures the band's sound" and maybe displays as much of what they are as possible (like for example CE as a song), but that doesn't make it objective which for example Aeterna is trying to argue. Because someone might think that the mixture of genres is what defines Muse, since they did three whole albums of it, and who are you to tell them they're wrong? How would you even do it without going into your own opinions?

EDIT: Just read your edit which basically agrees with me so yeah. Dunno how Aeterna can be agreeing though when he's literally talked about objectivity.

But that's still an opinion. Okay I can accept that you simply think an album "captures the band's sound" and maybe displays as much of what they are as possible (like for example CE as a song), but that doesn't make it objective which for example Aeterna is trying to argue. Because someone might think that the mixture of genres is what defines Muse, since they did three whole albums of it, and who are you to tell them they're wrong? How would you even do it without going into your own opinions?

Sorry, I keep on editing stuff in after I post it. I agree with you. I think any opinion, best or favorite, is entirely subjective because there is no objectivity in anything. At this point I'm just saying I think it's possible to have both a favorite album and have an opinion on what the best album is.

Edit: Just read your edit now too lol, so we agree

EDIT: Just read your edit which basically agrees with me so yeah. Dunno how Aeterna can be agreeing though when he's literally talked about objectivity.

I'm talking about what the person considers to be objective. I don't subjectively like a song, but if think it's objectively good. I don't like it, but think it's good. I don't know why you're so touchy about this. I'm allowed to think a song is good but not enjoy it, and vice versa. It's not devaluing other opinions. I, along with others here, am free to express my thoughts on a song like this.

I'm talking about what the person considers to be objective. I don't subjectively like a song, but if think it's objectively good. I don't like it, but think it's good. I don't know why you're so touchy about this. I'm allowed to think a song is good but not enjoy it, and vice versa. It's not devaluing other opinions. I, along with others here, am free to express my thoughts on a song like this.
I don't think you know what objective means.

Archived