What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)  

823 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds ok.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

Just read the Birmingham post article and Matt has said this album was the most fun record to make and that the experience was very light-hearted. The music here definately reflects that and I think it is this attitude that will steer the band in any new directions they take.

I think Origin is firmly in the past now.

Origin was and still remains amazing, but it seems people are unable to realise that bands move on. If they'd produced an album like OoS, the general attitude would have been "heard it".

There's not one song on this album that reminds me of their past work, and to me that means they have moved forward. What's the use of going backwards or standing still?

Fun track?? This is Muse we are talking about if I wanted a fun track I'd buy a GLC album.

I belong To You and Guiding Light are the two reasons this album will never live up to Absolution and OoS and thus will never be a classic.

Bit extreme, doncha think? They're moving away from just 'serious' rock; they started messing with 'fun' songs a long time ago (Execution, then KoC and even Supermassive) and experimenting with songs that are interesting and make you feel good cos they're weird and funny :LOL:. It's good that they're doing a bit of both; IBTY is a bit more fun than their more 'we r srs band, dis b srs moozic' stuff, whereas songs like Exogenesis demonstrate that they are still serious musicians that ooze talent. Plus, that symphony pretty much dwarfs the rest of the album with its awesomeness, haha. :awesome:!

Origin was and still remains amazing, but it seems people are unable to realise that bands move on. If they'd produced an album like OoS, the general attitude would have been "heard it".

There's not one song on this album that reminds me of their past work, and to me that means they have moved forward. What's the use of going backwards or standing still?

+ 1

There will never be another OoS because they are not in their early twenties anymore and they have move on both in their life and their music. One of the reasons I like Muse is their ability to not look back once they've done something and explore something new. And yes with exploration you will have hit and miss but at least they are not afraid to try (and get out of the comfort zone). And thanks god they are not afraid to be light-hearted in their music and not take themselves srsly which gave us a gem like IBTY (so wrong it's right).

Bit extreme, doncha think? They're moving away from just 'serious' rock; they started messing with 'fun' songs a long time ago (Execution, then KoC and even Supermassive) and experimenting with songs that are interesting and make you feel good cos they're weird and funny :LOL:. It's good that they're doing a bit of both; IBTY is a bit more fun than their more 'we r srs band, dis b srs moozic' stuff, whereas songs like Exogenesis demonstrate that they are still serious musicians that ooze talent. Plus, that symphony pretty much dwarfs the rest of the album with its awesomeness, haha. :awesome:!

Bit extreme ? Definitely not, MK Ultra is absolutely fucking awesome, if you replaced I Belong To You and Guiding Light with two songs half as good then this album would be excellent.

I think OoS is heavy enough as it is. Dead Star, In Your World, Futurism or anything alike would just be a step too far and the heavier songs on the album would just lose that extra impact. You need songs like Feeling Good to exagerate the heavyness of the rest of the album. Thats why I feel Screenager is so well placed too.

Seriously, I'm going through this thread and most everyone towards the end thinks the french section is TERRIBLE.

Personally I think that's the best part of the song. It feels as though he's pouring out his soul as he awkwardly sings in French. I absolutley love it. It made me a little emotionally the first time I heard it. I really disagree that it sounds "Disney".

I think this albums classical pieces are wonderful. The album as a whole..I would day 7.5/10 maybe 8 but this track and the last three are my favorite.

:)

Seriously, I'm going through this thread and most everyone towards the end thinks the french section is TERRIBLE.

Personally I think that's the best part of the song. It feels as though he's pouring out his soul as he awkwardly sings in French. I absolutley love it. It made me a little emotionally the first time I heard it. I really disagree that it sounds "Disney".

It is terrible. I actually ripped my headphones off when that started!

Of course i have this thing against french music to start with (Where i live it's almost all french music everywhere all the time, so i can't stand it any more).

I'll listen to it again and try to see what you mean though.

I feel that this is the best song on the album, and maybe the best song out of Muse's whole damn catalog.

It's like a combination of Queen's 'Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon' and Edit Piaf's 'La Vie En Rose.'

I've been a Muse fan for years now and have had the pleasure of seeing them live. I must say, while they've always had bounds of raw talent, they've really grown up. There's a lot of musical maturity in this. They're really living up to the potential they've shown on their previous albums.

Now... the next one better be a double-disk 20-song extravaganza where they pull out all the stops! Anyone remember 'Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'? Imagine if Muse did something like that!

Taken from the notes from the iTunes LP about IBTY:

"This song is influenced by silly circus sounds, "Sgt. Pepper's", "Pet Sounds" and a general "anything goes" approach to music. It's about feeling in debt or grateful to someone for being an inspiration for creating music. The middle is from the aria called "mon coeur s'ouvre a toi" from the French Opera "Samson and Delilah" composed by Camille Saint-Saens. The song features a bass clarinet solo which we wanted to sound like a theme tune from a children's TV program featuring teddy bears in a garden. -Matt

:wtf: what is it with them and teddy bears...

:LOL:

It's difficult to find words for the passion in the French part, I was listening in the car this morning (which is the best place as I can be alone) and it's right up there, giving me images of a something very powerful like the Greek god and goddess of love and humanity (I'm not saying I think Bellamy is a god btw just in case someone assumes that! I just find the vocal, in particular, in this song very moving).

And then I was thinking about what Matt said about the clarinet being a reference to a children's tv programme, and I wonder whether it's a light hearted reference to what can result from that kind of unbridled passion - babies - and maybe the idea of teddy bears in the garden is a direct reference to their ideas in relation to Uprising, as the babies are the soldiers of the future. This also ties in the two forms of passion which are the central themes of this album - the passion for the cause which the protagonist believes will save humanity and the passion for the individual leading us to the ultimate in Exogenesis when a few individuals are sent out to save all humanity. Powerful stuff!

Maybe it suits my thinking processes as I am wowed by this album!:D

It feels as though he's pouring out his soul

This is it, exactly how I feel, and its pretty magnificent!

And then as soon as I'd done this post the other undercurrent, another thing I was thinking, came into my head which made me giggle -

"The circle of life" when he holds up that baby lion! And the feeling from "build a dream upon a star" (maybe because this has previously been mentioned) - no this song is not Disney - they incidentally needed rather a lot of help from Elton John and Tim Rice (wasn't it?) but maybe it contains the hope and the life affirming aspect that Disney is rather good at keying into which also, so it seems, is Matt Bellamy!:D

I think this albums classical pieces are wonderful. The album as a whole..I would day 7.5/10 maybe 8 but this track and the last three are my favorite.

:)

i dislike the french section, but its worth it to hear the bass clarinet solo :D

I love this song MAINLY because of the jazzy Bowie-esque sound to the song.

Bellamy singing French, OF COURSE, makes me laugh. Being a Brit myself, hearing any fellow Brit attempt to portray a convincing French accent will of course have me in stitches. Of course, this doesn't take away from the eye-watering beauty of this section. I also love the bass clarinet solo!

I've been skipping this song a lot because as I've said, I wasn't too keen on it. But, as I'd hoped, it's growing on me. The "sparkle" noise actually fits pretty well, and I liked the piano in the first place, so the main song is quite enjoyable. The French bit is okay when he's mumbling, but when he starts yelling "REPONDS A MA TENDRESSE", it's hard to avoid how awkward it sounds. And I still need to get used to that clarinet solo. I've accepted the madness of the rest of the album, so a few more listens and I will hopefully warm to this song a bit more, even if it ends up being this album's equivalent of Starlight.

It's interesting the way the French part seems to have been inserted between the Mu- and -se, it's almost like a dream sequence the way it drifts in and then out again.

wow its true... good catch!

i did notice that he kinda just said "muuuuu" without the "se" but i didn't think that it might reappear later =P

Archived