What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)  

823 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds ok.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant song!! Highly comical, intelligent, playful...

Sparkling with irony, it's a self-parodistic masterpiece that shows, how far Muse are ready to go in their joyful play with musical quotations. The music might recall “This love” from Maroon 5, but Muse go far beyond, they don’t even stop when it comes to famous opera arias like the one from “Samson and Dalila” by C. Saint-Saens. Matt's heavy British accent in the French parts adds another element of comedy into the song, just like the fact that during the aria his voice sounds as if it came out of an old gramophone, which makes of him a short-term ‘chansonnier’ à la Charles Aznavour; the fact that the aria is put exactly between “Mu-“ and “-se” is by no means a coincidence and the line “you’re my guiding lightning strike” refers with a clear wink to “Guiding Light”; lines like “she attacks me like a Leo / when my heart is split like Rio / but I assure you my debts are real” are proofs of a great sense of humour that gets brilliantly emphasized by the use of a jazzy bass-clarinet in the end and that I personally wouldn’t have expected in Muse with such an – intelligently refined – plainness. BRILLIANT SONG!

Am I the only person who would prefer it if it didn't have the piano-y bit in the middle. As it is, the beginning and the end is just a catchy, jingly pop song & I'd love it even if it was just this & no more.

I actually agree. It's kind of like the guys thought it wasn't enough as a simple little "ditty" and put the French part in there.

Anyone know btw how much of the original classical composition was used and how much is re-worked/original?

It's still so far one of my favourites :)

Am I the only person who would prefer it if it didn't have the piano-y bit in the middle. As it is, the beginning and the end is just a catchy, jingly pop song & I'd love it even if it was just this & no more.

You are not alone... I skip to when Matt starts to sing 'I belong to you' again.

I love it apart from the 'middle' section.;)

The '-se'?

Yes it is, right before the clarinet solo :)

Oh yeah, I just thought it was a normal ooohh type thing. I want this to be a single, and I want said single to edit out mon coeur and connect the word "muse".

Now why the hell was this not played on Jools Holland? It's the most Jools Holland-y type thing I could ever have imagined Muse creating!

Isn't it acceptable to pronounce an s when it's followed by a vowel?

It's not only acceptable, but it is absolutely correct!:)

I just love the sheer irony and self-parody in this song! Not ridiculous at all, but intelligently refined!

Isn't it acceptable to pronounce an s when it's followed by a vowel?

But having said that, it's almost like he emphasizes the s. :facepalm:

In general "s"s at the ends of words are mute, but you are right, when followed by a vowel, they do sound. It's for ease of pronunciation.

That aside, it's just fantastic to hear a Brit singing in a language other than English. Merci, Matt, pour ça.

That's what I was thinking! But I was afraid to be too certain in case I was then proven wrong. :rolleyes:

And I trust this will be in every future setlist for French venues. ;)

Something tells me this will be left out of the French setlist - I don't think Matt want to attempt his dodgy French in front of a native audience (chicken!! :LOL: )

Of course I would love to be proven wrong :p

Archived