What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)  

823 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds ok.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

I agree with you. My favorite songs were intially UD and Resistance. However, after a hard day, "I belong to you" helps me get my homework. The French and I didn't really kick it off until last. I love what they've done. (Call me insane, but I'm actually listening to that right now.). There is so much new material in here that it blows my mind. If you've seen Becoming Jane, you'll understand that when I say Exogenisis 1-3, and all of Muse's piano remind me of it. They've taken a fantastic new direction. They've stolen my heart, won my respect, and I will always stand by them; they are my favorite band and always will be. The undertones and symbolic meanings are just mind blowing....Muse have done it again: they've reshaped, redefined, and orchestrated what it means to be the best. Cheers Steve

I think this is my favorite song right now. It's so incredible, it's the most creative blend of classical and contemporary they've done. I also think it suits the subject matter splendidly. The song is musically indefinable as it traverses from contemporary to classics and then weaves the two together and is a great parallel to the undefinable and special nature that love is.

The lyrics are a bit corny as per usual, but they really kind of hit home this time, successfully articulating the difficulty of expressing a feeling like love, coming to the final conclusion that all you can say is "I belong to you"

It's a very thoughtful song, really very inspiring and I think one of the strengths of the album. I know that even though I'm not in love right now, when I listen to I Belong to You it evokes shadows and past feelings of loves-once-had.

Sorry for the random review, but I really wanted to share how I've been feeling about this song and thought who better than to share it with than the Muse board.

I can't but agree that this is a good song, albeit the french is still dodgy. I do, however, absolutely love how he sings "I belong to you" just after the French. It reminds me of older musicals like Les Parapluies de Cherbourg et al and it's really impressive by him. Actually, it's one of those rare occasions his vibrato works fantastically.

Guest QueenOfNerds
The French part of this song is taken from Camille Saint-Saën's opera Samson et Dalila which is based on a biblical tale from the Old Testament's Book of Judges. The story is about the power struggle between the two lovers. Dalila tries to seduce Samson in order control him, but he has a greater purpose...leading the Hebrews to conquer the Philistines.

The part of the opera in this Muse song roughly translates to "my heart opens itself to your voice" and starts with Dalila singing and Samson joining in with the second verse. It sounds like a beautiful love song but in context, it is her seducing Samson in order to exact revenge and destroy him.

The story ends in a Philistine temple with Dalila taunting Samson with the details of her deception during a variation of this love song. His strength has been taken, he is blinded and shackled. When the high priest tries to get him to kneel to their gods, he is able to pull down the two pillars of the temple causing it to fall and destroy all of his enemies including Dalila.

Since Matt is not the most religious of people, I think perhaps he is equating this story to that of his personal life with his finance, Gaia Polloni. Judging from interviews they are both brilliant people with very strong personalities and there is probably a constant power struggle that exists between the two. I am curious when her birthday is, because if she is a Leo, this would be further proof of this possible theory. I know how Leo's are, I am one myself! In his version of the song, it seems that he is saying that she will be the one that is victorious in the end, "when these pillars get pulled down, it will be you that wears the crown". He is submitting to her and is promising her all of his love. He is also commenting that he is misunderstood by her. Maybe you should learn some more Italian Matt!!! Just kiddin.

Also, when he says "You’re my guiding lightning strike" this is also in reference to the opera. In the opera, God creates the lighting to warn Samson, but to Bellamy, he is perhaps equating Gaia as his own higher power. (Personal Jesus comes to mind from Depeche Mode)

In an interview, Gaia says that Matt has not written a song for her. But she does think of "Starlight" belonging to them. This song is so much deeper and more powerful than Starlight. I think he wrote this song for her and it is the most beautiful juxtaposition of rock and opera that I have ever heard. The insinuations that can be extracted from the allusions to the Old Testament is pure genius.

Gaia Polloni is the luckiest woman in the world to have such an amazing love song written for her! I hope she realizes what these words mean, because I can't see Matt as the type of person to explain them to her. Even though he does butcher the french language a bit, he never ceases to amaze with his boldness and creativity.

I recently lost my 33 year old husband to cancer, and just when I think there is nothing left for me in this world, Muse comes out with a new album that is actually able to make me feel something after being numb and empty for so long. :$:$:$

Job well done guys!:D

I am so sorry to hear that. There are no words.

I think you are right Gaia is very lucky to have such a song written about her. He is obviously truly in love. It's always a risk to give yourself completely to love without the hope of return, but it is a risk worth taking and I think she is worth it too!

My dad likes to put on music, and turn the volume up loud, when my mom isn't at home.

We just ate dinner, and today, he had put on a CD of classic love songs.

I suddenly stopped eating, listened closely to the music, and asked, if that wasn't Samson et Delilah...

He was quite impressed :p

As someon has already pointed out, a new version of this is being recorded for the New Moon Soundtrack. The tracklisting lists it as I Belong To You (New Moon Remix).

Apparently Matt agreed to recording a new version of it for the soundtrack as he feels that it's a song that won't be played live much by Muse. If the director of New Moon had wanted a "bigger" song off the album they would've said no apparently.

Shame about the lack of liveness, this would rock so much live!!

Taking about Matt and his partner,I have to say I was thinking about it when I herd Guiding light and the lyrics ,Loved by numbers Your loosing, life's wonder . Made me wonder. if this had a reference to his relationship Loved by numbers being his fans but losing life wonders, not having time for a proper relationship. Its a sad song . But needs its own thread

Archived