What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)  

823 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (of the 30 sec preview)

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds ok.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

The French part of this song is taken from Camille Saint-Saën's opera Samson et Dalila which is based on a biblical tale from the Old Testament's Book of Judges. The story is about the power struggle between the two lovers. Dalila tries to seduce Samson in order control him, but he has a greater purpose...leading the Hebrews to conquer the Philistines.

The part of the opera in this Muse song roughly translates to "my heart opens itself to your voice" and starts with Dalila singing and Samson joining in with the second verse. It sounds like a beautiful love song but in context, it is her seducing Samson in order to exact revenge and destroy him.

The story ends in a Philistine temple with Dalila taunting Samson with the details of her deception during a variation of this love song. His strength has been taken, he is blinded and shackled. When the high priest tries to get him to kneel to their gods, he is able to pull down the two pillars of the temple causing it to fall and destroy all of his enemies including Dalila.

Since Matt is not the most religious of people, I think perhaps he is equating this story to that of his personal life with his finance, Gaia Polloni. Judging from interviews they are both brilliant people with very strong personalities and there is probably a constant power struggle that exists between the two. I am curious when her birthday is, because if she is a Leo, this would be further proof of this possible theory. I know how Leo's are, I am one myself! In his version of the song, it seems that he is saying that she will be the one that is victorious in the end, "when these pillars get pulled down, it will be you that wears the crown". He is submitting to her and is promising her all of his love. He is also commenting that he is misunderstood by her. Maybe you should learn some more Italian Matt!!! Just kiddin.

Also, when he says "You’re my guiding lightning strike" this is also in reference to the opera. In the opera, God creates the lighting to warn Samson, but to Bellamy, he is perhaps equating Gaia as his own higher power. (Personal Jesus comes to mind from Depeche Mode)

In an interview, Gaia says that Matt has not written a song for her. But she does think of "Starlight" belonging to them. This song is so much deeper and more powerful than Starlight. I think he wrote this song for her and it is the most beautiful juxtaposition of rock and opera that I have ever heard. The insinuations that can be extracted from the allusions to the Old Testament is pure genius.

Gaia Polloni is the luckiest woman in the world to have such an amazing love song written for her! I hope she realizes what these words mean, because I can't see Matt as the type of person to explain them to her. Even though he does butcher the french language a bit, he never ceases to amaze with his boldness and creativity.

I recently lost my 33 year old husband to cancer, and just when I think there is nothing left for me in this world, Muse comes out with a new album that is actually able to make me feel something after being numb and empty for so long. :$:$:$

Job well done guys!:D

The French part of this song is taken from Camille Saint-Saën's opera Samson et Dalila which is based on a biblical tale from the Old Testament's Book of Judges. The story is about the power struggle between the two lovers. Dalila tries to seduce Samson in order control him, but he has a greater purpose...leading the Hebrews to conquer the Philistines.

The part of the opera in this Muse song roughly translates to "my heart opens itself to your voice" and starts with Dalila singing and Samson joining in with the second verse. It sounds like a beautiful love song but in context, it is her seducing Samson in order to exact revenge and destroy him.

The story ends in a Philistine temple with Dalila taunting Samson with the details of her deception during a variation of this love song. His strength has been taken, he is blinded and shackled. When the high priest tries to get him to kneel to their gods, he is able to pull down the two pillars of the temple causing it to fall and destroy all of his enemies including Dalila.

Since Matt is not the most religious of people, I think perhaps he is equating this story to that of his personal life with his finance, Gaia Polloni. Judging from interviews they are both brilliant people with very strong personalities and there is probably a constant power struggle that exists between the two. I am curious when her birthday is, because if she is a Leo, this would be further proof of this possible theory. I know how Leo's are, I am one myself! In his version of the song, it seems that he is saying that she will be the one that is victorious in the end, "when these pillars get pulled down, it will be you that wears the crown". He is submitting to her and is promising her all of his love. He is also commenting that he is misunderstood by her. Maybe you should learn some more Italian Matt!!! Just kiddin.

Also, when he says "You’re my guiding lightning strike" this is also in reference to the opera. In the opera, God creates the lighting to warn Samson, but to Bellamy, he is perhaps equating Gaia as his own higher power. (Personal Jesus comes to mind from Depeche Mode)

In an interview, Gaia says that Matt has not written a song for her. But she does think of "Starlight" belonging to them. This song is so much deeper and more powerful than Starlight. I think he wrote this song for her and it is the most beautiful juxtaposition of rock and opera that I have ever heard. The insinuations that can be extracted from the allusions to the Old Testament is pure genius.

Gaia Polloni is the luckiest woman in the world to have such an amazing love song written for her! I hope she realizes what these words mean, because I can't see Matt as the type of person to explain them to her. Even though he does butcher the french language a bit, he never ceases to amaze with his boldness and creativity.

I recently lost my 33 year old husband to cancer, and just when I think there is nothing left for me in this world, Muse comes out with a new album that is actually able to make me feel something after being numb and empty for so long. :$:$:$

Omg. This is the best post I think I've ever had the pleasure to read on here. You gave the song has a whole new meaning, and somehow I respect Matt even more for it (if that's possible).

You are......I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry about your husband :supersad:

I see you live in California, we should meet up at a Muse gig when they get to the US leg of their tour. :happy: just wow.

Omg. This is the best post I think I've ever had the pleasure to read on here. You gave the song has a whole new meaning, and somehow I respect Matt even more for it (if that's possible).

You are......I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry about your husband :supersad:

I see you live in California, we should meet up at a Muse gig when they get to the US leg of their tour. :happy: just wow.

I would definitely go to a Muse show with you! I can't wait for them to make it to California! Thank you for the kind remarks! Like I said, I just have too much time on my hands and a major case of insomnia right now, but these are my personal reflections on the song. Who knows what is going through the amazing mind of Mr. Mathew James Bellamy??? His genius never ceases to amaze me!

I remember a while back reading a post from a fan about the song City of Delusion that blew me away! There is so much depth and symbolism contained in the lyrics of their songs. You can pull back the layers forever.

Found the link...check out the posting from Luckymuse. She is quoting from someone off this forum and doesn't give them credit which kind of sucks, but their interpretation has always fascinated me.

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858605470/#73015105522

This post is amazing, the song makes so much more sense now!:D

Cheers!

there was a thread before about people crying in Exogenesis. I didn't cry in that at all.

I was listening to this song thinking I enjoyed it and it suddenly started to change. I thought it sounded vaguely familiar, and then Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta Voix, a song I didn't recognise just exploded and I got hit in the face with this bizarre intense memory of this song and uh I just started crying uncontrollably. It was very odd.

Recognised Collateral Damage as well, realised that my ma used to play it on the piano a lot. However I didn't have quite such a violent reaction to it as I did to this.

I think this is my favourite song now, however I'm a little scared to listen to it again in case I end up bursting in to tears with my mouth frozen open in shock again.

Then again it was very late and I'd had a rather up and down day... ah well I don't know. Only listened once so far. I look forward to more.

awwww.. wow, pretty deep love song then, amazing..... i would say it would be awesome if gaia saw this.. but that would mean a possible run in with the PMT :chuckle:

I only got my cd in the mail today, so today was my first proper listen of the album. I was going to say that although I love this song, during the French part I find myself just waiting for it to be over. But really, after reading the posts on here, bestmusefan's in particular, I can appreciate that section alot more. :)

The clarinet, though? That's just lolzy and always will be. :LOL:

After listening to the album about a dozen times now and really breaking down each song, I have concluded, in my opinion, "I Belong to You" is vastly underrated and is just wonderful work by the boys. Matt's haunting yet beautiful crooning vocals are just amazing on this track. I also like the catchy beats and can even deal with the clarinet! ;)

Call me crazy, I know, but I think this one is quite good and offers another diversion from the hard-driving, bombastic rock we all love. I respect and like the fact that the boys are mixing things up. ;)

Oh bless your face. *massive e-hugs*

I only got my cd in the mail today, so today was my first proper listen of the album. I was going to say that although I love this song, during the French part I find myself just waiting for it to be over. But really, after reading the posts on here, bestmusefan's in particular, I can appreciate that section alot more. :)

The clarinet, though? That's just lolzy and always will be. :LOL:

the more you listen, the more you will love it. trust me, I was laughing at first too (and I still do :chuckle:) but now I can appreciate the music despite the hilarity of it :D

Was going to hold off on getting The Resistance till October due to lack of funds but after hearing I Belong To You at the end of the XFM setlist (and listening to Matt, Dom and Chris disclosing more about the album), I decided to take the plunge after my initial fears...and I love the album. Start off by saying that :)

It seems to combine all the big things and perhaps forgotten things from previous albums and set sail in a totally new direction. Some reviews have hinted that the songs sound similar to other artists. A bit of Ultra Vox here and I swear that I heard Lady Gaga in there somewhere, but more than that, Muse have taken elements of THEIR previous work and woven it into The Resistance. (UnNatural Selection sounds like it could have been on Absolution and Resistance seems like a natural progression from 'Interlude' from the same album.

Some bands would have just done a greatest hits package and be done with it but Muse have packaged up what makes them special and produced an album of epic proportions. An album about Protests, Super Powers, Going to a new planet...quite simply wow.

But on first listen...(still only got to Exogenesis part 1), I belong to you is one of my fave songs of theirs. Love how it suddenly picks up near the end as if it's starting again and for me, its a song I never want to end.

It's fun, funky, hip, soulful, jazzy...above all, superb. Like the album. Muse have made an album for us, the fans. Not everyone else. Rejoice. :D:D

Archived