Something Human

The verses are fine but the chorus is blander than bland. Is this really the best radio material they have this time around? Matt has really lost his writing edge.

I can't imagine ever purposely putting this song on. :erm:

Edited by sade

But why would I be excited for acoustic versions of songs I don't care for?

becauuuuuuse

a) different versions of a song can have different impacts. Shine? Yeah s’ok I guess. Shine Acoustic? One of the best things they’ve done. Hyper Music? Solid angsty rock song. HCM? Wow. (etc)

and b) it’s not just acoustic. By the sound of it, it’s totally alternate versions (like the songs above). I think the idea is the it’ll be mostly stripped back from the album versions but there’ll be acoustic stuff, gospel stuff, piano stuff, ‘dreamy/ethereal’ stuff, who knows what else. Potentially almost completely different from the original songs in some cases and a side to them you wouldn’t get to hear otherwise.

becauuuuuuse

a) different versions of a song can have different impacts. Shine? Yeah s’ok I guess. Shine Acoustic? One of the best things they’ve done. Hyper Music? Solid angsty rock song. HCM? Wow. (etc)

and b) it’s not just acoustic. By the sound of it, it’s totally alternate versions (like the songs above). I think the idea is the it’ll be mostly stripped back from the album versions but there’ll be acoustic stuff, gospel stuff, piano stuff, ‘dreamy/ethereal’ stuff, who knows what else. Potentially almost completely different from the original songs in some cases and a side to them you wouldn’t get to hear otherwise.

I'm now more excited for disc two than I previously was.

But why would I be excited for acoustic versions of songs I don't care for?

I'm mildly excited about them, mostly because those versions don't appear to be made in order to appeal to the masses, either commercially or with some kind of stage show in mind. Granted, I have no idea how Dig Down can turn into a decent song in any configuration, but I'm happy to either be surprised or skip one song.

I really look forward to the stripped down versions of the songs. Other than that, I have tempered my expectations a bit with regards to the new album.

For anyone interested, I did a quick cover of Something Human, with instrumentation somewhere in between of the released version and an acoustic take. You can find it on the link below (if this is the wrong place to post it, let me know!).

Cheers,

Oscar

For me... it might be the first album I am not going to buy. I've not been 'digging' the songs so far.

I haven't been inclined to listen to any of these 3 singles more than a few times each. They've all been pretty forgettable and disposable for me. Nowadays, I'll buy some vinyl from time to time but never CD's anymore. I'll naturally check out the new Muse album on Tidal, Spotify or whatever. That said, I can't imagine spending too much time with it even over a streaming service unless the rest of the album is drastically better than what they've released so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...