Drones World Tour: The Movie

It looks gorgeous because the concert looks gorgeous, not for the impressive directing.

idk man, this looks a shit ton better than the Drones footage so far to me - in terms of quality, cinematography, depth of field, editing, everything

tumblr_oquvtdyXmm1u3ryozo1_500.gif

original.gif

tumblr_mwomdh1tKw1qdr3s3o9_r1_500.gif

tumblr_os07upJcgC1ws32yeo1_500.gif

Rome looked great, but the editing/cutting made it feel rather dull imo.

You mean ‘cos they feel long? I like that tbh, gives you chance to really soak in the image, ‘specially with the quality. Give it HAARP’s tracklist and I’d be surprised if it still felt boring.

Edited by Jobby

Yeah there's some wonderful shots like the running scene and the opening explosion where the crowd starts pressing in (that might be one of my favorite shots in any live recording).

There's also a lot of incredibly boring framing just pointing at a band member in the most basic of shots.And a few cases of edits that follow the beat which never doesn't look cheesy. It does it for one of the drum fills in Survival and it's really grating. More than anything I saw in Drones so far at least.

Question to you fine people who went: was that weird filter you could see in the YT clips on the whole film?

No. Wasn't on it at all, so far as I can remember.

That was all delightfully terrible in so many respects.

The (mainly) awful setlist - I think the Drones tracks sounded fantastic, but the lack of variety was otherwise as dull as expected. Take A Bow was the highlight of the whole thing though.

All the focus on Matt's little bits of presentation, strutting about sans guitar, the barrier walks, etc. Ergh. They come over so fake and prepared. I had to cringe so much.

Also, having to sit through Drones itself twice was every bit as boring as it was at the gig.

Also also, there is absolutely nothing 'augmented' about this at all, with the exception of painting in the drones. The rest of it actually looked quite nice. They colours were vibrant in all the right places (nowhere near the extent Rome was) and there was so much Wolstenholme pr0n which is just fine by me.

No. Wasn't on it at all, so far as I can remember.

Thank god.

Also, I saw a post on /r/Muse claiming that the vocal track for the globalist and the beginning of take a bow were replaced with the studio vocal tracks. Is this bollocks? Seems crazy to me to jump over touching/over dubbing straight to studio tracks.

I couldn't go but I hope they release it digitally, would like to take a peek.

Thank god.

Also, I saw a post on /r/Muse claiming that the vocal track for the globalist and the beginning of take a bow were replaced with the studio vocal tracks. Is this bollocks? Seems crazy to me to jump over touching/over dubbing straight to studio tracks.

I questioned that person on reddit, I’m calling bullshit on completely layering in studio vocals. At most they’d pick and choose vocals across different performances if Matt cocked up at certain points. Personally it sounded live to me, obviously overproduced to fuck though...to be expected.

I questioned that person on reddit, I’m calling bullshit on completely layering in studio vocals. At most they’d pick and choose vocals across different performances if Matt cocked up at certain points. Personally it sounded live to me, obviously overproduced to fuck though...to be expected.

Yeah I find it hard to believe, and that persons reasoning didn't seem very solid either. Seems to be the only one claiming those things, too. Doesn't even make sense, if they were going to replace anything in TaB it would be the last chunk with the high chest notes (as matt sometimes struggles with them), not the start.

Yeah I find it hard to believe, and that persons reasoning didn't seem very solid either. Seems to be the only one claiming those things, too. Doesn't even make sense, if they were going to replace anything in TaB it would be the last chunk with the high chest notes (as matt sometimes struggles with them), not the start.

Yeah, exactly. I’m under no illusions that the vocal had been extensively polished, that’s to be expected. But to suggest they replaced whole sections with studio vocals, when there was no evidence of it is misleading for those who haven’t seen it.

Thank god.

Sorry but it was 100% definitely there, for a lot of it. I either got numb to it, or it was used less towards the end. It was very obvious at the start, just like in the trailers.

As for the globalist, the only bit that is studio vocals IIRC, is the whole bridge 'choir bit' while dom 'sings' into the mic. I mean, fine. But maybe putting dom in shot is a bit on the nose.

Sorry but it was 100% definitely there, for a lot of it. I either got numb to it, or it was used less towards the end. It was very obvious at the start, just like in the trailers.

As for the globalist, the only bit that is studio vocals IIRC, is the whole bridge 'choir bit' while dom 'sings' into the mic. I mean, fine. But maybe putting dom in shot is a bit on the nose.

To be fair, Dom is meant to be “triggering” the vocals with his voice, not actually singing...obviously. Although I cynically assume Dom’s voice does diddly squat.

Thank god.

Now I haven’t seen the film and have no comment on whether this was overdubbed, but it’s worth mentioning that Muse overdubbed the ending note of Survival on the Rome release.

While we are on the vocals. Sounded like they tried to hide Matts falsettos by lowering them in the mix on Thw Handler and adding crowd singing in Madness
Oh yeah, I was wondering how they were gonna solve that :LOL:

I heard a lot of 'mistakes' in this release compared to Rome. It felt as they left some of it be for the whole rock live feeling they loved talking about during the tour. I'm glad they did tbh, but some songs were not their best performances (read: The Handler).

I'm really happy about the pro audio of Vuilstaamen riff though. It was the best part of the whole thing :LOL:

More thoughts but I actually had fun with it. The theater's surround sound mixed nicely with the audio and it had a real live feel more than any other live album I've heard although I've never seen another in the theater.

The set was more energetic than the last one but it is still disappointing only the Drones tracks were new especially when all the other songs have had better performances in their other live albums. And having no main piano section is a sad reflection on the actual live show trends.

The editing effects did get overbearing but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I do give credit to the editors trying to maintain continuity while the band is spinning around watch?v=64HPswRT5UU.

The fast editing and blending effects at least gave something. In Rome you could just point the camera at the stage and get a beautiful shot but here the prevailing color is just... black. There's not a lot you can do in regards to wide shots.

The lack of color still makes everything seem very cold and distant. Matt was never an interactive lead but there was always this connection through the performance and that gets lost in the mechanical and dull aesthetic of their setup. The film couldn't save that. It didn't help there was nothing special about these shows either.

Vuilstaamen pro shot was really nice too. I ddin't even know they did that. Would've fucked me up since usually not playing Black in Black after Hysteria means they're gonna play the full song later.