Drones World Tour: The Movie

The only unusual songs that have been part of the recorded gigs are Take A Bow, Citizen Erased, USoE and Apocalypse Please iirc. We probably won’t see any of them though. Wonder when they’ll dare to release a rarity gig. I still believe that hardcore fans are almost the only ones buying Muse live releases.

Oh and Kueller, haven’t seen anything personally!

The place I saw Rome was a dump. One of those hipster indie kind of dumps that might be fun for art films, but yeah, didn't really fit a concert like that in the slightest. Sound was shoddy, seating was shoddy, and they misrepresented it being in 4k and then said they "didn't get the projector on loan as intended" from the sister theater.

I'm curious to know if there's sfx other than the orbs that's been altered. We knew all along that something went wrong with the orbs (although not exactly what until later) but it seems incredibly odd to put that stuff back into the movie release.

Wonder when they’ll dare to release a rarity gig. I still believe that hardcore fans are almost the only ones buying Muse live releases.

Innit, I’m p certain they only put these out to showcase the productions nowadays though, as opposed to picking gigs that’re actually special. Which is a shame but, meh, if that’s where their heads’ at. At least they’ve bothered to record both By Request shows so far I guess, even if it’s only through occasionally dodgy live streams.

So those who saw them on tour basically paid good money to see the dress rehearsal for this movie?

I get we all hate Muse and all but this is a bit of an exaggeration innit

Trailer’s out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZ2zRk1Grs

Shame it doesn’t feature any of the BTS stuff or new special fx. Standard fare really, nicely shot though.

Did look cool tbf.

So those who saw them on tour basically paid good money to see the dress rehearsal for this movie?

Yeah... kind of.

Bit weird. I get the overdubbing of the actual tour visuals, but the embryo shit is weird.

Bit weird. I get the overdubbing of the actual tour visuals, but the embryo shit is weird.

The embryo stuff would have been pretty damn cool if they could have pulled it off in real life. Instead I saw one wobble drone try to stay afloat for 5 minutes, while the rest remained docked in the ceiling.

I don't mind additions. A live gig and its recorded version will never be the same experience and a dvd will never capture the true liveness of the moment; even unaltered footage of the gigs I went to feel completely different from what I saw. So I'm okay with them using what a polished release can offer to enhance it (assuming the sfx do but that's another debate).

I suppose that theoretically this argument could extend to vocal overdubbing but I do mind it so I guess altering the performance itself is problematic, but altering the wrapping isn't to me.

The tricky part is not to make it a false promise or advertisement of the gigs, but since it's being released after the tour this isn't really an issue here.

Edited by Zepp

^^ Agreed. And it would look pretty stupid to show footage with broken drones anyhow. While the sound on the drones tour was great, there were a fair number of stage technical difficulties that did hamper some of the show. I’m excited to see what the full concept is, and what the full functioning show was like.

Better the visuals than the audio but I'd rather have no major alterations to neither. The idea of concerts being rehearsal for a movie though I still find ridiculous and against any stance we've had about caring more for the performance than how many things fly above our heads. I was also at Oakland. Many other people still got at least decent shows.

I knew that argument would come.

No, of course not. But there is a difference between changing the color setting, fixing a mix, overdubbing a guitar to make it stronger and actually replacing the original note Matt sung with a higher one to give the impression that he's a more impressive singer or something like that. And depending on how it's presented, I think adding visual elements to the recording belongs in the latter category. If people walk out of the cinema thinking that's what the shows were like, then I think it's pretty shady by Muse.

I knew that argument would come.

No, of course not. But there is a difference between changing the color setting, fixing a mix, overdubbing a guitar to make it stronger and actually replacing the original note Matt sung with a higher one to give the impression that he's a more impressive singer or something like that. And depending on how it's presented, I think adding visual elements to the recording belongs in the latter category. If people walk out of the cinema thinking that's what the shows were like, then I think it's pretty shady by Muse.

I'm pretty sure 95% of the people in cinema went to see the show

It's a one day event, so basically it's 200-1000 capacity per city. Do you think a lot of casuals go to see those?

Rome was screened all over the world in places where that particular tour didn't happen due to the stadium one being very limited.

My area has multiple screenings of this Drones one and the nearest town the tour came to was at least 9 hours away... so yes, I DO think a lot of people are going to see this who never saw the actual gig...

For me, the extra fx aren’t a problem as long as they’re advertised like that (and they are). Hopefully some of the BTS stuff will show them talking about wanting visual effects in the drones but not being able to do it.