Madness

Time Is Running Out

Uprising

The Globalist

~Drones~

Take A Bow

Mercy

MWAH - Knights Of Cydonia

So they played Prelude making me think were were about to hear Survival (a great song). What a tease.

So they played Prelude making me think were were about to hear Survival (a great song). What a tease.

Not that it’s a prerequisite to watching the film so I don’t necessarily blame you but...you really didn’t pay attention to any of that tour, huh? :chuckle:

I guess this reflects their intention to do a stream/download only and not put out a DVD/Blu Ray release. An intentional 4.0 mix to give an "all-encompassing, in the round concert feel" wouldn't be good enough to justify purchase for many when it's so far behind accepted home theater standards (5.1, 7.1 etc). On a fairly cheap download they can just provide a basic stereo mix and be done with it. Their next full scale live release will probably be aiming for better visual/audio fidelity than Rome - I guess this is just a stop-gap :p

EDIT: Have just seen Marc Carolan's instagram post about the hard work put into the mix. Perhaps he decided to take a more experimental approach after the physical release was ruled out? It seems to have worked better for some than others ...

It must be like you say, but still, why bother screening it in an audio format that is not optimal anymore for the majority of cinemas, then? Couldn't they have made it available by download or streaming right from the start?

If they really didn't want to discard the occasion of screening it worldwide, they should have produced at least two versions of the final mix basing on the audio format, it's to say 5.1 or 7.1 for cinemas and 4.0 for online download. Or, even better, they could have done like Rome and issued it in DVD/BluRay for even bigger revenues than they have made with a single (or two-) day screening, mantaining the same audio format for cinemas. But of course, DVD are obsolete, right Matt?

I may be too harsh on the production team, but I think they've made a too hasty, too rough job all around for the scale they aimed to without thinking of all the necessary details throughout.

Saw it in a cinema in Madrid, where a couple of people did cheer all the songs and during Knights the guy in front was singing to all the riffs. Which was different. I also noted there were laughs at the Something Human snippet, which tbf, I thought looked a bit like full-on 80s cheese.

In the whole it sounded good, if as said, some bits were better quality than others (Psycho was pleasingly heavy, whereas the Reapers outro lacked the oomph I felt it had live, for instance), and it mercifully didn't have that weird filter on every shot. I also thought they might have added more stuff to the drones, although I did like the SMBH/Starlight drone illustrations.

No Plug in Baby did surprise me if only because I could swear a media article plugging the film referenced the track's inclusion.

Also did make me laugh that Matt spent most the video thanking Berlin and referencing being back in Germany, and then right at the end Dom yells "Thank you Milan!" I know it was filmed at both and Amsterdam (although I thought some footage also looked like it came from the London O2 gigs), and that the film clearly wasn't big on continuity, but still...

On the (lack of) continuity front, I may well be wrong but I’m sure that at the end of Reapers I saw Matt pick up the Mirror guitar (or a similar model) as if they were going to play PiB, before Hysteria started instead (with a different guitar) :chuckle:

On the (lack of) continuity front, I may well be wrong but I’m sure that at the end of Reapers I saw Matt pick up the Mirror guitar (or a similar model) as if they were going to play PiB, before Hysteria started instead (with a different guitar) :chuckle:

YES! I noticed that.

No way. Just... no way. Professionals can't make continuity errors like that and maybe expect people to be so stupid to the point of not noticing.

This film is shabby work...

No way. Just... no way. Professionals can't make continuity errors like that and maybe expect people to be so stupid to the point of not noticing.

This film is shabby work...

Huh? Doesn’t sound like a big deal to me.

Huh? Doesn’t sound like a big deal to me.

Uh... That actually came out a bit too exaggerated, now that I read it this morning... :$

It's just that you have to be careful with that kind of details, imho, or you could ruin the spectator's... sense of disbelief, if you know what I'm talking about.

In the Psycho video they hid the fact the images were taken from three different gigs quite well, thanks also to the frenetic, furious and vertigo-inducing editing, but if you let slip a shot in which the frontman is being given a different guitar than the song immediately played afterwards it's not very good for building a sense of continuity. It may be just me, I don't know, but that's what I think about all of that.

I mean, to be fair, I also spotted the bass lights changing a lot, and I also think I spotted a frame where Matt had a guitar for Dead Inside when wandering about before they decided instead to use the guitar-stand and barrier walk thing, but yeah, that was a big one.

Was it worked out where they bought back for Europe? I thought the only one was those attempts in the USA where the guitar didn't work and so the idea was aborted.

Well unless it was revived for one of the Milan gigs. When I saw on YouTube, the Berlin one looked as though it was played with normal guitar.

Don’t really like the idea of watching a mash-up of multiple gigs for a live film tbh, unless it’s obvious or they list what songs or from which gigs. With them always wearing the same outfits, it all blurs together though, intentionally I guess. I know you rarely get to just watch one full gig play out (and idm changes for mistakes like HAARP’s Map) but something like this is almost weird to me, like what you’re watching didn’t even really happen, it was just cut together. Effectively a compilation presented under the illusion of being one thing.

That’s just me though, idk. Ignore me if I’m chatting shit.

Incidentally, was Vulistamen the outro riff after Hysteria?

Don't think I'd heard the full riff before. Thought it sounded great.

YES, now get on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIR5PWdBGu8

Edited by Jobby

Don’t really like the idea of watching a mash-up of multiple gigs for a live film tbh, unless it’s obvious or they list what songs or from which gigs. With them always wearing the same outfits, it all blurs together though, intentionally I guess. I know you rarely get to just watch one full gig play out (and idm changes for mistakes like HAARP’s Map) but something like this is almost weird to me, like what you’re watching didn’t even really happen, it was just cut together. Effectively a compilation presented under the illusion of being one thing.

That’s just me though, idk. Ignore me if I’m chatting shit.

I've seen it before, it's not that big of a deal. The idea being it's a "tour" video so it'll take from different shows to give a wider perspective of the tour. And given the distant nature of the concerts they blend together well.

I don’t know why but the end of the Vuilstamen riff seemed jarring...

At the gig they also play Back in Black riff after that riff however they cut that part for the film so that's why it seems a bit odd.

• 1 year later...

I just found out about it 😍 the channel is a collaboration between German, Austrian and Swiss channels. They always show concerts all night and day long on New years eve 😎 I am wondering if other channels will show it as well then? 

proof: 

Edited by Claudia O

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...