Drones World Tour: The Movie

I heard a lot of 'mistakes' in this release compared to Rome. It felt as they left some of it be for the whole rock live feeling they loved talking about during the tour. I'm glad they did tbh.

:yesey: Same here— it was pretty refreshing to hear the mistakes.

I really enjoyed the movie! The bass was quite flat at my showing. I couldn’t tell if it was the theater audio or just myself being so used to the lush audio live. Also, MWAH was ear piercingly painful. My ears were ringing after the showing— I didn’t even consider bringing earplugs to a movie theater. :supersad:

The visual effects (drone fetuses) weren’t as intrusive as I thought they’d be and added just enough enjoyable decor to everything. I wasn’t really keen on that weird posterize filter used throughout the film. But the cinematography did capture the excitement and experience pretty well.

I avoided setlist spoilers, so TaB was a nice surprise. :awesome: Definitely my favorite moment.

Oh— other negatives from the experience that were theater related. We arrived at 6:55 when the show was supposed to start at 7 and it was already midway through the set. The theater then backtracked the film, but left off the first few minutes of the intro. And no song previews at the end of the credits. People in the theater were super annoyed and were waiting around for more info.

Edited by JessicaSarahS

MWAH was so loud. It was jarring when Knights came in and was so quiet.

I didn't have the hearing-damage-inducing volumes though a lot of people reported. Fortunately I had earplugs anyways since I had to take the subway which does have hearing-damage-inducing volumes.

Also, I accidentally laughed out loud in the theatre when Prelude got on as some epic - well - prelude to Starlight. It felt even more trolly than live since it basically was the studio version in studio version quality

MWAH was so loud. It was jarring when Knights came in and was so quiet.

I didn't have the hearing-damage-inducing volumes though a lot of people reported. Fortunately I had earplugs anyways since I had to take the subway which does have hearing-damage-inducing volumes.

Yeah, the movie did run fairly loud overall, but it could have used more oomph.

Good thing you were prepared!

I have a friend who is telling me an unseen version of Aftermath was included in the film. I have a huge feeling he's just pulling my leg, as I doubt it would suddenly be played live for the film, but can anyone verify this anyway?

Aftermath was only in the opening, as the studio version.

Looking like you didn't really miss anything. Been seeing there was a lot of audio problems at peoples screenings, how was your experience?

Depends on what you mean with "problems", but no, not really. Sound mix left some to be desired though and as someone else said, I luckily had earplugs to protect me from some of the high and uneven volumes.

But I will personally enjoy it alot more at home, in stereo mix instead of 5.1 surround and with my volume of choice... ;) Not a fan of 5.1 when it comes to music

Audience was mixed extremely loud at times.

I missed a performance of Defector though... Hopefully it can be added as a bonus track or something when it's released digitally. I still hope there will be a physical copy somehow, perhaps included with a collector's edition of the next album or something. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dysfunco

Found it quite amusing they included the ridiculous guitar stand for the DI solo :chuckle:

The sound in the cinema I went to was good most of the time, but there were a few bits where it hurt with the crowd noise being so high, it even drowned out the band sometimes.

Also, having to sit through Drones itself twice was every bit as boring as it was at the gig.

Oh god, this. I was having flashbacks :stunned:

The (mainly) awful setlist - I think the Drones tracks sounded fantastic, but the lack of variety was otherwise as dull as expected. Take A Bow was the highlight of the whole thing though.

All the focus on Matt's little bits of presentation, strutting about sans guitar, the barrier walks, etc. Ergh. They come over so fake and prepared. I had to cringe so much.

The lack of color still makes everything seem very cold and distant. Matt was never an interactive lead but there was always this connection through the performance and that gets lost in the mechanical and dull aesthetic of their setup. The film couldn't save that. It didn't help there was nothing special about these shows either.

Agree with all of this. I thought it captured the experience of the tour well -- that is, a tight performance of (mostly the same, dull) songs, but with no emotion or audience connection. The scripted nature of the tour seemed almost amplified in the film, which surprised me. I was hoping they'd take the opportunity to make it more exciting/emotional. I think I saw one brief shot of Chris smiling at Dom. Other than that the band as a whole came across as just kind of cold and robotic to me.

And I have to disagree about the effects -- those drones fetuses distracted the hell out of me to the point where I couldn't even focus on the song. I was just like WTF is this?

I came on here to see if anyone had any comments about the snippet after the credits but haven't seen anything. I know you can't judge much on a 2 second clip but it sounded like shit. It's funny -- we had about 30 people in our theater and when that tiny clip played, then stopped, I think we all expected some guitars to kick in or something and the "real song" to start. Instead, that....was...it. Everybody burst out laughing like "THAT'S IT?" it was a pretty funny end to the evening tbh :LOL:

Aside from the terrible sound and the lady behind me talking all the time, I enjoyed the show. The mids were cranked and harsh. Bellamy's Kemper sound just stood out at me. I was wishing I had brought my ear plugs and today my ears are sore. The EQ in these theaters is pretty messed up. They didn't use the drones at my show (late start) so it was cool to see how they used them.

Great movie! The sound engineering was phenomenal and was almost like a gig seeing MUSE on the big screen.

I was pleased to see that Morgan Nicholls got some screen time (he deserves it).

That was some quality cabassing there, I did have a little giggle to myself when the dude two seats from me said quite loudly, whose the dude with the primary school instrument. :LOL:

And yeah, our cinema sound was on and off, one minute it was like you were there, the next it was so quiet,it was like MUSE was too loud and they had to turn it down for the neighbors, which was a shame. all in all though was awesome, gave another view of the stage that I didn't see from my squished viewpoint.

Found it quite amusing they included the ridiculous guitar stand for the DI solo :chuckle:

The sound in the cinema I went to was good most of the time, but there were a few bits where it hurt with the crowd noise being so high, it even drowned out the band sometimes.

I don't even know which show Dead Inside was taken from as i can't see any where matt does a barrier walk from either Amsterdam, Berlin or Milan.

The only one i found was from Mexico. Is it possible they put this into the film?

I don't even know which show Dead Inside was taken from as i can't see any where matt does a barrier walk from either Amsterdam, Berlin or Milan.

The only one i found was from Mexico. Is it possible they put this into the film?

Did you check all the nights at Milan for example?

This is my complaint to the theatre re. the sound and their reply - are they taking the mickey? There were only 25 people there and six of us were unhappy.

Dear Sirs

I am writing to express my disappointment in your showing of the Muse film last night. There was obviously a sound problem with reduced volume and very little base. There appeared to be a slight improvement for the last song only. As the sound was the most important part of the film, Please could you let me know what went wrong?

Yours sincerely

EL

Thank you for your email.

I don't know why but the producers of the event decided to mix the sound as 4 channels rather than the 6 we have available, so there was no audio sent to the Sub Bass Speaker (LFE) behind the screen nor to the center speaker behind the screen. The only speakers in use were the Left and Right behind the screen and the surround speakers in the auditorium.

I've copied below an extract from the technical brief we received from the content providers

AUDIO

The feature is intentionally mixed in 4.0 to give an ‘all-encompassing, in the round’ concert feel and

to follow the concert that is in the centre of the arena on a revolving set, and not from one singular

point/stage.

We are aware there is no information on the LFE or centre channel

This does not require adjustment from the cinemas sound equipment.

So as far as we are concerned there was nothing wrong with the sound equipment in the Cinema, It was how the content / producers providers wanted it to be heard.

I did speak to a few customers at the end and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

So in closing all I can do is apologise on behalf of the producers / content providers for your disappointment. How the audio is mixed is out of our control, we can only playout what they send us.

Yours sincerely.

Neil Poole

Cinema Manager

This is my complaint to the theatre re. the sound and their reply - are they taking the mickey? There were only 25 people there and six of us were unhappy.

Dear Sirs

I am writing to express my disappointment in your showing of the Muse film last night. There was obviously a sound problem with reduced volume and very little base. There appeared to be a slight improvement for the last song only. As the sound was the most important part of the film, Please could you let me know what went wrong?

Yours sincerely

EL

Thank you for your email.

I don't know why but the producers of the event decided to mix the sound as 4 channels rather than the 6 we have available, so there was no audio sent to the Sub Bass Speaker (LFE) behind the screen nor to the center speaker behind the screen. The only speakers in use were the Left and Right behind the screen and the surround speakers in the auditorium.

I've copied below an extract from the technical brief we received from the content providers

AUDIO

The feature is intentionally mixed in 4.0 to give an ‘all-encompassing, in the round’ concert feel and

to follow the concert that is in the centre of the arena on a revolving set, and not from one singular

point/stage.

We are aware there is no information on the LFE or centre channel

This does not require adjustment from the cinemas sound equipment.

So as far as we are concerned there was nothing wrong with the sound equipment in the Cinema, It was how the content / producers providers wanted it to be heard.

I did speak to a few customers at the end and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

So in closing all I can do is apologise on behalf of the producers / content providers for your disappointment. How the audio is mixed is out of our control, we can only playout what they send us.

Yours sincerely.

Neil Poole

Cinema Manager

What? Seriously? They just mixed it in 4.0? They've produced the live concert of one of the greatest live bands on the planet in just 4.0 when we're already way beyond the 7.1 surround standard?

What was the tracklist for the film?

~Drones~

Psycho

Reapers

Interlude - Hysteria

Dead Inside

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

~Prelude~

Starlight

Madness

Time Is Running Out

Uprising

The Globalist

~Drones~

Take A Bow

Mercy

MWAH - Knights Of Cydonia

What? Seriously? They just mixed it in 4.0? They've produced the live concert of one of the greatest live bands on the planet in just 4.0 when we're already way beyond the 7.1 surround standard?

I guess this reflects their intention to do a stream/download only and not put out a DVD/Blu Ray release. An intentional 4.0 mix to give an "all-encompassing, in the round concert feel" wouldn't be good enough to justify purchase for many when it's so far behind accepted home theater standards (5.1, 7.1 etc). On a fairly cheap download they can just provide a basic stereo mix and be done with it. Their next full scale live release will probably be aiming for better visual/audio fidelity than Rome - I guess this is just a stop-gap :p

EDIT: Have just seen Marc Carolan's instagram post about the hard work put into the mix. Perhaps he decided to take a more experimental approach after the physical release was ruled out? It seems to have worked better for some than others ...

Edited by LoganMH