When fan votes happen are people clamoring for Dead Star or the pop songs?

And I’m not saying there weren’t some that got missed or were way off for sure or had hype and fell flat but the examples I gave were what a lot off people expected to be the “classic” rock driven Muse and they weren’t wrong.

It’s not hard to be right every now and again when you expect every cool-sounding title to be great though.especially not if you’re allowed to be wrong most of the time.

When fan votes happen are people clamoring for Dead Star or the pop songs?

They generally vote for rare, old stuff that they know they probs wouldn’t get another chance to see, and from a period that’s generally seen as Muse’s golden period for quality, regardless of genre. Still though, I’d say Easily, Glorious, PIB and Bliss are pretty poppy tbh.

But you were talking about how fans had called the favourites for ‘the past few albums’, and in that context I just don’t think it’s true to say that the rockier stuff you listed is inherently favoured over the pop.

And I’m not saying there weren’t some that got missed or were way off for sure or had hype and fell flat but the examples I gave were what a lot off people expected to be the “classic” rock driven Muse and they weren’t wrong.

But people were also expecting the same of songs like DI, Mercy, Revolt, Panic Station, etc. and were wrong, so there’s really no correlation or track record for being right whichever way you spin it? :LOL:

Similar to what Tjet said - a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Eh, they're pretty standard rock songs and there's a reason Origin is considered a staple in early 00s alternative by a number.

Definite pop elements though, no? Surely at least as much as a Mercy or something. Pop rock for sure but still under the broad ‘pop’ umbrella for Muse given how little out-and-out pop with no rock elements they’ve done (so far).

I’ve always found ‘alternative’ such a weird label tbh, has anyone ever clearly defined it? :LOL:

Definite pop elements though, no? Surely at least as much as a Mercy or something. Pop rock for sure but still under the broad ‘pop’ umbrella for Muse given how little out-and-out pop with no rock elements they’ve done (so far).

I’ve always found ‘alternative’ such a weird label tbh, has anyone ever clearly defined it? :LOL:

Issue I have with the pop umbrella is that pop music that's a bit edgier and with more distortion is basically what rock music is.

Did you just post in the fb group

Drones just doesn't work. I don't care if the vocals are impressive if it's not executed well. It's honestly hard to even listen to for me.

Completely agree. The Globalist followed by Drones is a terrible ending to the album.

Althought I like JKF, I'm glad this album has no Preludes or Drill Sergant's clogging up the track list.

So far I am, in a general way, disappointed with the songs that Muse has put out so far.

Sadly that does not surprise me.

Thought Contagion has its moments, but lacks in structure. I mean Matt can barely sing it without eating half of the words in the verses. On top of that the song just repeats itself over and over again (a common problem for all the songs actually...)

5/10

Something Human is probably the muse song I dislike the most in all their repertoire until now. That Ed Sheeran beat just does it for me. I never thought Guiding Light would leave the last place on my ranking... but it did.

1/10

Pressure - a good song gone to waste. I actually like 50% of that song quite a lot. But that chorus (and especially it being repeated without a reason once more at the end just kills it for me).

6/10

Dig Down is actually a song that I didnt like at first at all. The Jools performance though changed my mind more than I expected. So I am hoping the alternative version on the album is just like that and I will actually "dig it".

3/10 (Original)

7.5/10 (Alternative)

The Dark Side is by far the best of the 5 ones out. Most likely the best in the whole album. The only thing I would add to make it reach an even higher level would be a better riff before the last chorus.

8.5/10

But well we still have 6 songs to judge.

I am actually looking forward for the Propaganda one after those 20 seconds, could be deceiving though ;)

Ok well if the lyrics are terrible then is Drones really a masterpiece to you? I feel like that's half of it.

I honestly didn't even realize Drones was a cover, I thought that was Matt's original idea. Makes me like it even less.

I just think it's underrated for what they were going for. It's definitely unique in their overall discography and that's the kind of experimentation I stay around for. Your point about the lyrics though, Matt's lyrics have really never been anything more than "ok" at best so I never have high expectations in that regard. IMO it's usually been a "this song compositionally is good despite the lyrics" kind of thing even for their best tracks.

My biggest knock against parts of Drones is just the fact that 90% of The Globalist is cover material and the 10% that isn't just lifts old melodies from their own repertoire so they're covering themselves basically. I personally don't mind the gregorian chant cover because it's less specific (ergo unoriginal) to me than what they did on TG.