I just think it's underrated for what they were going for. It's definitely unique in their overall discography and that's the kind of experimentation I stay around for. Your point about the lyrics though, Matt's lyrics have really never been anything more than "ok" at best so I never have high expectations in that regard. IMO it's usually been a "this song compositionally is good despite the lyrics" kind of thing even for their best tracks.

My biggest knock against parts of Drones is just the fact that 90% of The Globalist is cover material and the 10% that isn't just lifts old melodies from their own repertoire so they're covering themselves basically. I personally don't mind the gregorian chant cover because it's less specific (ergo unoriginal) to me than what they did on TG.

It's just with that song all you have is the lyrics and Matt's voice, so I feel like the lyrics are a bigger deal. But pretty much with most Muse songs, if the lyrics are really shit and in my face then I'm not gonna like the song that much.

I can't even understand most of the lyrics in that song other than "killed by drones" so I don't really mind. I think it's a good piece and Matt sounds great, but I can't say I ever go out of my way to listen to it.

That's part of it for me. By that point in the album, I'm just so sick of hearing the word drones, and that song keeps saying "killed by drones." It seems like it's trying to be very poignant but it doesn't give me that feeling. It feels forced to me. But anyway, enough from me about Drones haha.

Another review has dropped, more in-depth stuff on Get Up and Fight and Break It To Me. However, still no mention of Blockades - reassures me that it's probably not super shit but also saddens me because it might just be forgettable :LOL:

translation in comments for those who didn't do gcse german

Another review has dropped, more in-depth stuff on Get Up and Fight and Break It To Me. However, still no mention of Blockades - reassures me that it's probably not super shit but also saddens me because it might just be forgettable :LOL:

Both reviews have given it 3 stars but the reviews themselves have me feeling pretty optimistic. They keep mentioning Prince and R&B influences and I can never get enough of either of those (while everyone else is clamoring for Fury pt.2, I'm waiting patiently for Panic Station pt.2). Still though, the two reviews seem to have quite a bit of positive things to say. I wasn't on this board when Drones was released; did it get similar buzz?

I think Drones actually got higher ratings but we're talking different reviewers here - I just think the whole "back to basics" was a tad overhyped.Still, we've only had 2 reviews and both of them have been above average scores, along with positive sentiments so I guess the overall rating so far is "pretty decent" and MUSE haven't gone and destroyed their career :LOL:

I feel like Muse reviews have been pretty similar for years now tbh. Mainly focus on describing the mish mash of sounds, talk about how it’s OTT and dramatic, then maybe highlight one or two tracks they weren’t into or might be divisive towards the end. Everything since OOS (which generally got quite high reviews tmk) has ranged between 63 and 75 on Metacritic which suggests most reviews kinda middle out on that ‘yeah, it’s alright’ vibe with the ultra positive and negative balancing each other out.

I think Drones actually got higher ratings but we're talking different reviewers here - I just think the whole "back to basics" was a tad overhyped.Still, we've only had 2 reviews and both of them have been above average scores, along with positive sentiments so I guess the overall rating so far is "pretty decent" and MUSE haven't gone and destroyed their career :LOL:

You might be right. I may be projecting my low expectations onto these reviews making them seem glowing to me. Still, I love two of the singles and really like two others which is a better track record than Drones for me. I think back-to-basics albums sound better in theory than they do in practice. At least, that has been my experience.

Drones got stunning reviews (Kerrang even gave it full score!), yes, but just a small bunch.

To this day, it's the album of theirs with the lowest avarage score on Metacritic (63).

And I feel this album may get a better critical reception than Drones, too. The two reviews we have so far are quite down-to-earth in tone, not overenthusiastic or totally bashing, and the fact they gave ST an overall positive verdict hypes me even further.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider