"Military Disco Rock"? I swear attempts to describe new Muse songs get funnier with every album! :chuckle:

Anyway, thanks for posting that! I may not particularly be a fan of anything from the new album so far, but I still enjoy reading the thought process that goes into it.

Get Up and Fight could go the same way, despite being about Bellamy’s uncle’s cancer

Wait, what?! We couldn't have been more wrong about this, could we? I admit, the first time that I read the title I was like, " no, Matt, not another one of these." I'm eager to hear it now.

Can I say this may be one of the most heartfelt, honest and clear-headed interviews they've had about a new album?

Matt's main inspiration and reason behind it... man... I'd be lying if I say a large part of that doesn't hit me in the goddamn feels, because from my point of view I find a lot of truth in that. When you see people just engage in a "the-one-who-screams-more" contest regarding politics and other crucial issues in our world instead of trying and finding common ground and possibile solutions you really become disheartened sometimes. You really want to get away and find your safe dimension where you can feel good and at peace, and nothing can hurt you.

But of course, it can't be a tangible solution if it makes you forget entirely about real world and its problems, because they're always going to be there, always ready to smother you.

Oh, and GUAF being about his uncle's cancer is such an unexpected surprise. I wonder how that "military disco rock" will sound considering it's not about a light themathic.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Wait, what?! We couldn't have been more wrong about this, could we?

....how so? We didn’t (and still don’t) know anything about it :p

Oh, and GUAF being about his uncle's cancer is such an unexpected surprise. I wonder how that "military disco rock" will sound considering it's not about a light themathic.

I’m not sure that was referring specifically to GUAF, more giving a general example of ST songs’ tones compared to Drones. If it’d been worded as ‘one song is military disco rock, the other a lot like Prince’ as opposed to ‘another a lot like Prince’, then it’d suggest it was about those two songs but the ‘another’ implies it’s two random songs imo. Plus, if it did mean those two, I’m not sure which of those descriptions would fit TDS :chuckle:

I’m not sure that was referring specifically to GUAF, more giving a general example of ST songs’ tones compared to Drones. If it’d been worded as ‘one song is military disco rock, the other a lot like Prince’ as opposed to ‘another a lot like Prince’, then it’d suggest it was about those two songs but the ‘another’ implies it’s two random songs imo. Plus, if it did mean those two, I’m not sure which of those descriptions would fit TDS :chuckle:

Uh, I'm quite sure the writer is still referring to ST songs, and not drawing a comparison between Drones and ST ones. Otherwise he/she would have mentioned a Drones track, wouldn't he/she?

Uh, I'm quite sure the writer is still referring to ST songs, and not drawing a comparison between Drones and ST ones. Otherwise he/she would have mentioned a Drones track, wouldn't he/she?

It’s following straight on from them saying how the immediacy of songs on the new record is a ‘rush’ that wasn’t present on Drones, then giving the two descriptions as examples.

Edit: though tbh, I disagree with the idea that Muse were more ‘immediate’ on their first records anyway

Edited by Jobby

Based on the title, I thought, and was under the impression that others did too, that it's a completely impersonal song, with a theme similar to Butterflies & Hurricanes, Knights of Cydonia, Panic Station, and so on. But that tidbit of information proved me wrong, at least regarding the "impersonal" part. Which I'm very happy about.

I appreciate that Matt is taking a more personal approach with some of these songs and the general idea of the album. It's refreshing.

I think a lot of people are having that feeling of wanting to escape and revert to being kids. I see that as being part of why all these 90s sitcoms are coming back, and the growing desire for comforting entertainment (i.e. shows with a Bake Off feel).

“Nothing like 6 or 7 minutes no. From memory, maybe Algorithm pushes 5? But all around 4. The extended edition of the album is, said Matt, odder... Glad you liked the piece”

From the journalist who wrote the article. So Algorithm is the longest.

“Nothing like 6 or 7 minutes no. From memory, maybe Algorithm pushes 5? But all around 4. The extended edition of the album is, said Matt, odder... Glad you liked the piece”

From the journalist who wrote the article. So Algorithm is the longest.

Let's not jump to conclusions, though. From the journalist's tone, it seems he can't recall precisely if Algorithm is the only five-minute song, so there might be another one at least.

Anyway... Dangerously hyped for that damn track, now. I hope it won't disappoint me. :D

It's been corrected by Matt himself on instagram though. It's :

Burn like a slave, churn like a cog

We are caged in simulations

Algorithms evolve

Push us aside and render us obsolete

This means war with your creator

Those are Matt Bellamy lyrics if I ever saw them. High quality. OoS / Abso vibes.

Now watch the music sound like Guiding Light meets Big Freeze.

It's been corrected by Matt himself on instagram though. It's :

Burn like a slave, churn like a cog

We are caged in simulations

Algorithms evolve

Push us aside and render us obsolete

This means war with your creator

These are the kind of lyrics I want from Muse.

If I had the effort I'd rather quote everyone's predictions of Supremacy.

shhh

Just let it happen

Those are Matt Bellamy lyrics if I ever saw them. High quality. OoS / Abso vibes.

Honestly I’m just hearing James Hetfield barking those out over some thrashy power chords but maybe I’m weird