So I was gonna sit in and binge on Better Call Saul tonight but ended up last minute grabbing a standing ticket. Got some thoughts

Had a quick gander through some of the comments here, surprised to see so much negativity regarding the setlist (here we go), like expected a bit for FG, but overall was a pretty solid set no? Map, SS, TAB. I'm not walking away like "oh my god that set was amazing" but I'm definitely not walking away dissapointed.

The stage and production really is something else, was worth the price I paid just for the spectacle. Those orbs are a lot bigger than I realised as well. Would kind of like to see it from up in seating just to be able to see all of the stage. So much to take in.

Tried to listen out for what some people have been complaining about with the mix. I thought it was fine for the most part, although one thing that people may be referring to which I found really annoying which happened in almost every song, but I'll use Uprising as an example...So it kicks in, loud bass, in your face, like ooft. Then when Matt's vocals come in for the verse you can hear and almost feel the sound engineer sliding the fader down on the bass (and guitars in other songs) to make way for the vocals, and it really takes something out of the songs. Like yeah you get a bigger kick in the heavy riffs and choruses, but it just feels like too much, it takes some of the energy out.

Speaking of energy. That was a tame crowd enit. I didn't see one pit. A few people jumped in some songs. Just in Reapers though I counted all the phones I could see directly in front of me that were being held up. There were 21 (I was in standing as well). Also it was quite an old crowd as well (which I guess lends itself to not being so rowdy). Like I normally feel one of the older ones in a lot of gigs I go to now. Barely saw any kids/teens around, but was surrounded by late 20s/30s/40s. Not saying anything bad about those ages, just found a surprising lack of younger folk.

Also had some bloke stood right beside me who every song sounded like he was trying to audition for The X Factor or something. It's a no from me.

That post ended up longer than I thought. Gig was good though, worth seeing. But just the once

Some of us hate Muse and like it that way.

And I wouldn't change you for the world :kiss:

Also as dull as I guess me and pretty much everyone on the board find TIRO now, can't deny it gets one of the best crowd reactions. Plus the pre-chorus always gets me nostalgic

TIROs the one song I wouldn't ever want them to drop.

Being in the US, I was utterly shocked at how much the crowd got into it and sung along.

Massively disproved the idea that all US fans are strictly Madness fans.

i went to the New jersey one and the people around actually were waiting for plug in baby or bliss and some other stuff from absolution i was really surprise by this , was funny when they played Prelude and two guys were expecting survival to come next :LOL:

TIROs the one song I wouldn't ever want them to drop.

Being in the US, I was utterly shocked at how much the crowd got into it and sung along.

Massively disproved the idea that all US fans are strictly Madness fans.

I honestly wouldn't mind it being put on rotation with Hysteria tbh

At this point, every song that isn't from the current album should be rotating with 4-5 songs minimum tbh

Are newcomers entitled to hear every hit they know? What about those newcomers who go to the next show 3 years later? Should they have to sit through 7-9 songs they've heard before? More than half of the set?

My point is, playing the same material every gig for every tour sucks for everybody except newcomers, and most newcomers have no intention of returning so why bother pandering to them with all the hits?

Had a quick gander through some of the comments here, surprised to see so much negativity regarding the setlist (here we go), like expected a bit for FG, but overall was a pretty solid set no? Map, SS, TAB. I'm not walking away like "oh my god that set was amazing" but I'm definitely not walking away dissapointed.

Set was fine - Map, Stockholm, Psycho, Reapers, The Handler and PIB are great. I was mostly disappointed by the performance tbh. Like I said, I kinda got the impression they were in a rush to leave after Supermassive :(

So let's rate the London setlists:

#4 > #1 >> #3 >= #2 >= #5 ?

14th > 12th > 3rd = 15th > 11th

At this point, every song that isn't from the current album should be rotating with 4-5 songs minimum tbh
Totally insane thing to request.

Are newcomers entitled to hear every hit they know? What about those newcomers who go to the next show 3 years later? Should they have to sit through 7-9 songs they've heard before? More than half of the set?

Yes, they should have to sit through 7-9 songs they've heard before. Anything else is, once again, insane.

My point is, playing the same material every gig for every tour sucks for everybody except newcomers, and most newcomers have no intention of returning so why bother pandering to them with all the hits?

Because 'all the hits' gets the biggest crowd reaction. It's simple really.

Assassin on Thursday got a big boardie reaction. But a only a small contingent (albeit an intensely enthusiastic contingent, me included) of the 20,000 crowd that was there actually appeared to know it.

Set was fine - Map, Stockholm, Psycho, Reapers, The Handler and PIB are great. I was mostly disappointed by the performance tbh. Like I said, I kinda got the impression they were in a rush to leave after Supermassive :(

TAB not great too? ;)

Because 'all the hits' gets the biggest crowd reaction. It's simple really.

Assassin on Thursday got a big boardie reaction. But a only a small contingent (albeit an intensely enthusiastic contingent, me included) of the 20,000 crowd that was there actually appeared to know it.

"Knowing it" is a stupid thing to take into consideration when playing to crowds. If the fans can't vibe to the music that is played, it's their own fault. For a song like Assassin to not get huge reactions says something about the fanbase. Conversely, if Muse didn't give a shit about the fanbase and played what they (not just Matt) wanted, it would likely attract a more mixed crowd.

"Knowing it" is a stupid thing to take into consideration when playing to crowds. If the fans can't vibe to the music that is played, it's their own fault. For a song like Assassin to not get huge reactions says something about the fanbase. Conversely, if Muse didn't give a shit about the fanbase and played what they (not just Matt) wanted, it would likely attract a more mixed crowd.

It is not a stupid thing to consider it is one of the many factors relevant to a positive concert experience for the people who attend.

And the fanbase IS a mixed crowd, that is exactly why Muse choose setlists which ARE mixed. And good on them I say

One thing that really stood out from last night for me is that Madness is the real mood-killer. Starlight and SMBH were ok, people clap along and dance a little bit and sing loudly. FG had a far bigger singalong than Madness.

The setlist was good, if CE had come in for FG the balance would have been almost perfect. And the crowd wasn't too bad, it was livelier than the 14th imho. There was a moshpit behind me for most of the gig that I had a bit of fun in during SS.

EDIT: Also, Take a Bow is so absolutely wonderful.

Edited by frozenbanana

I went to the first Manchester night, the Tuesday O2 show and last nights gig. Both Manchester and the Tuesday O2 show were absolutely fantastic, however last night was probably my least favourite Muse gig. Enjoyed myself still but no where near as much as I normally do at a Muse gig. The crowd were awful and I don't know if that had an effect on the band maybe. Either way, wish I'd left this tour on the high that was Tuesday. Never mind.

I know I'm very late to the party, but I see Assassin was played in London on Thursday. Glad it finally made an appearance! I'm pretty gutted for peeps who went to see them in Belfast though, I bet they really feel screwed over! Plus, is it just me, or does JFK > Assassin seem like poor taste, considering the context? Dick moves Muse, dick moves...

i went to the New jersey one and the people around actually were waiting for plug in baby or bliss and some other stuff from absolution i was really surprise by this , was funny when they played Prelude and two guys were expecting survival to come next :LOL:

As a fellow Muse fan I do feel your frustration, I really do, however unfortunately I think I'd have to disagree.

Us 'hardcore' Musers probably account for like...10% of the crowd? Another 20% might've seen them twice, maybe thrice, but the vast majority will be there seeing them for the first and last time.

It's annoying, but I can totally see why they do, and probably should, cater mostly to 'newcomers'

It is not a stupid thing to consider it is one of the many factors relevant to a positive concert experience for the people who attend.

And the fanbase IS a mixed crowd, that is exactly why Muse choose setlists which ARE mixed. And good on them I say

We're just... focusing on the wrong things... How many "untouchable" songs are there, really? Not as many as we think. Madness, Starlight, SMBH, TIRO, Uprising, KoC.

They've been dropping or rotating stuff like PiB, Hysteria, UD and even Resistance already. Even in the US.

So, six songs.

NONE of which have been dropped in the European setlists, and many of those sets have been damn near perfect.

I'd have given my boyfriend's left nut to see one of them.

The band can ABSOLUTELY make a marvelous setlist without dropping the songs that some of us might have seen a million times.

The problem is, why the fuck don't they do it consistently?

And I'm bitter as hell about their refusal to do it in the US, to the extent where when they ran out of "crowd pleasers" they just dropped a damn song...

Assassin was a good example; they like to pretend the entire UK knows their whole catalogue, and that's just not the case. Meanwhile playing a fairly well known older song in the US (on the rare occasion that it happens) nets us a bipolar remark from Bellamy leading into it.

As someone who had only seen Muse twice until the last 2 weeks, but has been listening to their music for about a decade I'm happy to hear the "hits" at the show and they get the best reaction across the audience- that's why they get played.

Its no different to almost all long running bands who do the same thing- the shows are aimed to please the widest possible market- not 10% of the audience who want to hear obscure album tracks. I do get the frustration- but on arena shows its not going to change. So either live with it or don't go.

I've really enjoyed the shows I've been to, great to hear Hysteria, Resistance, Assassin, Apocalypse Please and the hits as well.

As for the crowds- thought they were good in London, even those in the seats seemed to be stood for most of the show, and last night there were a bunch of fans having a great time right at the back of the GA area- oblivious to all the visuals just involved in the music

Amazing couple of nights :) Assassin was amazing. It really should be played more :D

Overall thoughts- Loved the stage set up and visuals. The dildrone failing on Thursday was funny to see. I actually think the performances of the songs that were played both nights were better on Thursday Especially Reapers, Plug In Baby & The Globalist. Stockholm Syndrome seemed rushed to me as well. Like they just wanted to get off stage. Feeling Good was really really bad. It just didn't do anything for me. Made resistance from the previous night seem amazing :LOL:

Take a Bow was amazing as always. Really think they should keep that in the sets.

Thursday night on barrier, Friday night at the back of standing area. The viuals actually look better from further back but being up front or as close to the front is just better. I would say a seated gig would be worth it to enjoy all the visuals.