Let's face it, a lot of American fans only go to Muse shows to clap along Starlight and hear Ma-Ma-Ma-Madness.

I guess this was posted as banter.... ?

I'm rather tired of the elitist bullshit of what songs you like determining what kind of "fan" you are being tied to different countries.

I agree with this. I'd cut it some more to this: "I'm rather tired of the elitist bullshit of what songs you like determining what kind of "fan" you are"

It's possible to love Assassin, and TAB, as I do (enthusiastic response from a small part of the O2 crowd only; tour highlights for me) and still enjoy being bouyed up by the enthusiastic response from almost all the crowd for Starlight etc.

I guess this was posted as banter.... ?

I agree with this. I'd cut it some more to this: "I'm rather tired of the elitist bullshit of what songs you like determining what kind of "fan" you are"

It's possible to love Assassin, and TAB, as I do (enthusiastic response from a small part of the O2 crowd only; tour highlights for me) and still enjoy being bouyed up by the enthusiastic response from almost all the crowd for Starlight etc.

In fact, let's be honest: we easily criticise many aspects of the shows while we're just chatting here on the board, but in 90% of cases we forsake that and get caught up in the moment while attending our gig(s) in flesh and bone. Our judgement, of course, begins to get serious and critical again only when the overload of excitement or ecstasy starts to wear off. :)

I do wish that had been more true for me, sadly.

Have to be sure to say I've walked out of other bands' gigs underwhelmed or disappointed, too, but it was a first for me with Muse. Not that I've seen them many times, but it was pretty unexpected.

Seeing other people say the same reinforces my surprise that you could see such a big spectacle and be underwhelmed, but also my belief that I'd enjoy an energetic and engaging Starlight more than I would one of my favorite songs played by a band that seems to be having an off night.

The latter having been proven to me by my back to back nights (although, tbf, the songs I truly liked were far better the second night, as well, and I firmly believe I still would have left the gig feeling better than the first, even without CE.)

Muse should do the equivalent of Bowie's Sound + Vision tour: play all their commercial radio hits at every gig for one tour and then 'retire' them all and only play newer material or deep cuts for the next 10 years

(am only semi joking)

Or the 2002 Heathen tour, first part: hits and Heathen stuff, and the second part: the whole Low album

Edited by Suq Madiq

Weird approach to things here at the SECC. They wouldn't let me round to the other half of the standing area - cut me off at the piano section. "different types of ticket" apparently. This wasn't an issue in London. Has it happened anywhere else? Not annoyed, just curious I guess.

I do wish that had been more true for me, sadly.

Have to be sure to say I've walked out of other bands' gigs underwhelmed or disappointed, too, but it was a first for me with Muse. Not that I've seen them many times, but it was pretty unexpected.

Seeing other people say the same reinforces my surprise that you could see such a big spectacle and be underwhelmed, but also my belief that I'd enjoy an energetic and engaging Starlight more than I would one of my favorite songs played by a band that seems to be having an off night.

The latter having been proven to me by my back to back nights (although, tbf, the songs I truly liked were far better the second night, as well, and I firmly believe I still would have left the gig feeling better than the first, even without CE.)

Guess they do have 'off nights' but it's a shame if it happens to the gig that you're going to esp in the US when you have to travel such long distances... Their UK schedule is absolutely insane for a singer who has such a high quality voice as Bellamy's. 12 gigs over 17 nights. I went to all the London gigs, and though the overall crowd reaction was terrific on the last night, I thought Matt looked tired compared with the other nights. I think he is also trying to protect his voice. On the 4th night he was hoarse again in the second high-pitched section of The Handler. He reined it in on the following night. (Opera singers only do a concert every few nights, and cancel at the drop of a hat). I'm wrecked after just going to all the London gigs, I think Muse must be buggered-tired.

Haven't heard of it at different venue, but heard people at this one had different designations on the tickets.

Yeah my other night ticket has "door B" (this is "door C") but that's usually meaningless if it isn't seated lol. I've noticed there seems to be a hard barrier between the areas as well, which again is kind of weird. Might have to get here a bit earlier tomorrow then!

I'll be pig-sick jealous if Glasgow get RBS or Defector/Revolt :p

Consider myself lucky as hell to have held onto my Manchester night 2 ticket now, otherwise I'd have never seen Revolt. Figured it'd definitely pop up in London :stunned:

Also, as gushingly grateful as I am for everything I saw this week, I'd be a tiny bit heartbroken if Defector suddenly started showing up now ngl. 'Specially after that little tease(?) on Friday. Something like RBS or SFA would be cool though.

Consider myself lucky as hell to have held onto my Manchester night 2 ticket now, otherwise I'd have never seen Revolt. Figured it'd definitely pop up in London :stunned:

Also, as grateful as I am for everything I saw this week, I'd be a tiny bit heartbroken if Defector suddenly started showing up now ngl. 'Specially after that little tease(?) on Friday. Something like RBS or SFA would be cool though.

Me too. Thought we'd get Defector/Revolt in London.

And me too grateful for what we did get! Way more than I hoped.

Mebbe he put Assassin in the Revolt/Defector slot on Thurs haha

Guess they do have 'off nights' but it's a shame if it happens to the gig that you're going to esp in the US when you have to travel such long distances... Their UK schedule is absolutely insane for a singer who has such a high quality voice as Bellamy's. 12 gigs over 17 nights. I went to all the London gigs, and though the overall crowd reaction was terrific on the last night, I thought Matt looked tired compared with the other nights. I think he is also trying to protect his voice. On the 4th night he was hoarse again in the second high-pitched section of The Handler. He reined it in on the following night. (Opera singers only do a concert every few nights, and cancel at the drop of a hat). I'm wrecked after just going to all the London gigs, I think Muse must be buggered-tired.

There were only a few real back to back nights on the US tour (they cancelled the rest...) but his voice seemed at a real high point for this tour during the post xmas part, and interestingly the one that included the back to back gigs.

Can't complain.

Philly and DC were just miles away as far as performance, and I think I wouldn't have walked out of DC unhappy, even without CE.

It just felt so much better.

I'm sure I've said it a ton before, but Matt was out on the town early into the morning of the Philly gig, in New York, and then travelled down at some point the morning of the gig.

One of the fan pics with him in New York that morning said it was from like 2 or 3am.

So, I assumed he was tired, and I was a bit down that that might have been what was wrong.

Could easily be the issue with any of the 'meh' ones, really.

I think you'd be shocked at how many UK fans only know the radio stuff, and still go to gigs. That room's not full of 20,000 people who obsess over Muse, are sick of SMBH, and are waiting to hear Ashamed or something...

I've been to other gigs like that, and a few that confounded this expectation - was expecting Kings of Leon in Milton Keynes 2 years ago to be full of people that only knew Sex on Fire & Use Somebody, yet still spend £65 on the ticket (as it turns out, that thought proved to be wrong). In any case the radio hits demographic is what mainly fuel gig ticket buying anywhere. I just guess with Muse the idea we're more likely to be there for something obscure in the UK comes from the fact they've been more known here for years and tour more here, and even then, that's just a theory. Hell, I can remember people saying there was a big die-hard party in the GA queue before the New Mexico 2010 gig playing a load of Showbiz B-sides, even if they got a 15 song hits only show.

I thought the reaction to Starlight on Tuesday was strangely muted where I was. There was clapping and singing, but nothing like what I've seen at previous gigs. Can't comment on Madness as I used it to get a drink (£2.50 for a bottle of water? Why did I fucking pay that?)

Edited by forevermusic

I've been to other gigs like that, and a few that confounded this expectation - was expecting Kings of Leon in Milton Keynes 2 years ago to be full of people that only knew Sex on Fire & Use Somebody, yet still spend £65 on the ticket (as it turns out, that thought proved to be wrong). In any case the radio hits demographic is what mainly fuel gig ticket buying anywhere. I just guess with Muse the idea we're more likely to be there for something obscure in the UK comes from the fact they've been more known here for years and tour more here, and even then, that's just a theory. Hell, I can remember people saying there was a big die-hard party in the GA queue before the New Mexico 2010 gig playing a load of Showbiz B-sides, even if they got a 15 song hits only show.

I thought the reaction to Starlight on Tuesday was strangely muted where I was. There was clapping and singing, but nothing like what I've seen at previous gigs. Can't comment on Madness as I used it to get a drink (£2.50 for a bottle of water? Why did I fucking pay that?)

I could agree with the sentiment that US fans are less likely to know Showbiz or OoS songs (but still despise Matt's comments on that at our gigs...) but feel like that shouldn't apply as much to post-OoS stuff when they started to gather a fan base here with Abso.

TIRO had the second best crowd reaction at both my gigs (Resistance was first,) and I wouldn't have expected the whole crowd to know that one, either.