I could agree with the sentiment that US fans are less likely to know Showbiz or OoS songs (but still despise Matt's comments on that at our gigs...) but feel like that shouldn't apply as much to post-OoS stuff when they started to gather a fan base here with Abso.

TIRO had the second best crowd reaction at both my gigs (Resistance was first,) and I wouldn't have expected the whole crowd to know that one, either.

Its a curious both ways thing - I can remember back when I first signed up here there were interviews with Matt saying the internet was helping them in making more people aware of them in places like South America and Asia, and even the US to an extent, helping them book bigger places than a band with their chart record might book. So surely, by that logic, it may still be the case now and the audience may not just be the "know the hits only" sort of crowd, and there'd be people there would who love to hear some shit beyond the hits. Also that - dunno how many from the Absolution club tour days are still seeing them, but Black Holes was a top 10 album in the US.

I didn't even know Resistance was that big a song in America. I knew it appeared on radio here a few times when it was made a single, but its not gotten that big a reception when I've seen it.

I didn't even know Resistance was that big a song in America. I knew it appeared on radio here a few times when it was made a single, but its not gotten that big a reception when I've seen it.

Yeah, I don't think The Resistance gets much crowd interest in the UK. Not nearly so much as the OOS, Abso and BHAR standards.

I've decided to go tomorrow - looks like an amazing setlist tonight, so I'm worried I made the wrong choice of date.

Really want to hear TAB - as it got played tonight, does that mean it won't likely be tomorrow?

There's no way to predict it - I've had it three gigs in a row now myself which I certainly didn't expect to say last year when I booked the tickets!

Yeah, I don't think The Resistance gets much crowd interest in the UK. Not nearly so much as the OOS, Abso and BHAR standards.

Uprising gets a healthy amount - it was Muse's last top 10 UK single - but the rest, not so much. I distinctly remember that one-two of Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires on the Unsustainable Tour B-stage encore going down like a lead balloon.

There's no way to predict it - I've had it three gigs in a row now myself which I certainly didn't expect to say last year when I booked the tickets!

Fingers crossed, then!

I've accepted I'm never going to hear Bliss this tour, but what an introduction to Muse live! It's always been a 'bucket list' addition to see them, and the Muse addiction has certainly been solidified after attending these gigs.

I appreciate that all fans have different tastes, but I do agree with other posters that Madness is definitely a 'pee break' song.

Can't wait for tomorrow. Hopefully they'll finish the UK leg in style.

If it's your first Muse gig it won't matter you'll love it if they played Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, it's just us grumpy auld bastards who want to see a little bit of old skool.

This.

Also, now i want them to make a cover of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

That. Set. List. (Crowd was crap on my side and I didn't wanna be on that side security would let me go into the side with crowd in the bowl). MAP, BLISS, CITIZEN, STOCKHOLM AND TAKE A BOW?!? That is one of the best sets I've had/seen. Nuts

Its a curious both ways thing - I can remember back when I first signed up here there were interviews with Matt saying the internet was helping them in making more people aware of them in places like South America and Asia, and even the US to an extent, helping them book bigger places than a band with their chart record might book. So surely, by that logic, it may still be the case now and the audience may not just be the "know the hits only" sort of crowd, and there'd be people there would who love to hear some shit beyond the hits. Also that - dunno how many from the Absolution club tour days are still seeing them, but Black Holes was a top 10 album in the US.

Wouldn't it also follow that there's a good chance fans that came to the band from older albums in the UK/etc have fallen off, too?

Happens with all bands, that fans don't like subsequent albums, and Muse put out a pair of fairly divisive releases with TR/T2L that were seen as a pretty big departure from their other work.

I've wondered what their deal with the US was for a while; maybe it's just much bigger, and more work for their money, and eventually that developed into a real bias that they're a bit blind to.

They certainly have a chip on their shoulder when they're here, and it's never failed to be a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm.

Resistance got a HUGE reaction both of my nights; I found myself very surprised that they didn't consistently play it over here.

Starlight and SMBH were a lot more subdued, but I think people got involved watching the stage show, and well, SMBH is pretty hard to sing along with. :chuckle:

The singing at the end of Madness drowned out Matt's awful ending to it, which was a bonus. As it also happened in DC where the sound was good, found myself wondering if they intentionally lowered the volume a bit so it would happen that way.

The Drones songs, other than Mercy, were a big dead spot for the crowd, though, and I can't see it would have mattered if they played Reapers, Revolt, CE, or a crazy b-side; people very obviously were not familiar with them.

I think the build up of people going just for the stage show is universal for all the countries, too. Reviews and chats with fans make that very clear.

If it's your first Muse gig it won't matter you'll love it if they played Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, it's just us grumpy auld bastards who want to see a little bit of old skool.

To be fair, on just about every night I went to, I noticed a decent amount of (presumably) first-timers who were a bit bummed out during Starlight when they realised Matt wasn't playing guitar - no matter how pissed up and merry they were for everything else :chuckle:

Personally, I'm fine with most of the hits and understand why they're played, even if I'm not into a couple. Madness should probs get relegated to rotation after this tour in Europe/the UK though (maybe with Resistance), didn't get much of a reaction at any of the gigs I went to. UD's was literally non-existent as well.

Best set of the entire tour so far imo cause for me Bliss > PiB and SS > Hysteria

But Assassin > discography

Uprising gets a healthy amount - it was Muse's last top 10 UK single - but the rest, not so much. I distinctly remember that one-two of Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires on the Unsustainable Tour B-stage encore going down like a lead balloon.

Yes, you're right about Uprising, I meant Resistance the song. GL is a total dirge. And Dead Inside is the GL of Drones, hope it vanishes after this tour.

Dead Inside is my favorite thing they've done in a decade, so I enjoyed it live even at my crappy gig. :happy:

tbf, I do recall Bellamy was ok for the first few songs, and shit became noticeable after that.

haha. I love Drones, play the album from start to finish, but I skip DI and Mercy. Re the US, have you read this old interview? Mebbe there is a different attitude Muse-US

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/muse-we-sold-our-soul-to-twilight/179492

haha. I love Drones, play the album from start to finish, but I skip DI and Mercy. Re the US, have you read this old interview? Mebbe there is a different attitude Muse-US

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/muse-we-sold-our-soul-to-twilight/179492

I've said my own speculations before, but around 2009 there was a lot of hype by the band in the US. The Resistance Tour was supposed to be their breakthrough into the country and they had expressed the difficulty of it in the past. It worked and they became rather popular. Uprising was a hit, I heard it on TV, they were at the VMAs. I saw the first televised Muse concert (edited version of Teignmouth). They won the Grammy and did their first full arena tour here.

Around the end of the tour that article came out. They seem to regret some of the methods of their popularity. The 2nd Law's promotion was much less and it showed. Madness got super popular, and that was kinda it. Their attendance rates weren't as strong and it's like they just got frustrated about it all. That's when some of the snarky comments started to show up.