Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

A few people have said it sounded much heavier live than the bootleg floating around online. Perhaps the main piano is coming through the rest of the sound and it will be a much more minimal element on the actual recording. I love the subtle synth btw

As of right now my feeling towards this is very meh. This song is probably going to take time to grow on me (if it ever does). From what we've heard so far I think this is the weakest song. I know this is a cellphone recording, but nothing really stands out to me as memorable or "ear worm" material.

All that said there is some interesting instrumentation going on, but the pieces don't really seem to fit as a whole.

A few people have said it sounded much heavier live than the bootleg floating around online.

Of course it did, just about everything sounds heavier when you see it live. I'm sure if people hadn't heard Starlight before, they'd say bits of that sounded pretty heavy.

Of course it did, just about everything sounds heavier when you see it live. I'm sure if people hadn't heard Starlight before, they'd say bits of that sounded pretty heavy.

Yeah but they mean in comparison to the actual track on the album, I mean heavier sounding than the bootleg we're all hearing online

some joker on muse wiki has said the chorus sounds like Stockholm Syndrome haha

It's not bad though, quite enjoying it, there's defo a hint of Easily in there somewhere as someone else has said

It's been mentioned here aswell.

some joker on muse wiki has said the chorus sounds like Stockholm Syndrome haha

It's not bad though, quite enjoying it, there's defo a hint of Easily in there somewhere as someone else has said

Er... Actually the entire "pre-chorus/chorus" section seems indeed a quite identical major key version of the one present in Stockholm Syndrome.

Which is a bit creepy...

Er... Actually the entire "pre-chorus/chorus" section seems indeed a quite identical major key version of the one present in Stockholm Syndrome.

Which is a bit creepy...

oh yeah I can hear it on a second listen, I get your point. on the other hand, not sure how this bridges psycho and reapers, seems like odd tracklist ordering?

oh yeah I can hear it on a second listen, I get your point. on the other hand, not sure how this bridges psycho and reapers, seems like odd tracklist ordering?

Looks like the protagonist of the concept doesn't fully turn himself into a "human drone", but the dark influences try to dehumanise him instead, till The Handler, where he begins to let his human feelings speak, wanting to feel them.

decided to have a go at the lyrics and this is all i could get from about 3 or 4 listens, matt mumbles a lot of the words in the verses

so after watching this video and combining some of what they hear with what i hear i think i've put together a pretty feasible effort, some lines are still really hard to hear, especially the beginning of the second verse but yeah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFTe5HkkyOk

Help me

I've fallen on the inside

I tried to change the game

I tried to infiltrate

Now I have to let it go though

They seem to run the show

Save me from the ghosts of shadows

Before they eat my soul

Mercy

Mercy

Show me Mercy

From the powers that be

Show me Mercy

Try to let me live

I ? decided to

Though we were hypnotized by a greater puppeteer

Tell me how to let it go

They try to bring me down

Running from the ghosts of shadows

The world feels so ?

Mercy

Mercy

Show me mercy

From the powers that be

Show me mercy

Could someone help me

Show me mercy

From ???

Show me mercy please

Heal/help me

I've fallen on the inside

Got to let it go

Turn into a devoured soul

Show me mercy

From the powers that be

Show me mercy

From powers that be

Show me mercy

From the ? machines (definitely sings something different here)

Show me mercy

From the powers that be yeah

so after watching this video and combining some of what they hear with what i hear i think i've put together a pretty feasible effort, some lines are still really hard to hear, especially the beginning of the second verse but yeah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFTe5HkkyOk

I spent the last half an hour trying to decipher the lyrics and pretty much got what you've got. I just couldn't figure out 'ghosts of shadows' though, it was driving me crazy.

Here's how I'm hearing the second verse

(??elves and gods??) inside a tyranny

And tell me why the manacles

Always (choose to?) bring me down

We're running from the ghosts of shadows

The world just feels so vile

Oh and my bet's on 'killing machines' in the last chorus

Edited by zomuse

I don't really get how people are laughing at people who are comparing the chorus to Stockholm Syndome's chorus. Of course it isn't as heavy, but the drums are nearly identical and the arpeggios in the background make the similarity even bigger, even though they are phased slower.

Anyway, I was fearing the worst reading your describtions, but I quite like the song.

I've only heard bits of the song (as I don't want to spoil it for the album), but I've really liked what I've heard so far. It really has a BH&R vibe to it, which isn't a bad thing. As for it being "dark". It could still be dark lyrically, although I can't say for sure, as we haven't got all the lyrics cleared up yet.

However, could the softer style of the song be a representation of the protagonists apathy? Dead Inside and Mercy are softer when he's feeling apathetic and, well... dead inside. When we get the Drill Instructors perspective in Psycho, the song is heavy because he's one of these "dark" forces that's manipulating the protagonist. Reapers is sort of a blend of both styles, so as the protagonist gets more manipulated, maybe songs from his perspective get heavier?

That, or I've just come up with an insane theory... :LOL:

I thought this as well.

The synths do give this song a Bliss vibe. After sleeping on it, I still like it!

I like when Muse do pop. Bliss, Starlight, SMBH, Madness, Dead Inside, UD, Resistance. This is great.

The synth arpeggios will be much clearer on the studio version which is awesome. Also I still think Dead Inside was a better choice for first single.

I spent the last half an hour trying to decipher the lyrics and pretty much got what you've got. I just couldn't figure out 'ghosts of shadows' though, it was driving me crazy.

Here's how I'm hearing the second verse

(??elves and gods??) inside a tyranny

And tell me why the manacles

Always (choose to?) bring me down

We're running from the ghosts of shadows

The world just feels so vile

Oh and my bet's on 'killing machines' in the last chorus

killing machines would definitely fit matt's lyrics so far from other songs and yeah the ghosts of shadows line was annoying the hell out of me :LOL: