Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Did you miss my point at the end?

The problem is that defining characteristics only go so far. Eventually you run out of ways to live off of that sound, and then you can either change the sound, or make bland songs that sound like covers of their own songs. And I think Muse have run their course with the classic Muse sound, which is why it seems like Matt is running out of ideas by taking every single riff or intro they've played live and turning them into songs.

I agree with this totally. But by defining characteristics I don't mean the obvious specific ones (synth arpeggios for example) I mean more vague ones (subtlety in lyrics, riffs that are original) not just "omg heavy riffs" Heavy riffs don't make a muse song if they don't sound inspired.

But that's the thing. They start working on a song, then go "okay, how do we make this sound like...Muse?"

If we're gonna do an analogy, it's like they have all these different shapes of different sizes, and then they cut off all the edges to make it fit into the Muse box. Now in some cases this means they take an obvious ripoff and somehow make it their own, but in other cases they take a great idea and make it into something less.

Tjet confirmed for Tom Kirk, upcoming tell all will reveal how the band write their music

I agree with this totally. But by defining characteristics I don't mean the obvious specific ones (synth arpeggios for example) I mean more vague ones (subtlety in lyrics, riffs that are original) not just "omg heavy riffs" Heavy riffs don't make a muse song if they don't sound inspired.
Well yeah of course you can say that originality etc are defining characteristics of Muse songs, but that's not what Chris was referring to when he said that they needed to make the songs sound like Muse, and it wasn't what I was talking about.

Simply, these days Muse are either covering other bands and putting their own sound to it, or they're covering themselves and putting some fresh paint on it.

You said nothing about "quoting the band" lol you inserted your opinions into their creative process
I think Muse are held back by their idea that all their songs have to sound stereotypically "Muse" (that's not an observation, it's basically what they've said), and I think it stops them from ever developing.

They said that they felt they needed to make the songs they write sound like Muse, and I'm saying that holds them back. Simple.

Well yeah of course you can say that originality etc are defining characteristics of Muse songs, but that's not what Chris was referring to when he said that they needed to make the songs sound like Muse, and it wasn't what I was talking about.

Simply, these days Muse are either covering other bands and putting their own sound to it, or they're covering themselves and putting some fresh paint on it.

I agree with that. I'm still waiting for the inevitable Radiohead track on Drones. Who wants to guess which it will be?

He just said the album is a mixed bag of pop and rock. Which is the total fucking opposite of everything he had said from the past year up until Dead Inside launched and we called his bluff.

What about when he said it was gonna sound like a mix of Absolution and BH&R.

I think Muse are held back by their idea that all their songs have to sound stereotypically "Muse" (that's not an observation, it's basically what they've said), and I think it stops them from ever developing.

I don't think they've ever actually said that, though.

Oversimplification fallacy etc.

Obviously I'm not saying that Muse's current material is a direct result of them trying to sound like Muse and that there are no other influences, so no, not really.

And you've heard and read every interview?

What about when he said it was gonna sound like a mix of Absolution and BH&R.

Well months before that he was tweeting things like, "its gonna get heavy" while they were getting slotted to play Download fest next to Marilyn Manson...

Obviously I'm not saying that Muse's current material is a direct result of them trying to sound like Muse and that there are no other influences, so no, not really.

And you've heard and read every interview?

You're oversimplifying vague references that they've made about their writing process and reducing their points to Muse trying to be Muse is something they have trouble with based on inferences made from quotes from the band. That's an inaccurate misrepresentation. Plus, why would any band "try" to sound like themselves? That's ridiculous. They just write the music they want to write, slap their name on it, and salty fans draw comparisons to the same shortlist of 5 go-to Muse reference bands to make others salty

Sounds like Coldplay. :noey:

This. I don't hate it but sounds like it could belong mid-album on Mylo Xyloto or something.

And for all the people drawing the Starlight comparisons, I thought Starlight was actually quite refreshing when it came out and was good live for quite a few tours. It's only more recently that it's become stale and boring live as the band seem to have gradually forgotten how to play it well.

Edited by ManiaMuse

Are you 12?

:LOL:

I'm gonna take that as a no.

I just find it silly that you doubt something I've heard in an interview because you haven't heard it.

"I know something you don't know"? Then just cite the interview instead of making vague reference to it.

Sounds like a BH&R b side. I like it.

You know times are bad when we're happy to go back to sounding like BH. Back when that album launched myself and a lot of this board were pissed...when Smbh launched people literally thought it was a joke. And starlight was not a good follow up single. And here we have starlight 2 and people are ok with it lol. Shows you how bad the last 6

years have been for Muse fans.

I'm gonna take that as a no.

I just find it silly that you doubt something I've heard in an interview because you haven't heard it.

I've hear similar sentiments from them. Guess I've always just interpreted that that as the desire to write something more intrinsic to themselves, rather than the textbook definition of Muse.

You know times are bad when we're happy to go back to sounding like BH. Back when that album launched myself and a lot of this board were pissed...when Smbh launched people literally thought it was a joke. And starlight was not a good follow up single. And here we have starlight 2 and people are ok with it lol. Shows you how bad the last 6

years have been for Muse fans.

It's posts like these that reinforce how diverse the fan base is.

It's posts like these that reinforce how diverse the fan base is.

I guess thats true. At least Muse is good enough to give us old fans what 2/10 songs per album that sound like quality old Muse lol. The fans that SMBH/Starlight and Twilight garnered get the other 8 per usual. This time around it may be a 50/50 split. If I'm lucky.

Whoever made that Keane comparison is spot on. And yeah, it sounds like an BH&R B-side. Not sure about Matt belting "MERCY" in the pre-chorus, I think if they'd left it instrumental it would have been more awesome (and kinda She's Thunderstorms-eque). Overall it's ok, would give it a decent 6-7/10