Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

You're oversimplifying vague references that they've made about their writing process and reducing their points to Muse trying to be Muse is something they have trouble with based on inferences made from quotes from the band. That's an inaccurate misrepresentation. Plus, why would any band "try" to sound like themselves? That's ridiculous. They just write the music they want to write, slap their name on it, and salty fans draw comparisons to the same shortlist of 5 go-to Muse reference bands to make others salty

I think Muse are held back by their idea that all their songs have to sound stereotypically "Muse" (that's not an observation, it's basically what they've said), and I think it stops them from ever developing.

And I think Muse have run their course with the classic Muse sound
Is that interpretation free from attempts at presenting things as facts or do I need to add "This is my personal interpretation of Muse's current song writing" before I ever go into discussing what I think?

"I know something you don't know"? Then just cite the interview instead of making vague reference to it.

I'm looking for it as we speak. Sadly I don't remember the date and place of every interview they've done.

And Reapers and Psycho are some of the heaviest tracks they've released in a long time.
You mean since the last album? :p

What Chris has basically said is that it would be a big fuck you to fans if they suddenly became a band who did jazz or whatever, and therefore they try to stay true to the Muse sound. My personal thoughts on this is that it might mean they limit themselves.

Is that interpretation free from attempts at presenting things as facts or do I need to add "This is my personal interpretation of Muse's current song writing" before I ever go into discussing what I think?

I'm looking for it as we speak. Sadly I don't remember the date and place of every interview they've done.

It's pretty clear that all of these statements you make are your opinions since they don't line up whatsoever with the reality of what their songwriting process is like, there's no real need to clarify that :rolleyes:

Whoever made that Keane comparison is spot on. And yeah, it sounds like an BH&R B-side. Not sure about Matt belting "MERCY" in the pre-chorus, I think if they'd left it instrumental it would have been more awesome (and kinda She's Thunderstorms-eque). Overall it's ok, would give it a decent 6-7/10

I made this comparison! :) it was the first thing that hit me during my first listen and I was pleasantly surprised. That's a kind of sound I never thought would find its way into their music.

All I can say is that bass line is fucking smooth. First impressions of the song are good for me.

And my god we went so long without bringing up fucking Twilight. Just let it go already. Who gives a shit of it brought in extra fans.

You know times are bad when we're happy to go back to sounding like BH. Back when that album launched myself and a lot of this board were pissed...when Smbh launched people literally thought it was a joke. And starlight was not a good follow up single. And here we have starlight 2 and people are ok with it lol. Shows you how bad the last 6

years have been for Muse fans.

When hasn't this board been pissed?

It's pretty clear that all of these statements you make are your opinions since they don't line up whatsoever with the reality of what their songwriting process is like, there's no real need to clarify that :rolleyes:
So wait, now YOU are Tom Kirk? :eek:

Oh, forgot about Survival. Other than that though, there really isn't anything particularly heavy. This album is at least shaping up to be a bit more consistent in that regard.

It's comforting to know that even if this album doesn't end up as one of their bests, I still like more of its songs than I do from The 2nd Law.

All I can say is that bass line is fucking smooth. First impressions of the song are good for me.

And my god we went so long without bringing up fucking Twilight. Just let it go already. Who gives a shit of it brought in extra fans.

Because that type of fan is the reason stuff like starlight has stuck around and been such a hit, stuff like UD, Madness and DI gets written... or is that the average American fan bringing that stuff out of Muse? If people think Muse are purely a band who write for themselves and don't cater to separate sects of fans you're delusional. There is way too much evidence of the contrary.

You guys can't say you're fine with that side of the fanbase being around AND then bitch when stuff like UD gets played at LA Rising and is a staple for too long, Starlight is still around and closed sets for part of a tour, and many other setlist bitches that happen at every sexy plane. And 90% of the board is guilty of all that and then comes back around and says they don't care there are twilight fans out there.

So wait, now YOU are Tom Kirk? :eek:

Not quite. The reality is that nobody knows the reality, thus whatever "true Muse sound" Chris quoted could equate to a pig farting for all we know. No use to try and claim that Muse doing Muse isn't up to par with how Muse could be doing Muse.

I guess thats true. At least Muse is good enough to give us old fans what 2/10 songs per album that sound like quality old Muse lol. The fans that SMBH/Starlight and Twilight garnered get the other 8 per usual. This time around it may be a 50/50 split. If I'm lucky.

"Old fans"

1300044776986.jpg

You know times are bad when we're happy to go back to sounding like BH. Back when that album launched myself and a lot of this board were pissed...when Smbh launched people literally thought it was a joke. And starlight was not a good follow up single. And here we have starlight 2 and people are ok with it lol. Shows you how bad the last 6

years have been for Muse fans.

BH&R hate was my biggest aggravation of the fan sites.

Because that type of fan is the reason stuff like starlight has stuck around and been such a hit, stuff like UD, Madness and DI gets written... or is that the average American fan bringing that stuff out of Muse? If people think Muse are purely a band who write for themselves and don't cater to separate sects of fans you're delusional. There is way too much evidence of the contrary.

You guys can't say you're fine with that side of the fanbase being around AND then bitch when stuff like UD gets played at LA Rising and is a staple for too long, Starlight is still around and closed sets for part of a tour, and many other setlist bitches that happen at every sexy plane. And 90% of the board is guilty of all that and then comes back around and says they don't care there are twilight fans out there.

Most of the complains were based on the fact that UD did in fact kill the mood at most of the gigs during the resistance tour, so popular or not, it wasn't a hit live. And people were whining about the position of Starlight in the setlist. Sure complains this tour have been about it being played at all, but personally I think that's just nonsense.

Not quite. The reality is that nobody knows the reality, thus whatever "true Muse sound" Chris quoted could equate to a pig farting for all we know. No use to try and claim that Muse doing Muse isn't up to par with how Muse could be doing Muse.
This is a message board, people make claims all the time. As long as it's not passed off as some sort of truth, it's obviously what this board is for.

SMBH was a pretty shocking reveal when you ended your last album with something as superb as Ruled by Secrecy.

Shocking yes but I grew to it pretty quickly. Still loved the album as a whole.

Did you bring a permit for that meme?

At least he's not literally greentexting.

Starlight is on the same album as MotP, which is one of their best ever. This was well before NSC. TIRO also has shades of pop. I suspect Matt just, like, meant to write those songs.

Also, they're alright. Not shit, not amazing, worth a listen every once in a long while. That's ok.

And back on topic, man, they should have led with Mercy. This is immediately catchy, not like Dead Inside.

Starlight is on the same album as MotP, which is one of their best ever. This was well before NSC. TIRO also has shades of pop. I suspect Matt just, like, meant to write those songs.

Also, they're alright. Not shit, not amazing, worth a listen every once in a long while. That's ok.

And back on topic, man, they should have led with Mercy. This is immediately catchy, not like Dead Inside.

If we're talking pop that has been there since the first album.

I wonder if Muse are ever going to release a song that is unanimously well received in the fan base.

Gotta say though, Mercy would've made more sense as a single. Way catchier.

They can't. The forums would have no reason to be anymore, and that includes the entertainment value they provide along with them.

Yeah, true. Supremacy became a lot more divisive once we heard the studio version, though.

I think it kept being almost all positive until some time after its release, once people started getting bored of it. But obviously impossible to know.