Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

:LOL::yesey: It seemed like there wasn't as much song discussion with this album as there was with the previous ones. Unless I just missed everything.

Yeah, I haven't seen a lot of interviews discussing the songs. I think Matt is like: "What do you want to discuss about the songs? They're subtle as an elephant in the kitchen" :LOL::LOL:. I must say I'm starting to enjoy the "in your face" lyrics. It was obviously a stylistic choice and it helps the message to have wide appeal. In an era where people is listening to music like fast food, it's not like a lot of people analyse and stop to think about the lyrics. It's just, "hey, what is this song about? It doesn't mind, move on to the next song between one million songs on Spotify". :LOL::LOL:

Yeah, I haven't seen a lot of interviews discussing the songs. I think Matt is like: "What do you want to discuss about the songs? They're subtle as an elephant in the kitchen" :LOL::LOL:. I must say I'm starting to enjoy the "in your face" lyrics. It was obviously a stylistic choice and it helps the message to have wide appeal. In an era where people is listening to music like fast food, it's not like a lot of people analyse and stop to think about the lyrics. It's just, "hey, what is this song about? It doesn't mind, move on to the next song between one million songs on Spotify". :LOL::LOL:
That it helps people who don't know how to analyse doesn't change the way I see them though. Your opinion ofc but I don't understand why you would start to enjoy it more just because it has mass appeal.

Kinda like enjoying pop music because others can appreciate it.

That it helps people who don't know how to analyse doesn't change the way I see them though. Your opinion ofc but I don't understand why you would start to enjoy it more just because it has mass appeal.

Kinda like enjoying pop music because others can appreciate it.

Oh, no, I obviously enjoy more the dark and obscure lyrics of other Muse songs. I prefer them by miles. I don't consume music like: "2 singles for this artist and move on". I like to analise the songs and it's part of my enjoyment of music. It's more like I can understand why they did it, so I appreciate it more (like giving them a free pass), but I'd like it to be the last album which has very lazy lyrics. Matt is not an awesome lyricist, but he could write some good bits. I'm even receptive on them hiring a good lyricist and focusing on the music, which I think it's Muse's strong point. Or even going instrumental, but that'd be a bold move I don't think they'll make.

Edited by topo_musero

The lyrics mostly don't bother me, but I have wondered why the decision to deliberately dumb them down happened.

I took the "mass appeal" bit at face value... But, did they really make an album with mass appeal...? It comes off as a bit of a niche thing, and Matt's even said they didn't want to make a string of hit singles.

I find myself wondering if he really thought he was saying something important, and was convinced dumbing it down would help achieve that, and ended up making it too basic to have much real impact.

Which is kind of depressing.

Yeah, that's what I gathered. I just don't get why, unless they also thought this album was going to have a wider appeal than it did.

Maybe I'm not looking at that right, but you certainly don't hear much about people discussing the social/ societal message of the album.

And it sort of makes Matt look like he compromised on his own art.

I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with liking more upfront lyrics btw, just that it was weird to like something because it has mass appeal.

Oh, okey :LOL::LOL:. I don't give a damn about how many people like the album or not. But as I understand the idea behind the lyrics trying to reach more people, it's like: "OK, I know now what you want to do, so I'll give you a free pass. But don't do it again" :LOL::LOL:. It's more understanding the album concept and the stylistic choices than the wide appeal per se, which I don't care about. And I truly think it was a mistake to dumb down the lyrics. Matt could have written a, at least, decent concept album about brainwashing and a dystopian world with more clever lyrics.

I'm obviously very bad at explaining myself in English :rolleyes:.

Yeah, that's what I gathered. I just don't get why, unless they also thought this album was going to have a wider appeal than it did.

Maybe I'm not looking at that right, but you certainly don't hear much about people discussing the social/ societal message of the album.

And it sort of makes Matt look like he compromised on his own art.

People might be dumb, but we also like to feel smart. So bashing something that sounds even more stupid is in our nature. Maybe the masses wouldn't have understood Matt's original lyrics, but now they just laugh at how simplistic they are.

What we have learned: Don't compromise your work for mass appeal.

People might be dumb, but we also like to feel smart. So bashing something that sounds even more stupid is in our nature. Maybe the masses wouldn't have understood Matt's original lyrics, but now they just laugh at how simplistic they are.

What we have learned: Don't compromise your work for mass appeal.

I never thought of it like that. And I suspect you're right.

I think he made a terrible decision, and it came off like he was really overwhelmed at times by Mutt.

Still makes me a bit sad, though.

• 4 months later...