Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Because Matt could just as well be miming if the main vocal melody is playback. If they can't do it live, either because the vocals are too hard or the instrumentals can't be reproduced live, they'll just have to rework the song to make it work.

the choir vocals in survival added to the performance i felt, especially being there in person

also correct me if i'm wrong but i remember reading somewhere they used playback for the backing vocals in the hysteria chorus back on the absolution tour as well and from videos of that era it doesn't detract from the performance at all

Ok, I stand corrected, it's not necessarily such a bad thing, but in the case of Mercy G4's, they should do something else than playback.

Because Matt could just as well be miming if the main vocal melody is playback. If they can't do it live, either because the vocals are too hard or the instrumentals can't be reproduced live, they'll just have to rework the song to make it work.

Nah.

Ok, I stand corrected, it's not necessarily such a bad thing, but in the case of Mercy G4's, they should do something else than playback.

Nah.

Nah.

Nah.

Good you have the solution for all songs that are hard to to play live, just use playback :D Matt can't do the G#4's or the final G#5 in Showbiz live? No problem, just use playback! :awesome: Matt is afraid he'll mess up Cross-pollination piano part? No problem, just use playback! :awesome:

Matt in multiple interviews - The first half of the album is very dark and then it brightens up as it progresses

Tracklist:

1. Dead Inside - 80's synth pop

2. [Drill Sergeant]

3. Psycho - campy half serious sounding with a dark theme

4. Mercy - very light hearted pop rock

5. Reapers - campy 80s rock filled with 80s rock cliches

6. The Handler - ?The savior of the first half?

7. [JFK]

8. Defector - actually dark sonically and sounds like old Muse (from what we've heard)

9. Revolt

10. Aftermath

11. The Globalist

12. Drones

The Handler saviour of the first half? Only because you haven't got what you expected, which is fair enough.

Reapers with rock cliches? What in it is cliche, exactly? Is it just the riff with a straight rock beat? Have you heard the guitar solo? Definitely nothing cliche about - it's actually quite technical.

The Handler saviour of the first half? Only because you haven't got what you expected, which is fair enough.

Reapers with rock cliches? What in it is cliche, exactly? Is it just the riff with a straight rock beat? Have you heard the guitar solo? Definitely nothing cliche about - it's actually quite technical.

Cliche and technical aren't opposites.

Yeah. I just keep hearing Keane influence in the piano, which I love. I think they were crazy to not put this out first. Although I'm certain they put out Dead Inside to cement the conventional "heavy" aspect everyone expected, this song is heavy for sure but not in the br00tal way everyone anticipated.

Sorry but Dead Inside to cement the heavy aspect? Dead Inside was more 80s funk pop rock. If they wanted to cement any aspect of heavy, they would have released Reapers a single.

My guess is that they wanted to first release a song that would stir everyone up in good and bad ways - Psycho - and then release a more conventional song that's also got some controversial qualities to it in regard to what they had the fans anticipate - stuff that's heavier than 80s sounding pop rock.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like the two songs, but not as much as Mercy and Reapers in the first half of the album.

Quote: Originally Posted by Citizen_Eraser View Post

Matt in multiple interviews - The first half of the album is very dark and then it brightens up as it progresses

Maybe he just meant lyric-wise.

Yes - this! Every fan that wants the heavy album "because they promised" should see this!

Sorry but Dead Inside to cement the heavy aspect? Dead Inside was more 80s funk pop rock. If they wanted to cement any aspect of heavy, they would have released Reapers a single.

My guess is that they wanted to first release a song that would stir everyone up in good and bad ways - Psycho - and then release a more conventional song that's also got some controversial qualities to it in regard to what they had the fans anticipate - stuff that's heavier than 80s sounding pop rock.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like the two songs, but not as much as Mercy and Reapers in the first half of the album.

Dead Inside is nothing like 80s funk pop rock. At vaguest you can compare it to Depeche Mode but that wouldn't even mean anything anyway. It's produced more like an industrial track similar to Röyksopp's stuff. It's more "dark" than Mercy is in any obvious ways, and "heavy" when put next to Psycho as opposed to Mercy being put next to Psycho. All three tracks are heavy in some ways although if they're compared to Psycho, Dead Inside as a pop song that is produced like heavy electronic says more about consistency on the album than Mercy does.

What's wrong with Unnatural Selection? Is it that it's not quite so catchy in the chorus?

The fact that it's shit through and through. A band recycling old material for lack of better ideas is deplorable.

Wow. Thoroughly enjoyed that. What I'd want from Muse for a pop song. The chorus is huge. Absolutely adore the bass line. Totally get the Starlight comparison, but I think this is a lot better.

Right?

It's just a very Musey song - elements from OoS, Absolution and BH&R all at once. Bliss, Stockholm Syndrome, TIRO, Starlight, Glorious. It's all groovy, heavy and uplifting all at the same time! Sure, it's a simple song, but it sounds like it's been executed beautifully.

It's quite refreshing having a BH&R-esque song pop up again in almost 10 years, 5 years if you also consider Neutron Star Collision as being BH&R-similar.

Good you have the solution for all songs that are hard to to play live, just use playback :D Matt can't do the G#4's or the final G#5 in Showbiz live? No problem, just use playback! :awesome: Matt is afraid he'll mess up Cross-pollination piano part? No problem, just use playback! :awesome:

753.jpg

Dead Inside is nothing like 80s funk pop rock. At vaguest you can compare it to Depeche Mode but that wouldn't even mean anything anyway. It's produced more like an industrial track similar to Röyksopp's stuff. It's more "dark" than Mercy is in any obvious ways, and "heavy" when put next to Psycho as opposed to Mercy being put next to Psycho. All three tracks are heavy in some ways although if they're compared to Psycho, Dead Inside as a pop song that is produced like heavy electronic says more about consistency on the album than Mercy does.

The fact that it's shit through and through. A band recycling old material for lack of better ideas is deplorable.

Eh, your opinion against mine. I love drumming to this song and love how it progresses into jazz with the organ from the intro.

If I'm wrong and made a mistake, why not just tell me what I did wrong than you be an angsty smartass?

I think I quite obviously gave it away by saying "how should I know what HE meant" after a series of confusion from my part.