Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

They can't. The forums would have no reason to be anymore, and that includes the entertainment value they provide along with them.

I think the fan base is just to diverse at this point. Unsurprising after the genre hopping of the past few records.

That bass line is so good. The song may be similar to Starlight, but that really gives it the edge imo.

I'd say Supremacy and Animals when they were first played.

Supremacy on album crushed the fanbase. But yea the E-werk show.. And I think Animals all around "should" be universally praised. I can't imagine someone not liking that song but then again we've already addressed how diverse Muse's fanbase is so the answer is probably no.

I reckon studio Mercy is gonna kick ass

People say that but idk about you guys but Muse songs are almost always better live. With very few exceptions. I'm struggling to think of even one song that is better on the album. The only thing the album gets you is better clarity but don't forget we're listening to phone boot legs. Being at a concert or getting a pro-shot the clarity matches what we get on an album and the intensity/improvisation outweighs it.

People say that but idk about you guys but Muse songs are almost always better live. With very few exceptions. I'm struggling to think of even one song that is better on the album. The only thing the album gets you is better clarity but don't forget we're listening to phone boot legs. Being at a concert or getting a pro-shot the clarity matches what we get on an album and the intensity/improvisation outweighs it.

I agree with you but I think when compared to other studio songs, Mercy will be great.

Really? Can't remember that at all.

*obligatory Radiohead reference* basically is what it universally was.

I reckon studio Mercy is gonna kick ass

I expect the production to be identical to Big Freeze, big thumping bass and all. I'll have no complaints if this is what will actually happen.

I agree with you but I think when compared to other studio songs, Mercy will be great.

In theory yes it should have a pretty beefy chorus and some nice layers going with the synths. But don't forget this is Muse. They almost always make some decision in post/editing that fucks up a song. The overdone trumpets in Supremacy come to mind. The extremely thin guitar tone in Unnatural Selection comes to mind.

Really? Can't remember that at all.

To lazy to dig into the threads, but there was obvious Radiohead comparisons, solos were just "teasing" but in an abrasive way (people wanted more I guess?)

That's what I remember at least

Also, Mercy synth is the one from the IG synth post, dunno if someone's pointed that out?

Because that type of fan is the reason stuff like starlight has stuck around and been such a hit, stuff like UD, Madness and DI gets written... or is that the average American fan bringing that stuff out of Muse? If people think Muse are purely a band who write for themselves and don't cater to separate sects of fans you're delusional. There is way too much evidence of the contrary.

You guys can't say you're fine with that side of the fanbase being around AND then bitch when stuff like UD gets played at LA Rising and is a staple for too long, Starlight is still around and closed sets for part of a tour, and many other setlist bitches that happen at every sexy plane. And 90% of the board is guilty of all that and then comes back around and says they don't care there are twilight fans out there.

Meh maybe I'm just easy going. I dont see the point in complaining about what they write or who likes it, they're gonna do what they're gonna do. It's their career after all.

Anyway they're still fucking epic live and are bringing back some of their early greats so happy days in my eyes.

Hope there's something decent in the album for you.

5 listens later, and I'm calling it that some people are gonna seriously dislike this song a couple of years down the line. It's gonna be like what happened to FM, only much worse.

Follow Me's crime is that having that kind of production immediately makes it dated-sounding. Electro influences are definitely a very "time-centric" movement. I feel like if it were left the way it originally was, it might've sounded like Mercy actually.

I think I'll need a better recording to make a final judgement. At the moment my least favourite of the new songs but it's hard to say until I've heard it properly. I'm hoping it's recorded more like Glorious than Starlight but it sounds a bit like both.