Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hi guys, i'm new here, account created today though i read this forum a lot of times before

first of all, i'd like to warn you, that i'm not a native english speaker, so reading me might cause you seizures.

I felt the physical need to post here, i'm really confused

I heard Psycho about an hour after it came out, i always loved that riff, love to play along to it, loved the way they jammed with it on the old concerts.

Now here, not so much, i mean, the riff is still awesome, but i think they could've done a lot more with it.

Likes: The riff, kicks ass. The production, i mean, listen to that bass (i'm not a fan of the bassline, but the sound and tone of the bass make me wanna hug chris forever) and the drums sound really awesome too!. The vocals: well, it's Matt Bellame, you can't really go wrong there. The variations they added to the riff, i don't know the correct musical term for it, but the way it leads the riff into the first verse, it sound very classiquey.

Dislikes: The lyrics, don't really like them, i find them kinda lazy, i understand the song is written from the point of view of the sargeant, but i know Matt can do much better at writing (but if he can, it means that these lyrics are bad on purpose). The song is very repetitive, like, too much, i feel Muse always had a kind of 'progressive rock vibe' that is totally absent in this song. The fact that it sounds like a washed down, soft, boring version of uprising; don't get me wrong, i know Uprising is repetitive too, but i think is the superior song here, it has that 'oomph' that Psycho is lacking, though these two songs sound very similar.

Haven't commented but heard. So... there's some iffy lyrics, and first time I heard it I found the chorus hilarious. Also not sure about all the drill sergeant stuff in the song itself.

Instrumentally however its very good. Good to hear the riff finally getting a tune to it, and the end solo is good.

I am not sure what this means :p

i'm sorry, not intended to disturb anyone with my blunt comments

for me this track represents my own demons

and after facing them

transformation is possible

Edited by Meisver

Was immense at first listen but after 3-4 listens it isn't that great. I mean it's great,but some of the lyrics are plain cringe and it needs an actual solo,not that Tom Morello-wannabe guitar breakdown*,it would help it a lot,make it a bit less repetitive melody-wise.And the "drill sergeant" spoken stuff,well,take 'em out. All in all it's just a heavier,beefier Uprising. What Uprising wanted to be,but in no way was - don't tell me Uprising is actually heavy! - ...

*Not the first Morello-ish thing Matt has ever done,has to be said.

Took a few listens but I found a synth.

Sounds like that snippet with the Cow from Instagram.

Was immense at first listen but after 3-4 listens it isn't that great. I mean it's great,but some of the lyrics are plain cringe and it needs an actual solo,not that Tom Morello-wannabe guitar breakdown*,it would help it a lot,make it a bit less repetitive melody-wise.And the "drill sergeant" spoken stuff,well,take 'em out. All in all it's just a heavier,beefier Uprising. What Uprising wanted to be,but in no way was - don't tell me Uprising is actually heavy! - ...

*Not the first Morello-ish thing Matt has ever done,has to be said.

Tom Morello invented guitar scales?

so yeah, what I said in the drones thread. song's awesome, but lines like "your ass belongs to me now" and that one about super drones are just hilarious. and so is the sergeant. but the lyrics are still better than survival :LOL: and the song is great, nonetheless.

I really like the song at the moment, although I find it a bit repetitive and (dare I say it) a bit long. Had it been a minute shorter, I probably wouldn't find it so repetitive. I feel it just needs some sort of breakdown or different guitar solo. Having said all that, all I can do at the moment is headbang. Can't wait for Newport next week. And the drill sergeant bits aren't out of place at all - if anything, I find they add to the awsomeness of the song.

Survival and Unsustainable got me much more excited for the respective album compared to Pyscho. This makes them seem like they've run out of ideas. Using and old riff without adding much new elements, almost replicating the groove and drum sound of Uprising. Not so sure about it sadly.

Are you sure? I just hear a vocal harmony there.

And anyway I really doubt that synth snippet from IG would make into a song.

100% sure.

From here:

To here:

7s

The "Your ass belongs to me now" part has it, but it is drowned out by Matt's vocals.

Was wrong about it being the snippet from Instagram though.

I really don't understand all the lyric hate. Matt's never been a great lyricist but it's extremely promising that the lyrics seem solid in advancing the album's theme. I mean the lyrics are basically like 'Animals' if you ignore the swears. And hey, shit like "fat cats have a heart attack"? Nobody was hyper critical with any of that. Lots of critique about the lyrics which I don't think are that bad. Minimal attention given to Matt's on point form and delivery with all of the vocals, he's trying some new things too which are great.

For me, the difference is Uprising managed to be fun, but not silly, and Psycho is more on the Survival spectrum where, I guess, it's supposed to be humorous. I'm still not convinced on that last point, but it seems the general consensus.

I mean, I know I said I didn't want a totally "dark" album... but dark and silly doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

100% sure.

From here:

To here:

7s

The "Your ass belongs to me now" part has it, but it is drowned out by Matt's vocals.

Was wrong about it being the snippet from Instagram though.

oooh ok that's why I wasn't hearing it, I kept listening to 1:00 from the itunes song file. It's clear that a synth is there, yeah. No cows though.

i don't post often here, but some of the comments I've read from some people here and on facebook have annoyed me.

The Muse we know and love are about having fun - and not taking themselves too seriously, you can see that by the way they play live and the videos etc from the studio.

Muse will never go back and release another OoS or Absolution, they already exist... just go back and listen to them.

Psycho is NOT the 1st single from Drones, it's not meant for radio. It's an album track, and it's prob a little gift for all the fans who love the riff from the outro of SS.

Anyway, that's my annual comment done.

Let me make this clear. This is not just a lyric video, this is THE video, right? There won't be another proper video for Pscyho?

Well the youtube title is "lyric video" so...

But since it's not really a single, it might just be that. Afterall if Dead Inside is out in two weeks or less, that's the song they'll be promoting.

Of course not,it just sounds like some of his solos. Check Audioslave's "Show me how to live".has a kind of similar one.

there are so many songs with a "solo" like that, it's just an ascending octave riff in D minor, many a band has used it before and many a band will use it again