Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

there are so many songs with a "solo" like that, it's just an ascending octave riff in D minor, many a band has used it before and many a band will use it again

Exactly.

And let's not act like it's the first time Matt plays it.

Edited by Dillyracer

I absolutely love this song! It sounds like how Muse should; no cheesy pop, no OTT silliness, and straight-up rock! The lyrics are still a bit weird, but at least they work in context of the song. I actually don't mind it being literal either, considering the theme of the album (I really think it's going to be an all-out concept album too.) Only issue I have is, that it's a bit repetitive, but I'm finding the song too awesome to really care.

100% sure.

From here:

To here:

7s

The "Your ass belongs to me now" part has it, but it is drowned out by Matt's vocals.

Was wrong about it being the snippet from Instagram though.

Kinda sounds like an organ or just a random pad sound

I've had the beat and lyrics in my head since hearing it at 7:15 last night on Radio 1... I fucking love it!

I love how it has a sort of brainwashing quality to it, i've been tapping my foot to the beat of it all date, without even listening to it.

Loved it to start with and it's still getting better. Can't get it out of my head though, which is pretty annoying! Visited the National Gallery today in London, had the words 'You fucking psycho' on the tip of my tongue the entire time.

EDIT: Apparently at 3.26pm we all had this same problem.

Our royal family has made clear they weren't amused by the projection of the artwork on the royal palace. They say the building can't be used for this purpose (promotion). I'm surprised Warner didn't ask permission to do this though. Anyway, they are going to contact Warner. :LOL:

Link (Dutch)

Our royal family has made clear they weren't amused by the projection of the artwork on the royal palace. They say the building can't be used for this purpose (promotion). I'm surprised Warner didn't ask permission to do this though. Anyway, they are going to contact Warner. :LOL:

Link (Dutch)

Oops :LOL:

If anything I had the chorus (especially the "I'm gonna make you,I'm gonna break you" part) stuck in my head all day,went to the fuckin' bank to pay a bill and I was like silently singing "your ass belongs to me now",oh them scenes if I sang that out loud! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

It's just weird listening to this song when the riff has been drilled into my brain for years from their live stuff.

I'm just so happy they turned the riff into a fully fledged song instead of just tacking it onto the end of one.

The guitar wail and falsetto at the end is a really cool touch.

^ I agree, completely.

We've gone from 1 instance of "fuck" in Panic Station to 11 uses of a variant in Psycho.

I'm smiling like an idiot right now. Muse are back.

^ Hell yeah, me too! :D

can't wait to see the song live, it'll sound immense even if the lyrics are hilarious

^ I'd say that's precisely why it'll be so GREAT live :D

singing "your ass belongs to me now" quietly around other people is apparently not ok. be careful.

^ Haha, true story! :D

Of course I personally am completely in love with it.

I wouldn't complain about the "silly" and not really deep lyrics - I'd say that's the whole point! I absolutely love the fact that the song is told from the abuser's perspective! I don't think Muse has done that before (correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at The Resistance which seems to be slightly similar thematically to Drones, Matt sings only about the abused, doesn't he?). For me it's quite a perfect sonng (another one) about brainwashing and since I'm quite into those kind of topics (wrote my BA thesis on brainwashing in Orwell's '1984'), I love it to the bits! Sure it's a bit hilarious, or 'hilariously offensive', but it wouldn't be a Muse song without a proper dose of silliness, at least not for me :D

Besides, I second that:

I have a thought but I'm not quite sure how to word it, so bear with me.

On one level, we have Matt whose lyrics of late haven't been the greatest (if ever). On another level, we have a song with something to say.

I agree that bits of the lyrics are hilarious, but that's because some of the shit that drill sergeants/drill instructors say when hurling out their abuse is pretty damn funny when it is looked at out of context. For example: "Texas? Only two things come from Texas: steers and queers. You don't look like no steer to me."

I think right now we're having a laugh, but maybe in time we'll realize that this song is actually pretty damn dark and we all like our Dark!Muse.

I enjoy all the screaming parts as well - makes me think of Pink Floyd (someone has pointed it here before) and I love it! :)

As for the accusation about allegedly offending people with mental illness with this song: I personally think it's just someone missing the whole point. There are obviously different kinds of mental illnesses, and seriously, this song is about a very specific kind of psycho. It's a song about a demonic psychopath, not mental illness in general. The fact that Matt sings what he sings about with his own voice has little to do with his opinions on people with mental illnesses. That's what art is about for me: he impersonates someone else and he does it well. I can hear someone who is a psycho in a demonic sense in this song, and I love it. It doesn't make anyone who has mental illness a demonic creature, get a perspective.

And anyway, just in general, I wanted to say, to all of you, that however annoyed I sometimes get with people here, I really do love being part of this community :D

Muse makes me (and has always made me) awfully happy :D

I can't wait to see them live again and meet at least some of you in the crazy crowds! :)

Edited by dreamyana

Am I the only one "offended" by the whole "pissing-on-a-guitar" thing ??? :stunned:

It's like a out-of-date easter egg ... I mean ... I innocently thought it was some "liquid" poured on Matt's guitar just for visuals (like Stockholm Syndrome videoclip) ...

But when you slow down the video, there's no doubt anymore. And that, is really fucking disgusting.

B_8ivVYWEAIieSu.jpg

Who got this idea ? What's revelant in this ? What's the "subject" ??? WHY ???

I'm totally okay with the song, the lyrics (serious or pretty funny, it depends on which side you chose to take it, not offended at all by insults), meaning(s), everything else ! But peeing on a guitar ... :erm: HELL NO !

Also, do you remember that pic' of Tom "washing" something ? ...

Now we know the "origin" of his cramped face !!! :LOL:

Yeah, probably not piss...

And Tom was just clearing up the paint and stuff in that picture I imagine

That was a separate shoot (Tom with a mop wasn't for Psycho). At least not for paint, if he was mopping anything it was probably the water on guitar. Probably for Dead Inside I reckon.