Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

My first post here, please be kind!

I am sure the band, if they read the posts in this thread would be laughing their heads off.

Like most i love the riff and the general vibe of the song, though i am not sold on the lyrics. I am still optimistic on the album.

I am currently listening to OoS, yet i fail to understand the nostalgia for it, Yes there are some good sond songs (Plug in baby, Darkshines), most of them are raw and immature (hardly suprising for an up and coming band, as they were back then). I am glad that the band have matured as the years have gone by, experimenting with other genres. I fail, again to understand the hatred of the last 2 albums. It's like some here feel that the band did it deliberately to upset them.

Finally, roll on June 8th!

I love it!! The sound, the vocals, lyrics... that fact this song originated and was given birth from a riff/jam we have all fallen in love with from the live shows, is just amazing. For me it makes it a more personal/special song directed towards the fans maybe...or maybe thats just me.

Comparisons, from Radiohead, Queen and now Marilyn Manson, it seems they will always attract these comparisons. The first thing my boyfriend said when listening to the track for the first time on Radio 1 was, "Sounds like Manson, beautiful people". I had to agree because I can see/hear the similarities, but to me its still MUSE! and it ROCKS!! I love it!

A lot of people that I know of have praised the song, one mate of mine saying "After 10 years Muse have finally woken up, banging, fair play". Now I partially disagree with this comment, because I've loved everything Muse have created, they have kept themselves fresh and new, while still retaining that Muse sound/feel. But yes, its gone back to the beginning for me and its great!

Ok maybe its not as raw as Showbiz, but its 'early Muse'. The distorted vocals remind me a lot of 'Yes Please' and 'Execution Commentary'.

Edited by Muse_Maniac

I am currently listening to OoS, yet i fail to understand the nostalgia for it, Yes there are some good sond songs (Plug in baby, Darkshines), most of them are raw and immature (hardly suprising for an up and coming band, as they were back then). I am glad that the band have matured as the years have gone by, experimenting with other genres. I fail, again to understand the hatred of the last 2 albums.

Muse were a rock band from the beginning, Matt always said he wanted to be a rock star, he wanted to have an awesome rock band. Their first three albums are responsible for the infamy of Muse fans being die hard, obsessed, etc. Heavy rock, weird lyrics about space, emotions, memories and experiences. Songs you could either mosh to or sit back and enjoy the beauty of. BH&R was alright too, but it was the beginning of the "new" Matt with his agenda to project his weird political beliefs and paranoia through his band.

The hate from the last 2 albums comes from the idea that the last 2 albums have no business being in the Muse discography. Political songs, love songs and love ballads, clarinets, oboes, trumpets, this new deep, bellowing opera voice Matt adopted. It was a total departure from what made Muse successful. Experimenting is fine, but you can go too far. And Muse went way, way too far.

To say "meh, OoS is alright but its nothing special" is appalling, even though I have heard Matt say similar things. (He has called several OoS songs "weird" and "embarrassing") At the end of the day, the die hard Muse fans just want their rock band back. Less undisclosed desires and muh muh madness, and more JUST TO SPIT IT IN YOUR FACE

Muse were a rock band from the beginning, Matt always said he wanted to be a rock star, he wanted to have an awesome rock band. Their first three albums are responsible for the infamy of Muse fans being die hard, obsessed, etc. Heavy rock, weird lyrics about space, emotions, memories and experiences. Songs you could either mosh to or sit back and enjoy the beauty of. BH&R was alright too, but it was the beginning of the "new" Matt with his agenda to project his weird political beliefs and paranoia through his band.

The hate from the last 2 albums comes from the idea that the last 2 albums have no business being in the Muse discography. Political songs, love songs and love ballads, clarinets, oboes, trumpets, this new deep, bellowing opera voice Matt adopted. It was a total departure from what made Muse what it is today. Experimenting is fine, but you can go too far. And Muse went way, way too far.

To say "meh, OoS is alright but its nothing special" is ridiculous, and I have heard Matt say similar things. (He has called several songs "weird" and "embarrassing") At the end of the day, the die hard Muse fans just want their rock band back. Less undisclosed desires and muh muh madness, and more JUST TO SPIT IT IN YOUR FACE

I'm a die hard Muse fan and disagree with about 90% of what you just said. They kept themselves new and fresh, I love how they experimented with different sounds, they have always retained that Muse sound. I fell in love with Muse when they were a 'Rock band' and still did during the Resistance and 2nd Law.

I want a Hullabaloo kinda album, back to the quirky/mad sound. Something I feel Psycho has touched on. So yes, I welcome 'Muse rock band' back for going back to their roots, but I do not discard any of their previous albums, they have all been amazing in their different ways

Edited by Muse_Maniac

I really don't understand all the lyric hate. Matt's never been a great lyricist but it's extremely promising that the lyrics seem solid in advancing the album's theme. I mean the lyrics are basically like 'Animals' if you ignore the swears. And hey, shit like "fat cats have a heart attack"? Nobody was hyper critical with any of that. Lots of critique about the lyrics which I don't think are that bad. Minimal attention given to Matt's on point form and delivery with all of the vocals, he's trying some new things too which are great.

I guarantee that if Muse kept on producing albums like OOS and Abso, people would still find room to complain that they haven't experimented enough or pushed the boundries.

Only given psycho 2 listens but I'm really enjoy it. The riff is perhaps a bit repetitive but it will be amazing live (really should open gigs with this)

From looking at the tracklisting and Matt's description of the album's theme, I get the feeling that if there has to be one 'over the top' song, then Psycho is it.

I'm a die hard Muse fan and disagree with about 90% of what you just said. They kept themselves new and fresh, I love how they experimented with different sounds, they have always retained that Muse sound. I fell in love with Muse when they were a 'Rock band' and still did during the Resistance and 2nd Law.

I want a Hullabaloo kinda album, back to the quirky/mad sound. Something I feel Psycho has touched on. So yes, I welcome 'Muse rock band' back for going back to their roots, but I do not discard any of their previous albums, they have all been amazing in their different ways

You can stay fresh without alienating a chunk of your fan base. Even though we have differing opinions, surely you can see how sounds like Survival, Guiding Light, Undisclosed Desires, Madness (need I go on) are a total departure from sounds like Hyper Music, Dark Shines, Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, etc.

I don't know if you listen to Breaking Benjamin (dons flame retardant gear) but they stay fresh every time, but come every new album you are getting heavy rock, you are getting Breaking Benjamin, just new, updated. You aren't getting electro disco love ballads.

. Less undisclosed desires and muh muh madness, and more JUST TO SPIT IT IN YOUR FACE

The arrogance of your post is quite amusing.

Die hard fans are tolerant of where their favourite band takes them musically. I am sure when Matt is recording a song, he would be wanting to push boundaries, musically speaking. They are his babies at the end of the day. He probably cares little if the so called die hard fans like it or not. For me, i say good on him, even though on all albums, there are songs i love and some i loath. But then, i don't call myself a die hard fan.

End of the day, politically i am not too far off the same side as Matt. So the political messages don't bother me (as in the anti-military message of Psycho). As for the love songs/ballads, all bands have a change of tempo on their albums. I will confess to having Invincible playing during my wedding ( When the bridal party was introduced) as i love some of the lyrics of the song.

Lets, wait and see how Drones, ends up sounding. I hope there is something on it for every fan.

I really don't understand all the lyric hate. Matt's never been a great lyricist but it's extremely promising that the lyrics seem solid in advancing the album's theme. I mean the lyrics are basically like 'Animals' if you ignore the swears. And hey, shit like "fat cats have a heart attack"? Nobody was hyper critical with any of that. Lots of critique about the lyrics which I don't think are that bad. Minimal attention given to Matt's on point form and delivery with all of the vocals, he's trying some new things too which are great.

Couldn't agree more, Muse's lyrics have never been the best thing ever and these are no worse than their normal output. What matters here is that this song has a kick-ass riff, sounds bloody brilliant and I can't wait to hear it live.

It's called an opinion fellas. I'm sorry I was too harsh on Madness and Undisclosed Desires. I just don't like them, okay? At least I left Neutron Star Collision alone, I don't know if I would have survived the revenge blows from knocking that masterpiece.

And for the record I really like Psycho, I already said that.

Edited by Zuka

People are always hyper critical, which isn't helped by the fact that Matt has never been the greatest lyricist. Been writing about pain in our souls for going on 20 years now.

That said the lyrics of this song actually do seem better than most of his recent work, but you have to remember to put them in the album's context. It has a POV and the fact that he commits fully to that is great, no matter how cheesy the fact that he's writing his own rock musical is.

If the whole album actually sticks to having a story and characters throughout, it could turn out to be some of their better lyrical work I think.

i think this track is pretty accessible

i also think after album#7 they call it quits (hope not, but just a gut feeling)

time to drone ourselves

I dunno, man. I think if they were gonna quit, they would've done it after Resistance. I think Muse has an album or two in them. Dom loves it, Chris loves it, and Matt loves to write. The tours might get shorter and smaller romantic venues, but I don't think they'll call it quits anytime soon.

It's called an opinion fellas. I'm sorry I was too harsh on Madness and Undisclosed Desires. I just don't like them, okay? At least I left Neutron Star Collision alone, I don't know if I would have survived the revenge blows from knocking that masterpiece.

And for the record I really like Psycho, I already said that.

I actually lol'd at that post, well done.

Just out of interest, what would you call a masterpiece?

I dunno, man. I think if they were gonna quit, they would've done it after Resistance. I think Muse has an album or two in them. Dom loves it, Chris loves it, and Matt loves to write. The tours might get shorter and smaller romantic venues, but I don't think they'll call it quits anytime soon.

i agree and i'm the last person to see them quit...but the omens are there

I need a little clarification - psycho was released just for the preorder right? It's not an official single? Only because I read on Chris' twitter earlier that he was proud of the single.

I was under the impression the 1st single would be dead inside.

edit: I also love how the end echoes out.

Edited by rina_06

I need a little clarification - psycho was released just for the preorder right? It's not an official single? Only because I read on Chris' twitter earlier that he was proud of the single.

I was under the impression the 1st single would be dead inside.

first the devil then death...

its muse :D