I just don't get what the song is saying. What's it about? Who is "you" supposed to be?

I interpret the "you" as being American Imperialism and Neoliberalism.

So as for further interpretation if there is one.

In the song (conceptually) there is supposed to be some big avenger of this threat - namely I would imagine the person/people who had recognised its existence (I imagine the idea is that the listener will think of him or herself as the avenger).

However, in the video it seems that the avengers are pretty pathetic. They are not really avengers at all. Instead they are pretending to be avengeful while being complicit to the myth of the American dream, represented by surfing in LA. They may not even be aware of the threat. In other words they may be unaware that anything is threatening their emancipation. That is probably, on the whole, what society is like.

But what of those who are aware of the threat yet remain largely complicit, because there doesn't seem any way not to be, that's when it starts to feel conflicted.

i just think they had a limited amount of time because of their schedule, so they utilised what they had where they were in their time off (LA) and this is the result.

London would made a better job imo.

Go through rich LA area.

Suits and fake guns.

Bond styled PV, maybe with some Muse cheese in there

Profit.

Go through rich LA area.

Suits and fake guns.

Profit.

Well yeah that was the obvious choice, but this is Muse we are talking about here.

I blame it on Kirky not directing. He tweeted from San Diego the day Muse were filming in LA.

i just think they had a limited amount of time because of their schedule, so they utilised what they had where they were in their time off (LA) and this is the result.

I even think that just a generic live video would have been so much better.

I always thought the video would be something like Dead Stars

Sure, surfers in London would've been a lot better.

It's not as if Muse are writing, directing and editing the video themselves? By the looks of it they had next to nothing to do in this video, just turn up one day and do a band performance for a bit in the sunset. Easy. Rest of it isn't so much up to the band is it?

Go through rich LA area.

Suits and fake guns.

Profit.

Don't you think that would have been equally cliched? Okay it would have been better.

Incidentally another interpretation of the "you". Maybe the "you" ultimately is Matt. So in the song, he's talking to himself about his own perceived eventual downfall or failure, delivered in, tongue in cheek, grandiose style.

Surfing metal guys compared to the American dream is a bit of a stretch. Entertainment, maybe.

I think the idea Matt is (only) singing about Americans in the song is a stretch.

It's intentionally vague, and stands for any majority group that negatively (to his mind) impacts society as a whole.

Governments (any; not like he's ever said much positive about the British govt, either,) entertainment/TV, the media, school bullies... whatever.

The video has nothing to do with this, unless it's such a poorly done metaphor that I'm completely oblivious to it.

I would say it would be more likely a giant in-joke on "all the seas" and Braveheart, than that it pertains to the song lyrics. :LOL:

Tbh, it probably means nothing. Just words that sound 'cool'.

>

In the song (conceptually) there is supposed to be some big avenger of this threat - namely I would imagine the person/people who had recognised its existence (I imagine the idea is that the listener will think of him or herself as the avenger).

However, in the video it seems that the avengers are pretty pathetic. They are not really avengers at all. Instead they are pretending to be avengeful while being complicit to the myth of the American dream, represented by surfing in LA. They may not even be aware of the threat. In other words they may be unaware that anything is threatening their emancipation. That is probably, on the whole, what society is like.

But what of those who are aware of the threat yet remain largely complicit, because there doesn't seem any way not to be, that's when it starts to feel conflicted.

imo. Because there's nothing in the lyrics that suggests anything pertaining to the world.

I think Muse are like the Michael Bay of rock music. Lots of flash, fun, special effects and actions but ultimately little in the way of meaningful content...

I think Muse are like the Michael Bay of rock music. Lots of flash, fun, special effects and actions but ultimately little in the way of meaningful content...

You say it, as if it's something new.

But I'd say OoS and Absolution could be considered as meaningful.

But what is meaningful? Can you be fun and meaningful at the same time?

Obviously I'm not going to say you're not allowed to interpret it that way personally but I think there's zero chance that anyone involved in the making of the video or the song have thought about it beyond thinking it looked cool (for some reason).

I guess that really depends on your definition of "meaningful content."

Maybe the BH&R/TR era saw some songs that felt less sincere - and sure, add somethings like Survival and Supremacy in there - but the early stuff, and actually a good deal of T2L feels pretty "meaningful" to me.

I don't need hard science or deep philosophy, I guess, and am content with songs about love and death, which to me, are about the end sum of life. :(

Archived