I guess that really depends on your definition of "meaningful content."

Maybe the BH&R/TR era saw some songs that felt less sincere - and sure, add somethings like Survival and Supremacy in there - but the early stuff, and actually a good deal of T2L feels pretty "meaningful" to me.

I don't need hard science or deep philosophy, I guess, and am content with songs about love and death, which to me, are about the end sum of life. :(

I largely agree, though I don't see why songs would need hard science to be meaningful in any case. I think many of the songs are pretty philosophical, particularly in the later albums. Some of the earlier songs were I think just random.

I think there is a tendency sometimes to write something off as lacking any depth of meaning because it is presented in a tongue in cheek way. It's fine to just see the ridiculousness of it, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing of depth in there. Incidentally I also think Survival is meaningful on more than one level.

Director Terry Hall about the video:

http://www.promonews.tv/2013/02/12/muse-supremacy-by-terry-hall/

Errr. Dark = "black metal surfers" ? LOL

“The song is made up of two really contrasting styles: half of it has super-heavy, Led Zep-esque guitar riffs and the other half is really stripped back with these orchestral breakdowns,” Terry explains. “I wanted to create something that captured the duality of that sound, contrasting all of the sun-drenched imagery you associate with California with something much darker and anarchic. The black metal surfers idea came out of that.

I just love this chain of thinking.

:stunned: I know nothing of film but I could come up with something better than that. I expect half the people on this board could.

That contrast thing didn't seem evident to me at all. Just weird. Oh well. If they wanted that sort of theme they could have gone down the likes of the post-apocalyptic Verona Beach in Romeo+Juliet.

This was probably the director's face during the shooting.

114174_340.jpg

:LOL:

To be honest, I think I may have got so hooked on the idea that Supremacy should have been a James Bond theme song, that I was expecting (and I dare say a few others too) a music video which reflected that to some extent. Perhaps someone hunting another down, gun shots, maybe a video in a similar style to the credits at the start of Bond films...

Anyway, what we got was not that, nothing even remotely like it. Which, considering the itself is just... weird, adds weight to the ..ah, dislike. And leaves me like this: :vomit:

I'd be very surprised if they went for a Bond-like video. Would mean more money than what they usually seem to be willing to spend on videos and the band is so crap at miming that it's difficult enough to get them to do a good performance video let a lone a video with some sort of narrative :LOL:

:LOL:

To be honest, I think I may have got so hooked on the idea that Supremacy should have been a James Bond theme song, that I was expecting (and I dare say a few others too) a music video which reflected that to some extent. Perhaps someone hunting another down, gun shots, maybe a video in a similar style to the credits at the start of Bond films...

Anyway, what we got was not that, nothing even remotely like it. Which, considering the itself is just... weird, adds weight to the ..ah, dislike. And leaves me like this: :vomit:

I wasn't expecting anything like a Bond video (to be honest I completely forgot there was gonna be one till I saw NME post it) and I was still disappointed so it's not just that :LOL:

• 1 month later...

Archived