Where does The 2nd Law rank for you?

Museic07

Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th

I honestly feel The 2nd Law is one of their best albums and could argue it's their best. For me a lot of their albums have too many songs which sound quite similar while personally for me T2L doesn't. Each song stands out from each other and has more experimentation, integrates different genre aspects while keeping the 'Muse' sound, I know this'll be a very unpopular opinion.

I personally couldn't make a list of which album is better then as I enjoy them all, some more then others depending on the day but I feel T2L gets a lot more hate then it deserves. I'd be very frustrated if they just did another Absolution or OoS, as much as I love those albums they've had their time. OoS was over 10 years ago, if they were still trying to write songs like Hyper Music it wouldn't say much for their development as a band or as musicians....there is a high chance I could wake up tomorrow and completely disagree with all this

I was going to write my opinion, but this pretty much mirrors what I would say.

I would like to add that T2L is conceptually the strongest and for what it's worth the band seems to have had the best time recording it. Oh and I wouldn't mind some OoS-esque songs as B-sides :D

As you pointed out, the songs have stronger identities in T2L. I think this is worth discussing. What that means is the other albums sound more like albums, but at the same time the fact that T2L songs all relate thematically while being so unique from each other is impressive. It still feels like an album. How do you judge an album anyway? Based on the number of songs you liked? How often you want to listen to it? Or how it made you feel as a whole? If I may, compare it to a relationship. What do you remember? Just the good memories? How well they treated you? How much you loved them? Or do you just remember how bad they hurt you?

Anyway, the thing is, a band can't win either way. If they experiment with their sound, people will say they've changed too much or they've sold out (especially if they mix genres or write pop singles). If they stay the same, people will say their stale; their trying to ride the success of their old stuff, or that they aren't taking any risks or improving.

Imagine where music would be if no one tried to push the envelope. That's why I love Muse. They push it with every release, but they always manage to have some charm that's undeniable. I may be able to give you a favorite list of albums, but it won't be true or permanent. For me, it's the same with their songs. It's like asking me which child I love the most. Honestly it depends on my mood :LOL: I may be having a Showbiz kind of day or a BHR kind of week.

Hopefully, with time, T2L will grow on everyone. Maybe in a few years after Muse releases a country album you can look back on it and appreciate it :p

It still feels like an album.

Nope :LOL: To me T2L feels like a random collection of songs more than anything else.

And all the songs relating thematically to each other is kinda off too.

EDIT: Oh, and also:

Anyway, the thing is, a band can't win either way. If they experiment with their sound, people will say they've changed too much or they've sold out (especially if they mix genres or write pop singles). If they stay the same, people will say their stale; their trying to ride the success of their old stuff, or that they aren't taking any risks or improving.

I think most of the complaints about Muse "selling out" have been about them being in the Twilight soundtrack and having dubstep influences when it is a very mainstream genre. I rarely hear people accusing Muse of selling out when it comes to mixing genres or writing pop singles. Muse have always been quite poppy anyway.

But yes, it's true that you can never please everyone.

Hopefully, with time, T2L will grow on everyone.

Why should it? Inb4 "BECAUSE IT'S SO AWESOME"

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to write my opinion, but this pretty much mirrors what I would say.

I would like to add that T2L is conceptually the strongest and for what it's worth the band seems to have had the best time recording it. Oh and I wouldn't mind some OoS-esque songs as B-sides :D

As you pointed out, the songs have stronger identities in T2L. I think this is worth discussing. What that means is the other albums sound more like albums, but at the same time the fact that T2L songs all relate thematically while being so unique from each other is impressive. It still feels like an album. How do you judge an album anyway? Based on the number of songs you liked? How often you want to listen to it? Or how it made you feel as a whole? If I may, compare it to a relationship. What do you remember? Just the good memories? How well they treated you? How much you loved them? Or do you just remember how bad they hurt you?

Imagine where music would be if no one tried to push the envelope. That's why I love Muse. They push it with every release, but they always manage to have some charm that's undeniable. I may be able to give you a favorite list of albums, but it won't be true or permanent. For me, it's the same with their songs. It's like asking me which child I love the most. Honestly it depends on my mood :LOL: I may be having a Showbiz kind of day or a BHR kind of week.

Hopefully, with time, T2L will grow on everyone. Maybe in a few years after Muse releases a country album you can look back on it and appreciate it :p

I really couldn't agree with you more... Its exactly how I feel. I can't really rate the albums, because I love them all, just as much as each other. At the moment I'm having a showbiz week ;)

The album's really worn off for me now. It's too all over the place for me to really enjoy listening to it as an album and all of the songs, bar a couple, are pretty average/nothing special really. I'd say it's tied with Showbiz as my least favourite album. Shame, I remember really liking it when it first came out :(

Opinions and all, but I seriously can't see how T2L is Muse's weakest.

The other albums are better.

The ending kills the album for me. I don't really enjoy Big Freeze - Unsustainable.

Watch the Fantano review of the album for further information :)

But there is some hope that I change my opinion one day :3

The other albums are better.

The ending kills the album for me. I don't really enjoy the Big Freeze - Unsustainable.

Watch the Fantano review of the album for further informaton :)

But there is some hope that I change my opinion one day :3

Fantano-core

It's still above TR and Showbiz for me.

:yesey:

I don't see T2L as being their weakest at all, not their strongest but I wouldn't call it weak. I expected not to like it at all (TR gradually put me off Muse for a while so I didn't listen to the new album until a few months back.) ..but when I did listen to it I was pleasantly surprised by some of the songs :happy:

Archived