Where does The 2nd Law rank for you?

Museic07

Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Where does The 2nd Law rank in YOUR preference list?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th

Perhaps I'm just speaking from the perspective of shallower music fans than the ones on this forum but, in my experience, if an artist has released a few albums of relatively similar quality (ie. no MASSIVELY better or terrible ones), what edges people's favourite is what one they listened to first. :rolleyes:

Don't know why, maybe they identify with it more, or it's the one that made them love an artist first before they went to the other albums with preconceptions, thinking "OMG it's the new album from band X..."

As their fanbase has grown massively since Showbiz, many people won't have heard Showbiz first, perhaps going back to it as an afterthought, hence it not being many people's favourite. A theory? :$

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone on here agreeing that Showbiz and T2L are of similar quality. So while I fully agree that sentiment might play a role, I disagree with the causality that you propose. I think what you say should be explained in terms of a selection effect, in that the album that drags somebody into a band is obviously liked by them per definition, whereas later albums may or may not be liked. That alone will skew the statistics in favour of the first album encountered.

1. Origin of symmetry - Best- Citizen erased- worst- Megalomania

2. The 2nd law ( will probably overtake OOS ) - Best- too early to tell - worst- follow me

3. Showbiz - best - showbiz - worst - sober

4. Absolution - best - Hysteria - worst - Falling away with you

5. Black holes and revelations - best - Knights of cydonia - worst - Take a bow

6. The resistance - best - exogenesis 1,2,3 - worst - I belong to you

• 4 months later...

I really am surprised by how much I like it. Which is even more surprising considering the amount of flak this album has taken. I've been a Muse fan for a very long time, and it's a clear 3rd. Definitely better than The Resistance.

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry

The 2nd Law

Black Holes and Revelations

The Resistance

Showbiz

For me

Abso > OoS/BH&R > Showbiz > TR > T2L

Abso is first for me as songs like SS, TSP, SFA, Hysteria and the others on the album are great

It was hard to separate OoS and BH&R as these are both really solid albums and are equal 2nd

Showbiz just etched in before TR as the old stuff for me is still so great to listen to

TR is placed above T2L as TR flows and sounds like an album compared to T2L with songs like Follow Me, Madness and Big Cheese and Save Me just dont do it for me, though i will admit Suprem, Survival, LS, Unsus and Animals do it some justice

Archived