Dear Niall

Neil.

It is the best colour. Brown is awful and people who like brown know nothing of colours.

Melancholia or District 9 or Minority Report or Eternal Sunshine or Up or Nightmare Before Christmas or Star Wars.

I wasn't that impressed by Melancholia.

Never watched Eternal Sunshine.

Niall, what's your opinion on zoos. Good, bad, don't know? I don't have an opinion one way or the other but I was thinking about it the other day and decided I would rather somebody else just tell me what to think.

:LOL: but it's not a society. It's a messageboard.

We could very easily decide to ban everyone. Or make the board private. Or take down the board entirely. Wipe it. Ban all off-topic. Create swearing filters. Make a secret area of the board where you could only see if you could prove you had been a fan since Showbiz. I'm not sure I'm getting your point here. We could do a lot of things, but we don't.

It's not too far from a society. There's community members, leaders, people with different standings, and sometimes stuff actually gets done on a bigger scale.

Again, you could do all that stuff, but you don't. Great. But what does it matter do just post an example like you did a few pages ago when the complaints get heated? The arguing didn't stop but it sure as hell died down and took another direction once the specific examples were posted.

Sippe mentioned how there's clearly not much of a trust going on between the mods and users so if the only thing that's mentioned is a vague answer then of course there's going to be some paranoia about favoritism and unfair agreed-upon bannings.

The other messageboard I use (somethingawful) you have to pay to use and you can still get banned for shit like spelling errors, and it works well that way.

I didn't know people still went on somethingawful after paid service was introduced.

I'm not really up for turning the muse board into a social experiment on online democracy.

That would be AMAZING.

I thought it would be fun to have 'libertarian month' and 'authoritarian month' but then realise how phenomenally stupid that idea is.

inb4 'every month is authoritarian month'

I wasn't that impressed by Melancholia.

Never watched Eternal Sunshine.

Niall, what's your opinion on zoos. Good, bad, don't know? I don't have an opinion one way or the other but I was thinking about it the other day and decided I would rather somebody else just tell me what to think.

As a nihilist and an astronomer with much experience of depression I guess it really spoke to me :LOL:

Zoos are good as long as they're responsible. They perform vital roles of conservation of rare species and education about foreign animals. Historically they were just animal museums that paraded them out as a public spectacle but I think (at least in developed countries) they're a lot better.

You MUST be a pothead.

:rolleyes:

I got high once. I had already drank two bottles of rosé and a lot of vodka and tequila. I did not remain conscious for very long.

I thought it would be fun to have 'libertarian month' and 'authoritarian month' but then realise how phenomenally stupid that idea is.

inb4 'every month is authoritarian month'

Every month is libertarian month unless the mods dislike you :awesome:

I couldn't see a choice of mods via democracy being anything other than a detriment to the board

Had a look at this thread and was amazed how many people think they have some sort of divine right over what happens on Muse's messageboard. You're not being oppressed, you're using someone else's property for free!

The other messageboard I use (somethingawful) you have to pay to use and you can still get banned for shit like spelling errors, and it works well that way.

I don't see anything wrong with people voicing their opinions about mod decisions if it's done in a sensible way and not in the way that was done with the alt account a few pages back. An attempt at reasoned debate is never something to be frowned upon; whether you'd regard a lot of posts made as reasoned debate is another matter. If people in communities don't complain then what often happens is that everyone other than a select few end up miserable when they go there, so they leave.

Whenever SA is mentioned people bring up the fact that mods are surrounded by sycophants and if the mods behave anything like you describe on a forum you have to pay to go on I'd say it sounds like a pretty horrible place to be.

No shit. A democratic society would include freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech doesn't even really exist in society. There's a ton of things you can't say without getting fined or going to gaol. No website has freedom of speech. None that I know of anyway. Even boards typically cited as being super liberal like 4chan ban people for complaining about mods.

Whenever SA is mentioned people bring up the fact that mods are surrounded by sycophants and if the mods behave anything like you describe on a forum you have to pay to go on I'd say it sounds like a pretty horrible place to be.

I'm not going to lie half the mods on SA are power mad. I've seen people get banned for spoilers the Game of Thrones TV show for saying the most trivial stuff just because it's not mentioned in the show - e.g. "Lemoncakes are Sansa's favourite food." It's ridiculous but at least you don't get pages and pages of teenagers acting like they're living in North Korea because they don't like how the mods do their jobs.

No shit. A democratic society would include freedom of speech.

By the way, freedom of speech doesn't mean "You can say anything anytime and get away with it". People having a negative reaction to what you say and taking appropriate action doesn't count as oppression.

I think the biggest point to take out of this is Gorker only has a two week ban. If that is true then the mods priorities are truly skew whiff. What he said was probably the worst thing I have ever read on this place. It's decisions like that that truly undermine confidence in the way this place is run. There has been a lot of talk about the necessity for context in this thread, taken both in and out of context what Gorker said was abhorrent. Two weeks, two fucking weeks. I despair.

It's not power. It's a messageboard. It's just a messageboard. No one has to be here.

Some of us want to be here bb, stop acting like we are your burden.

You're missing the point here, I feel. This is a messageboard, as you know. There is a team who run it and make decisions for the users here. We have been doing this for a really long time and people have been banned and sometimes other users are not happy about this, yet the board keeps going. We aren't a public service, we are unpaid volunteers that aren't accountable to the members of the board when it comes to the decisions we make and are therefore under no obligation to explain every action to everyone. The user in question gets notified about action taken against them, it's not for everyone else to debate.

I know this might sound harsh, but I'm trying to put it in very plain terms.

indeed. & why keep bringing up BOD's glassing post as some sort of point, for all you know he could've got 68 infractions for that.

Dude, it's not your ban. It's not your concern. I don't really understand why you are trying to argue this so much.

i think he is in love with alex

Anyway, who the fuck is Alex?

In principle, yes, but if, for example, I had decided that I had a headache and couldn't be bothered to talk to you anymore, I could absolutely go and ban you. But that would appear in the mod area, and I would be questioned over it. That's the point, and that's why that doesn't happen.

:yesey:

dats why dere is a Team :awesome: board guvvamints

Archived