Dear Niall

Neil.

But you guys have already discussed it with us for several pages despite not showing us the posts so I don't see the difference? No matter if you show us the posts or not, it still seems that you will argue about it with us for all these pages, so I don't see what you have to lose.

But then it has been shown, and people will still argue the toss, and are still arguing the toss.

You want it to be a public service? We will make the board subscription only and turn it into a job instead of a volunteer service.

I just think that power without responsibility is a bad thing.

The only crap star wars imo is The Clone Wars, rest are great. District 9 and Minority Report are great movies too. Never seen the others

Dude, you gotta see Melancholia.

But then it has been shown, and people will still argue the toss, and are still arguing the toss.
Yes in this case, and probably a lot of other cases. But you have to agree that in theory, replying to the questions presented in an argument is a more likely way to stop it. It doesn't always work, but like I said, I don't see what you have to lose. With the current way of doing things though, I don't see a single scenario where a questioned ban would EVER not lead to an argument.

It's not power. It's a messageboard. It's just a messageboard. No one has to be here.

In principle, you can ban anyone without giving a reason why. That's power without responsibility.

Why, is it really good?

I'm in agreement with Niall, it's one of the best.

Only one post has been shown, not a streak of posts...

But what are you trying to achieve with this argument? What is it that you think you will get out of it? Explain it to me because I clearly don't understand.

Yes in this case, and probably a lot of other cases. But you have to agree that in theory, replying to the questions presented in an argument is a more likely way to stop it. It doesn't always work, but like I said, I don't see what you have to lose. With the current way of doing things though, I don't see a single scenario where a questioned ban would EVER not lead to an argument.

I do completely see your point, but I don't want to start to have to do that. It will mean more work, more kick off and probably more questions. As I said, we are happy to discuss with the user in question, I don't really understand why anyone else is concerned with someone else's ban anyway, especially in this case where the reaction to the ban email was something along the lines of "lol ur gay".

But what are you trying to achieve with this argument? What is it that you think you will get out of it? Explain it to me because I clearly don't understand.

Is it really hard to understand?

Dude, it's not your ban. It's not your concern. I don't really understand why you are trying to argue this so much.

I just want to fully understand what got him banned. I don't want him unbanned or something, I just want clarity.

If you just can't tell me, it's ok.

I do completely see your point, but I don't want to start to have to do that. It will mean more work, more kick off and probably more questions. As I said, we are happy to discuss with the user in question, I don't really understand why anyone else is concerned with someone else's ban anyway, especially in this case where the reaction to the ban email was something along the lines of "lol ur gay".

Oh I think I should have been more clear then because yes I agree, discussing a ban with every single member who questions it is indeed pointless. But like I said in my posts earlier, in this case not even Alex(the banned person) seemed to get what got him infracted, which was why I thought it would be a better idea to just spell it out.

In principle, you can ban anyone without giving a reason why. That's power without responsibility.

In principle, yes, but if, for example, I had decided that I had a headache and couldn't be bothered to talk to you anymore, I could absolutely go and ban you. But that would appear in the mod area, and I would be questioned over it. That's the point, and that's why that doesn't happen.

Is it really hard to understand?

I just want to fully understand what got him banned. I don't want him unbanned or something, I just want clarity.

Is it really that hard to understand what got him banned? The two posts that has been shown is reason enough. One of them was a pretty harmless joke but it's still what got him banned. There, question answered. (for the millionth time)

As I said, it's not your ban, it's a messageboard that he has been banned from. He's not been beaten up and thrown in jail. I am not sure why you are making this an issue when it isn't anything to do with you. If you have a situation where you are banned or infracted and you wish to discuss it, of course I would go through it with you if you asked but it's not!

Oh I think I should have been more clear then because yes I agree, discussing a ban with every single member who questions it is indeed pointless. But like I said in my posts earlier, in this case not even Alex(the banned person) seemed to get what got him infracted, which was why I thought it would be a better idea to just spell it out.

Oh, he knew. He completely knew. Which is why he replied to the ban email the way he did instead of "I'm not really sure what happened here, can we discuss it?".

In principle, yes, but if, for example, I had decided that I had a headache and couldn't be bothered to talk to you anymore, I could absolutely go and ban you. But that would appear in the mod area, and I would be questioned over it. That's the point, and that's why that doesn't happen.

Yeah, but you guys could easily decide for yourselves that you could ban anyone, and we couldn't do anything about it.

In a society, the people always have the right to demolish a government that doesn't take care of the government, but we aren't in a position to take anything away from you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Mods (or at least some mods) should be chosen by the users.

Yeah, but you guys could easily decide for yourselves that you could ban anyone, and we couldn't do anything about it.

In a society, the people always have the right to demolish a government that doesn't take care of the government, but we aren't in a position to take anything away from you. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Mods (or at least some mods) should be chosen by the users.

But then we'd have people like Hannah as mods.

:LOL: but it's not a society. It's a messageboard.

We could very easily decide to ban everyone. Or make the board private. Or take down the board entirely. Wipe it. Ban all off-topic. Create swearing filters. Make a secret area of the board where you could only see if you could prove you had been a fan since Showbiz. I'm not sure I'm getting your point here. We could do a lot of things, but we don't.

Had a look at this thread and was amazed how many people think they have some sort of divine right over what happens on Muse's messageboard. You're not being oppressed, you're using someone else's property for free!

The other messageboard I use (somethingawful) you have to pay to use and you can still get banned for shit like spelling errors, and it works well that way.

Archived