Dear Niall

Neil.

Well then, I don't want to sound condescending(I promise, I really don't) but that wasn't so hard, was it? :LOL:

He said something similar to what got me an infraction just a while back, was warned, then said something more. Thus explaining what the mods and admins have been going on about here by saying "several cases of unpleasant conduct" but without specifying. Thanks.

It's basically a post example of what I have been saying over and over again though without giving specific examples. I'm not going to lie to you guys about our decisions, sometimes there are fuck ups, then we discuss them with the mod in question. There's a lot of discussion over users in the mod area before they are given a final warning/long term ban. Personally, sometimes I agree with the rest of the team, sometimes I don't, but I will absolutely back the majority decision. There are many cases where I would have dealt out harsher punishment than has been agreed on, and the other mods disagree. We are pretty laid back on this board generally but there is no room for persistant troublemakers.

tl;dr I have been doing this for about ten years, we don't just ban users (unless spambots etc) on a whim.

It's basically a post example of what I have been saying over and over again though without giving specific examples. I'm not going to lie to you guys about our decisions, sometimes there are fuck ups, then we discuss them with the mod in question. There's a lot of discussion over users in the mod area before they are given a final warning/long term ban. Personally, sometimes I agree with the rest of the team, sometimes I don't, but I will absolutely back the majority decision. There are many cases where I would have dealt out harsher punishment than has been agreed on, and the other mods disagree. We are pretty laid back on this board generally but there is no room for persistant troublemakers.

tl;dr I have been doing this for about ten years, we don't just ban users (unless spambots etc) on a whim.

Yes, you can say that you have reasons over and over, but you can't expect us to take it on faith.

Yeah fair enough. Obviously the post you bought up doesn't really help Alex's case. I do still feel however that he was more recently putting an effort in and actually making good conversation and all. Just seems really unfortunate/crap that it was that joke that got him banned ultimately (presume there wasn't anything else he posted since being unbanned since the one you highlighted was from Feb?). 12 months does just seem a bit harsh to me

Yes, you can say that you have reasons over and over, but you can't expect us to take it on faith.

You're missing the point here, I feel. This is a messageboard, as you know. There is a team who run it and make decisions for the users here. We have been doing this for a really long time and people have been banned and sometimes other users are not happy about this, yet the board keeps going. We aren't a public service, we are unpaid volunteers that aren't accountable to the members of the board when it comes to the decisions we make and are therefore under no obligation to explain every action to everyone. The user in question gets notified about action taken against them, it's not for everyone else to debate.

I know this might sound harsh, but I'm trying to put it in very plain terms.

I'm not sure the "behaving better lately" concept applies in any situation. If people have received infractions and warnings in the past, no matter how long ago they were or how they are behaving lately, they have targets on their backs (or chests if you prefer).

Improved behaviour doesn't rid you of your priors, it just means you get to stick around for a little while longer. If you offend, your punishment will take into account your priors in the context that you certain things won't get overlooked that might if you were a first time offender.

Just to clarify, I'm know I'm starting to sound a bit like an apologist but I'm not. I don't necessarily agree with the methods, I'm just attempting to rationalise the madness.

But isn't it easier to deal with waves of whinging like this by saying "okay you wanna know why he was banned? Here, here and here are posts that he made that are all worthy of infractions, thus he was banned" instead of going "we don't discuss these matters, you should just trust us, it's a matter of principle" when the mod team clearly doesn't have that kind of trust amongst the users of the board. I mean there HAVE been some major fuck ups by them(which is only natural, even though I think they've been worse at their job than they should be, but that's another matter).

Just seems like it could have saved us all a couple of pages of arguing if you(as a group) didn't stand by principles that obviously aren't working. Like I said, you(as a group) really don't have the trust of a big part of the users of this board, and then I really don't think that posts that come across as "we have our reasons, let's leave it at that" are really helping.

Yeah fair enough. Obviously the post you bought up doesn't really help Alex's case. I do still feel however that he was more recently putting an effort in and actually making good conversation and all. Just seems really unfortunate/crap that it was that joke that got him banned ultimately (presume there wasn't anything else he posted since being unbanned since the one you highlighted was from Feb?). 12 months does just seem a bit harsh to me

Given his actions after the ban, I don't really regret the decision that was made and, in fact, just backed up the point that he was out to cause trouble. He could have contacted us sensibly, people have done this in the past, but he chose to register two new accounts and be a twat about it.

You're missing the point here, I feel. This is a messageboard, as you know. There is a team who run it and make decisions for the users here. We have been doing this for a really long time and people have been banned and sometimes other users are not happy about this, yet the board keeps going. We aren't a public service, we are unpaid volunteers that aren't accountable to the members of the board when it comes to the decisions we make and are therefore under no obligation to explain every action to everyone. The user in question gets notified about action taken against them, it's not for everyone else to debate.

I know this might sound harsh, but I'm trying to put it in very plain terms.

No, I full understand that. I just meant that, even after you were pressed for an explanation, which really shouldn't be too hard to provide, you failed to provide sufficient evidence. Had we been shown that from the start this argument wouldn't have happened.

Given his actions after the ban, I don't really regret the decision that was made and, in fact, just backed up the point that he was out to cause trouble. He could have contacted us sensibly, people have done this in the past, but he chose to register two new accounts and be a twat about it.

Yes, but in fairness he only did that after being banned.

I'm looking right now at the warning he recieved on his first day back after a ban when he posted -

Original post here - http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?p=10014338

He was told then that any further offences would result in a permaban. He offended, was given a 12 month ban. Is still apparently crying about it.

He was absolutely told.

So this + that post in which he was misunderstood = ban? ...

Alex knew something was going to happen well in advance of something actually happening, but didn't at all bother to contact us and clear things up or argue his case.

I agree with Blee, we've made mistakes before and will likely make them again. It's hard to know the motives and intentions of everyone on the board in the context of their relationships with other users when all we have to go on is text and emoticons, so slip ups and misunderstandings are inevitable. When they happen we hope users will be understanding. Alex however replied to the ban email with "ur gay lel".

This definitely isn't the first time we've said this. It's in the board guidelines too.

So this + that post in which he was misunderstood = ban? ...

+ a whole bunch of earlier stuff + other posts + being told further problems would result in a long term ban.

The "misunderstood" post, which I understood perfectly, is a bit of a red herring.

Nothing more than an observation: I find it very, very interesting that the majority of people complaining vigorously against the ban fall under a certain 'demographic' - male and 21 and under. Anyway, the more of this I read the more it becomes apparent that this is now people a) complaining for the sake of complaining and throwing their toys out of the pram and b) people refusing to accept the valid arguments that they are being presented with.

Archived