Ehhhh, I went to a couple A Perfect Circle shows where there is a super strict no phones rule (can't even have it out to text) and everyone abides by it, but it was one of the most dead energy crowds I've ever been in. Standers gonna stand, phones or not.

That's interesting, I didn't know certain bands were actually that strict with phones. It's a shame the crowd was still dead, what's the age demographic like with A Perfect Circle? I know literally nothing about them.

At 29 I tend to be on the younger side at a U2 gig by quite a bit so I doubt a phoneless gig would be all that different. Then again, they're not exactly a band known for rough crowds/ mosh pits and the like. Muse on be other hand still have their rowdy moments and I've definitely been given a dirty looks in recent years for accidentally getting in the way of a kodak moment whilst jumping around.

To be fair though, SBE was fantastic. Everyone was really up for it.

Outside of very small fanbases, US crowds are typically not that active, regardless of age, demographic, or phone use.

Honestly, I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than the constant jumping up and down and moshing of the '90s, which prevented me from really watching or enjoying the majority of gigs I went to back in the day.

I'm not into the full on heavy mosh pits but I'm getting tired of having to push my way to the front rows each show just to get a crowd that isn't dead still. There's seats/back of the crowd always if you want calm.

I don't really mind losing sight of the band if I've seen them before.

I'm sure there's just as many people up front who just want a close up view of the band they paid to see without someone slamming into them, too.

Everyone pays the same ticket price, and has the right to watch the show however they see fit, without being overly disruptive.

The moshing and pogoing of the '90s was absolute bullshit, tbh. It was just something you had to do, and did systematically to every single song of every single band because "that's how concerts are."

It wasn't people expressing enjoyment of the band, it was just an excuse to not control excess testosterone in a healthy manner, and "tradition."

As a rock musician must be discouraging seeing the audience not even nodding their heads.

I remember watching an interview with Thom Yorke and he has the best outlook on it imo. Some crowds get rowdy, some crowds stay still and soak it in - you can never tell until you get out there and, when you do, you've just gotta accept whatever the vibe is that night, adjust and get on with it. As long as the crowd's not actively disrespecting you, it's all good.

Over the years, I've learned to just do me and focus on my own enjoyment at gigs, whether that means dancing/singing and shit or just watching. Probs a massive embarrassment to look at sometimes but, other than that, I'm not disrupting anyone else so fook it. If the entire crowd is doing the same as you it's obvs a perfect vibe, but I'm not gonna let whatever everyone else is doing stop me from enjoying it how I want to. Sometimes you can tell other people around you feel like doing the same so you can actually break the ice a bit for them that way as well.

That's interesting, I didn't know certain bands were actually that strict with phones. It's a shame the crowd was still dead, what's the age demographic like with A Perfect Circle? I know literally nothing about them.

Same frontman from Tool, so there's fandom crossover. And the same strict rule applies for Tool & Puscifer shows. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/a-perfect-circle-guitarist-defends-bands-no-cell-phone-policy-at-concerts/

As I'd say the age range is late 20s through late 40s. We're gettin' old! :'( :LOL: The Portland show's audience was a bit more energetic, while I swear I felt like I was in a library at the CA show. Pretty sure I stuck out like a sore thumb being the only handful of people into it. :$ They would have some smaller venue shows that would get a bit more energetic, but there's also a no moshing rule on that last tour last year, so I guess people just stand completely still these days? :erm:

Outside of very small fanbases, US crowds are typically not that active, regardless of age, demographic, or phone use.

Honestly, I enjoy it a hell of a lot more than the constant jumping up and down and moshing of the '90s, which prevented me from really watching or enjoying the majority of gigs I went to back in the day.

I don't miss the bruised ribs and injury days for sure, but a little movement and interest would be nice! :LOL:

As a rock musician must be discouraging seeing the audience not even nodding their heads.

Agreed. Some head nodding goes a long way.

I clap and cheer after songs, and that's about it nowdays. I've also enjoyed the gigs a ton more for paying attention.

Phones go in the opposite direction, and I don't get how people enjoy the gig while worrying about filming or taking pictures, but again to each their own.

I would assume artists take some solace from seeing a packed crowd, no matter what they're doing, and the fat paycheck that that entails.

At any rate, I don't feel bad for them.

There're soooo many levels between pogoing and doing nothing at a gig :$

So? Doesn't matter if it's jumping up and down, or screaming/singing at the top of my lungs. Both of them detract from my ability to watch and enjoy the show, and frankly make me feel a bit silly.

If people go to the gig to blow off steam, or to get physical, fine, but that's not any more valid than people who want to quietly enjoy the show, either.

My original point being, when moshing/pogoing the entire gig was a thing, people weren't always really enjoying the show the way they wanted to, either, they were just doing what they had to do.

It's better when people are just allowed to be themselves.

Hi!!! I'm new to the forum. I've just siqned up. So I thought I'd introduce myself. Concerning the topic in hand, I'm more used to going to Kasabian gigs. They tend to force you into singalongs. I'm not really that expressive at gigs. So being cajolled into the singalong is something I remember. I don't really like it because I can't sing. I do a sort of shout thing. Being forced to singalong though, surprises you about your own singing ability. I sounded alot better than I thought I would.

What really niggles me though. I have discovered this on my travels. Is the Reading festival/Kasabian choir. I don't know what anyone else thinks about this. Maybe nobody on this thread has heard them. But they, to me. sound far too rowdy. There's something really suspicious about a load of angelic sounding middle-class, young, people singing very loudly; in unison; at two in the morning on a festival campsite; all of their own accord; with no encouragement. All of them seem to be perfectly in sync and of the same mind. So it sounds really eerie.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear that choir, I just fear social disorder.

Edited by stt3

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking something similar about Rock am Ring actually. I wouldn't be surprised if Showbiz does turn up, although I think it's been overplayed and it hasn't even been back for a year yet.

Given that it's Rock am Ring, I was expecting one of the forgotten Absolution songs to possibly come back - The Small Print, Endlessly, or Thoughts of - but it seems more unlikely the more I think about it.

Given that it's Rock am Ring, I was expecting one of the forgotten Absolution songs to possibly come back - The Small Print, Endlessly, or Thoughts of

Are you saying that because of the ‘04 performance? ‘Cos they’ve played there since then.

Edit:

I wouldn't be surprised if Showbiz does turn up, although I think it's been overplayed and it hasn't even been back for a year yet.

Also I was gonna say “boys we live in a time where we can say we wouldn’t be surprised to see Showbiz, how did we get here” but then I saw the ‘overplayed’ part and honestly wtf

Seeing fan reactions to deep cuts a few months later makes me think we don't deserve them really.

When you’ve seen people say Showbiz (6x in 19 gigs after 11 years), Fury (13x in 10 years) and Futurism (6x literally ever) are overplayed

tbh, 700% yes

Pre-Zepp?

Lmao try convincing me the final versions of Futurism, Glorious, Eternally Missed or Easily would literally ever be played. Or that Muse would do a actual, proper, fully legit by-request show full of hardcores at the venue I most wanted to go to. Shit, try telling me Muse would start playing clubs occasionally, regardless of rarities. The idea of the Psycho Tour alone blew my mind at the time.

The maddest thing we’d seen up ‘til that point was an album anniversary gig (which, granted, was for their best record and fucking great), or 1 minute of Host coming back for a few gigs.

Are you saying that because of the ‘04 performance? ‘Cos they’ve played there since then.

Edit:

Also I was gonna say “boys we live in a time where we can say we wouldn’t be surprised to see Showbiz, how did we get here” but then I saw the ‘overplayed’ part and honestly wtf

I know they went to Rock am Ring in 2010 as well. It was just wishful thinking to hope for a return of those songs. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't TSP the only song sound-checked for the Drones tour that didn't actually get played in the end?

As for the Showbiz part, that's just how I feel about it. 6 times in the past year is a lot for a rarity, then you look at something like Blackout which was only played once in 2016. I get that I'm new to the forum and all and perhaps I'm talking a load of garbage, in fact I probably am.

Blackout was indeed only played once in 2016...but almost 20 times in 2013. 6 times in 11 years really isn’t that much considering how much Muse tour. But yes, there are other songs that are even more rare.

Blackout was indeed only played once in 2016...but almost 20 times in 2013. 6 times in 11 years really isn’t that much considering how much Muse tour. But yes, there are other songs that are even more rare.

Ah right, forgive me. I was unaware Showbiz had not been played for THAT long. I had assumed it was only 5-6 years for some reason.

I would still rather hear Blackout at least once this year over Showbiz however.