It all depends on you really. I've met people who travel all over the world to see the favourite bands, and it it's worth it for them, then great, but to me that would be insane. I'm not sure there's any band in the world that I'd be willing to fly to another country to see to be honest. For someone like Muse, the tickets are already expensive enough as it is, but again, that's just my point of view where I've seen them three times already, and it wouldn't be worth it, even for a special show. I might have felt differently about five years ago though. You can only answer how you feel yourself.

It all depends on you really. I've met people who travel all over the world to see the favourite bands, and it it's worth it for them, then great, but to me that would be insane. I'm not sure there's any band in the world that I'd be willing to fly to another country to see to be honest. For someone like Muse, the tickets are already expensive enough as it is, but again, that's just my point of view where I've seen them three times already, and it wouldn't be worth it, even for a special show. I might have felt differently about five years ago though. You can only answer how you feel yourself.

Lol I've already been to England to see them at Reading, but I combined that with seeing some of my friends there. So yes I'm willing to do crazy shit... but grand+ for just a gig is to the point of being ridiculous. Like, if it's a neighboring country like Sweden, I can deal with the travel, but mid-EU it's always a flight and those aren't cheap.

I’d love it. I’ve already travelled to France, Italy, Norn Iron and Scotland for gigs. Could end up going to Rock Am Ring this summer as well, depending on circumstances. Massive amounts of organisational anxiety aside, it’s my favourite thing to do. You’re combining travelling and seeing all these different countries/cities with seeing your favourite acts, potentially doing really special shows.

They won’t go beyond one-off gigs though. You can see how fucked Matt is after just one, let alone 5/6 over a week or two.

I’d love it. I’ve already travelled to France, Italy, Norn Iron and Scotland for gigs. Could end up going to Rock Am Ring this summer as well, depending on circumstances. Massive amounts of organisational anxiety aside, it’s my favourite thing to do. You’re combining travelling and seeing all these different countries/cities with seeing your favourite acts, potentially doing really special shows.

They won’t go beyond one-off gigs though. You can see how fucked Matt is after just one, let alone 5/6 over a week or two.

I feel like I should do it, or at least should've by now. I really wanted to see a Drones Tour show in Europe but wasn't sure of finding people to go with so stuck to doing one London night instead (and nearly another but couldn't do 14th and was convinced after Assassin and AP turned up that night that the following night wouldn't top it).

There's a few in Europe that I wanna do once more - not least given none of the UK festival line-ups jump out as a must see event. Maybe I should do the research a wee bit.

Hopefully it won't be like an ex-work colleague who flew up to see Green Day in Glasgow only for the show to be cancelled at the last minute. Or a guy I read about that flew from Australia to the USA to see Muse at Lollapalooza last year for all of three songs before a lightning storm cut the gig.

I notice Matt had a prompter for lyrics in front of him like Bernard Sumner.

Tbf I think Bono, Springsteen and Mick Jagger have used them. Might be more common than one thinks.

Still, if it helps these B-sides emerge a bit more often... I mean, its basically the high-tech version of acoustic singers having the lyrics/chords printed out and on stands at open mics.

Edited by forevermusic

I notice Matt had a prompter for lyrics in front of him like Bernard Sumner.

Did it at SBE as well, which was also used to tell them the set so no spoilers came out via paper ones.

I feel like I should do it, or at least should've by now. I really wanted to see a Drones Tour show in Europe but wasn't sure of finding people to go with so stuck to doing one London night instead (and nearly another but couldn't do 14th and was convinced after Assassin and AP turned up that night that the following night wouldn't top it).

There's a few in Europe that I wanna do once more - not least given none of the UK festival line-ups jump out as a must see event. Maybe I should do the research a wee bit.

I’d say only do it if it feels like something you reeeally wanna do, not just feel like you should at some point. Otherwise, idk, you might risk feeling like you totally wasted your money after seeing an average/mediocre set or two. My first abroad gig was the Eiffel Tower one I think, which was nowt special other than the setting really, but I had a great time anyway ‘cos the whole experience felt like an adventure and I’ve gotten that kick every time I’ve done it since as well.

I always go alone to gigs tbh. Two way sword - you don’t have to worry about looking after someone else or them killing your vibe if they have a shit time but you also don’t have anyone to share the memories with.

Did it at SBE as well, which was also used to tell them the set so no spoilers came out via paper ones.

I’d say only do it if it feels like something you reeeally wanna do, not just feel like you should at some point. Otherwise, idk, you might risk feeling like you totally wasted your money after seeing an average/mediocre set or two. My first abroad gig was the Eiffel Tower one I think, which was nowt special other than the setting really, but I had a great time anyway ‘cos the whole experience felt like an adventure and I’ve gotten that kick every time I’ve done it since as well.

I always go alone to gigs tbh. Two way sword - you don’t have to worry about looking after someone else or them killing your vibe if they have a shit time but you also don’t have anyone to share the memories with.

I thought the SBE thing was just set, no lyrics. Although I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that for last night, the paper setlist was floating around on Instagram before the show even began.

I don't really see it as an obligation, but I've been talking about the idea of doing it for years then not actually gone and done it. Indeed, a friend has pointed this out of late when discussed. :chuckle: So it might be worth a go. And yeah, even if the gig itself isn't the best, a good experience all round might well still worth it.

In general, do you think a by request-gig in Stockholm, Helsinki or maybe Oslo would be reasonable?

I thought the SBE thing was just set, no lyrics. Although I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that for last night, the paper setlist was floating around on Instagram before the show even began.

Can’t remember if it was outright confirmed or owt but I’d defo imagine it was for lyrics as well. Would explain how Matt instantly knew he fucked up that S4A line.

And ye, I saw the paper one for La Cigale, I just meant SBE. I think they should keep these gigs without paper sets though, does spoil any surprises.

In general, do you think a by request-gig in Stockholm, Helsinki or maybe Oslo would be reasonable?

Helsinki would be pretty dope, aye.

The US, Australia, Germany, Mexico, Italy and Japan come to mind too.

Edited by Jobby

Question: For those of you who don't live in mid-EU or UK, how unforgivable amounts of money would you pay for a special deep cuts-club gig, possibly by request, if the guys did a small tour of them? I would've loved to attend SBE or Paris, but as someone who lives in Finland, that would be so much money just for the trip, I just don't know if it's reasonable anymore.

If they did one in, say, Stockholm, I can get there on ferry from Turku for like 20€ and would gladly pay 200€ or more for a ticket(yes I'm an idiot). I did a bit of calculating and even if I flew from Paris back to Finland the same night as the gig was, it would still have probably been over 1000€ for the whole thing.

TL;DR: Please gib one in northern EU for your scandinavian, finnish and baltic fans.

Living in America. I would probably pay $1000 a ticket for something like that. Especially being that I live in the midwest. And the Drones club shows in America were like NYC and LA only. If they did a few shows around the US and threw in a Chicago show I'd make the 4 hour drive and pay thousands to see it.

Go to Rock im Park if you have a flight to Nuremberg or Munich or something near. I know you're from UK but it really is like 45 minutes difference and but the festival has less people and waaaay less drunken idiots than Rock am Ring. Atmosphere is night and day

Go to Rock im Park if you have a flight to Nuremberg or Munich or something near. I know you're from UK but it really is like 45 minutes difference and but the festival has less people and waaaay less drunken idiots than Rock am Ring. Atmosphere is night and day

Ah ok, like a Reading/Leeds difference? I’ll keep it in mind.

Question: For those of you who don't live in mid-EU or UK, how unforgivable amounts of money would you pay for a special deep cuts-club gig, possibly by request, if the guys did a small tour of them? I would've loved to attend SBE or Paris, but as someone who lives in Finland, that would be so much money just for the trip, I just don't know if it's reasonable anymore.

If they did one in, say, Stockholm, I can get there on ferry from Turku for like 20€ and would gladly pay 200€ or more for a ticket(yes I'm an idiot). I did a bit of calculating and even if I flew from Paris back to Finland the same night as the gig was, it would still have probably been over 1000€ for the whole thing.

TL;DR: Please gib one in northern EU for your scandinavian, finnish and baltic fans.

I've actually traveled and seen Muse now (although didn't travel just to see Muse and wouldn't have) and I would love to do the same to see a more special concert like this. But the shows are usually announced on a rather short notice and with travel being incredibly expensive and difficult to plan it's likely not a scenario where I can just get up and go.

Even with the money I don't know if I would do it all for a single night. I could follow the tour a bit but then that just adds more cost.

Yeah. Plus I'll probably go for the day ticket for RiP (unless they get announced for Rock Werchter) which makes it even better :$

I was hoping for Werchter but I think The Killers are outright headliners for Friday, which was the last slot to fill.

If a Muse/Killers co-headline was on offer I'd be very much in favour of heading across the Channel for that. Especially at a festival with Gorillaz, QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys as other headliners.

this +1

don't just travel and spend $$$$$ for a gig; use it as the "excuse" to also take a chance to explore and visit the country you just landed in or anything neighbouring

before I moved to Paris, in 2011 I was still living in Argentina, and Muse announced OoS to be played in its entirety at Reading and Leeds. I didn't hesitate for second, bought festival tickets, bought plane tickets and it was a shitload of money to be spent on just a festival, which btw, was well worth it, but what leave it at that ?

I made trips to Iceland, Norway and Finland that summer. That's how you should do these things IMO, as long as your wallet/work/school/schedule/life allows it.

Edited by errrick

I was hoping for Werchter but I think The Killers are outright headliners for Friday, which was the last slot to fill.

If a Muse/Killers co-headline was on offer I'd be very much in favour of heading across the Channel for that. Especially at a festival with Gorillaz, QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys as other headliners.

I'm probably just hoping way too much, but I think there's still a possibility they'll come on saturday... Although, with Pearl Jam as a headliner, chances are pretty much non-existent.

But I don't get it, last year Matt promised they'd be playing in Belgium 'very soon'. I don't know how his mind works (I wish I did!), but to me 9 months is not very soon... Especially when it's 9 months without Muse. And can't go to Germany or Lisbon because of my job, so hopefully they'll be announcing something soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Matt's said in a French interview that they're intending to do stadiums on the next tour.

Will have been a while since the last stadium dates by then tbf. Wonder if one date would be London Olympic Stadium given I seem to recall a previous comment about wanting to play there.

yeah london olympic stadium is a possibility but i would prefer a come back at wembley, 9 years after their last gig :)

Well this year, Rolling Stones, Jay-Z/Beyonce and Foo Fighters are doing it, plus I've heard some say Arctic Monkeys are playing there (although maybe not - hard to know what they're doing until they announce something). Its nice to see it get the use for something though, and given recent events, it looks a better use for concerts than as a home for West Ham.

I saw Depeche Mode at the Olympic Stadium last year. The sound wasn't great for The Horrors, but when DM came on, it sounded very good. The seats are a mile from the stage though.

A return to Wembley would be good too though for shows that big. But tbf having missed out on SBE and La Cigale, I'm more tempted to wait around in the hope of another request gig. Especially if they begin to do more of them.

Yeah and also you’ll be near Nuremberg which is a great city and not so far from Munich to go exploring

By the look of the map, the venue seems to be in Nuremberg itself, and relatively close to the main train station. Certainly, it looks a lot less of a pain in the arse to get to that the Nurburgring.

Speaking of RaR/RiP, when they announced the bill I thought 30 Seconds To Mars would be a co-headliner, rather than the actual arrangement of them outright and a Foo Fighters/Gorillaz co-headline. Didn't realise they were that big.