I'm not saying I would ask people not to vote for other rare songs. I'd like to hear any of those I mentioned. But I'm saying we should make an effort to get another unplayed song like SU into the forefronts of people's minds while they're voting. How else did EM and Easily make it?

Pretty sure Easily got its main boost from Matt saying he really hoped it got voted in before voting started tbh. And Eternally Missed was one of the few ultra rare songs in the initial list (before it got updated) and the obvious fan favourite of them, there wasn’t much if any talk about it beforehand iirc but it picked up votes almost out of a lack of other options. It ended up falling behind when the list got updated (barely) but I guess that initial boost in people’s minds was enough for it to make it at La Cigale.

Like I said, I think organisation did help SBE’s list stay 100% rare but I don’t remember there being any push for one specific song. There was just that compiled top 10 list on FB that a decent amount of people decided to follow but, even then, that was up to a totally fair vote. I doubt they’ll even leave enough time before the gig to organise something like that again though tbh.

Makes sense. But yeah as others mentioned I'd expect a US show to have more normal big Muse songs (CE, Bliss, Showbiz, MM etc) and less completely obscure b-sides.

So it makes an online effort even more necessary. If we can only pull out getting one mega rare hasn't been played in 20 years type of songs I'm thinking we all need to get behind one song and spam their twitter with it. Any ideas for another song from anyone else?

Makes sense. But yeah as others mentioned I'd expect a US show to have more normal big Muse songs (CE, Bliss, Showbiz, MM etc) and less completely obscure b-sides.

So it makes an online effort even more necessary. If we can only pull out getting one mega rare hasn't been played in 20 years type of songs I'm thinking we all need to get behind one song and spam their twitter with it. Any ideas for another song from anyone else?

But, again, if that’s what people vote for then...that’s the point? Those are still incredible songs and as rare in the US as just about anything that got picked at the EU shows, so I don’t see why an effort for one random obscure song is ‘necessary’ at all tbh. Showbiz alone hasn’t been played there since the tiny club gigs in 2000.

But why? All those songs are so long ago anyways they start to blend. Any reasonably big fan is still gonna look them up, probably get YouTube recommendations, go on Reddit where they can see discussions for everything and get the same updates we all do, get excited for the big request shows.

The time Muse started to grow in popularity here is getting further and further behind us. There's fans of legal age now who are as old as Shrinking Universe.

Why would we assume a fan that got into the band recently, due to recent singles, would - even upon listening to the older material - suddenly decide that the old rarities appeal to them more?

I think we tend to think our personal favorites are gospel, and they're really not.

I have gotten into plenty of bands and then not liked their earlier, more fan-acclaimed material in the slightest, and given a voting situation, wouldn't vote for old rare songs just because they're rare, or to make other fans happy.

I learned of Muse around 2007 when SMBH was put into FIFA but never really got into them other than songs like uprising, TIRO, until 2015 when I actually decided to go and listen to the band's full (studio) discography.

I ended up liking more of the older stuff than the newer stuff so I don't think it'd be too far fetched to think that other new fans from the US might do the same. Just a few days ago I made a list of songs that I would really want to hear live and only two of them (assassin and supremacy) were from bhar or newer

But, again, if that’s what people vote for then...that’s the point? Those are still incredible songs and as rare in the US as just about anything that got picked at the EU shows, so I don’t see why an effort for one random obscure song is ‘necessary’ at all tbh. Showbiz alone hasn’t been played there since the tiny club gigs in 2000.

To get another proshot out there of the type of song that's never been played live or never been proshot. For those that can't make the gig. I mean if it happens I'll be sparing no expense to go to the show being I live in the US. But the excitement from the Euro gigs for me was to finally get proshots of something like Glorious, Futurism etc.

To get another proshot out there of the type of song that's never been played live or never been proshot. For those that can't make the gig. I mean if it happens I'll be sparing no expense to go to the show being I live in the US. But the excitement from the Euro gigs for me was to finally get proshots of something like Glorious, Futurism etc.

But a gig like that is predominantly for the people there, hence why they vote for what makes the top 10 and not everyone around the world. Why should they exclude a vote for a song they themselves wanna see just so that people who aren’t there get a new pro shot?

I seem to recall someone saying on here they saw Muse in New Mexico on The Resistance tour and some people in the GA line were mainly playing old B-sides as their psyche-up. Sure, I imagine that the crowd for pre-06 material isn't the same as it is in Europe, but I still imagine a hardcore gig will have people voting for pre-Black Holes rarities for a US request gig.

Equally, my assumption is some rarer tracks from the post-06 era might be likely to appear. Not that I'd object too much if the choice is stuff like MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection, Supremacy or Animals (or hell, even Reapers).

• 3 weeks later...

Big, main tour dates usually get announced about 5-7 months beforehand, around the time the album details (title, maybe pre-orders etc.) get released, which itself is usually around 3-4 months before it comes out.

Sooo, in theory, we probably should’ve got all that this month :chuckle:

Drones was a wee exception though, with its tour getting announced a smidge later (just after the Psycho Tour finished and Dead Inside was released, 2 months before release). So, if they’re planning to do another small tour at the start of this cycle, they could do the same here and still have that 5-7 month window timed for spring.

• 4 weeks later...