• OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Resistance is by far my favorite Muse album, not only because it was my first Muse album [as well as basically my first modern (post radio "classic rock") rock album], but because I sincerely find every song awesome.

--Uprising: great anthem, sweet synth bass, even if it is simple, love the verses and the guitar towards the end.

--Resistance: interesting intro, fun and catchy pre-chorus, great uplifting chorus, and interesting outro.

--Undisclosed Desires: really unique blend of synth-strings and r&b bass and drums plus some really cool vocal parts.

--USOE/CD: one of my favorite Muse songs of all time, crazy mellow and awesome intro, Queen imitation (not a bad imitation either) vocals which I love (favorite band is Queen), sick Arabian strings, and explosive climax leading into a perfectly chill classical piano ballad.

--Guiding Light: what a perfect intro into the song, jet engine sounds leading right into that Supermassive bass drum and snare pattern, synth blast is so eighties but still so good, fine vocals, fine clear bass, great Brian May imitation solo (once again a good imitation), love it.

--US: have begun loving it a little less over a long period of time in comparison to earlier lengthy rockers, but still rock's my socks off with a great riff, awesome anthemic lyrics, sick breakdown section, and the rest.

--MKU: didn't immediately recognize the awesomeness, but now I see what an awesome song it is, awesome digital guitar sound, great vocals, plenty rocking enough, and sweet string section breakdown interludes.

--IBTY: love it for all it's adventurous silliness, has a great French vibe to it (fittingly considering the little classical piece in the middle), love the ballad middle section, and the bass clarinet solo brings ultimate giggle factor.

--Exogenesis: sadly I didn't realize the sheer awesomeness of the symphony tacked on the end for quite a while as I just didn't understand what I was listening for. Once I tuned in to the right details though, I realized, albeit gradually, piece by piece, how epic this is, possibly the grandest most impressive accomplishment of Muse's career. Love to death, probably in my top ten, and yes, it should be regarded as one piece with three parts (the video to Redemption almost brought me to tears when I saw it btw, began my journey towards realizing the epicness of Exogenesis).

Certainly I've said enough here, but I love the other albums, too, just not quite as much.

1. TR

2. OoS

3/4. Abso/BH&R

5. T2L

6. Showbiz

I fell in love with the band with BH&R, and I still think that it's their best album. Sonically diverse, cohesive, and with some of their best songs.

Knighs of Cydonia (dat riff :ohmy:), Hoodoo (the ending of the song, the lyrics...), Supermassive Black Hole (sexy and hot song, danceable and a live monster), Take a Bow (best climax in a Muse song ever, gives me chills everytime I hear it), Assassin (heavy as fuck), Invincible (I don't get the hate of this song, the solo is wonderful, it's a nice stadium song, they could replace Guiding Light with Invincible and I would be veeery happy), Map of the Problematique (Muse meets Depeche Mode in a great way)... You get my point :LOL:

Okey, it's my favourite album ever, I will stop being such an irrational fanboy :LOL:

5/5 Stars-

1. Absolution

2. Origin of Symmetry

3. The Resistance

4. Black Holes and Revelations

3.5/5 Stars-

5. The 2nd Law

6. Showbiz

Absolution, OOS and TR have pretty much always been perfect for me. I love them for completely different reasons too. BH&R is the one album that has grown on me the most, I used to dislike the entire middle section of the album (Soldier's Poem - Exo-Politics) but after not listening to those songs for a while I really started to dig those songs last year and i've come around to putting the album up there with the other three. Plus I feel like BH&R has the strongest final two tracks COLLECTIVELY on any of there studio albums, that combo of course being Hoodoo and Knights of Cydonia.

The 2nd Law and Showbiz are very mixed bags for me, I think Showbiz works better as an album but the songs overall are weaker individually than the songs on The 2nd Law (for the most part). For my money The 2nd Law was very similar to Black Holes and Revelations in the aspect that it tried to sound like an album but the 2nd laws songs just didn't flow well much at all so it could never work as an album but instead just simply as a collection of songs. While BH&R def works more as an album even though all of the songs sound vastly different. Though the lyrical references to Mars do connect there songs more together lyrically anyways.

And for the record (pardon the pun) so far I'm totally in love with all three songs we've heard from Drones. Best first 3 songs Muse have had from a new album in my mind since Absolution. Scary thought but good scary.

Absolution.

The Resistance (specifically Undisclosed Desires and Guiding Light) made me buy a ticket to see them on The Resistance tour. Heard a Ruled By Secrecy at the concert and was pretty much blown away. Pretty much like that for every other song on Absolution (particularly Sing for Absolution, Falling Away with You, and Stockholm Syndrome).

BH&R for me.

I discovered Muse with the HAARP concert in 2010 and was utterly blown away. My wife's brother happened to have BH&R and I just went nuts for that album. Only songs I don't care for are Exo-Politics (never gotten into that one) and Invincible (not bad but just not up to par with thr rest of the album imo). The rest though are just great songs - Hoodoo is phenomenal and Starlight, SBH, MotP, Assassin (especially GOB edit), CoD are great great songs. I like Soldiers Poem alot too, but I'll admit it seems off because of it's placement between MotP and Invincible.

But then TaB and KoC are just absolute monsters. The only comparable experience to when I heard KoC for the first time was when I heard Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time - I was dumbfounded as to how someone came up with music that good.

My full order would go like this:

1. BH&R

2. OoS - right there with BH&R. The second half of the album is a bit weaker than the unreal first half imo, and not including Futurism brings it down a few pegs.

3. Absolution - Some great songs, but they honestly included too many songs on the album. SfA, FAwY, Blackout and RbS are all too similar - it will be unpopular to say but only 2 of the 4 should be included and imo SfA and FAwY should have been cut. And I know people like these songs, but Small Print and ToaDA just aren't as strong as the other songs and should also have been cut. Oh and not including Fury is a crime.

4. The Resistance - Has some great songs on it (Uprising, UD, USoE, UN, MK Ultra) and the Exogenesis Symphony is mind-bogglingly good. Resistance (song) is meh but songs like Guiding Light and IBTY are just crap and really bring the album down.

5. Showbiz - Some great songs (Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Showbiz, Unintended) and some really weak ones.

6. The 2nd Law - Can we all just pretend this album never happened? Please???

I don't think I could knock an album for not including certain songs. Sure, Absolution would've been better with Fury, but the fact that it isn't on there doesn't make the album as it is worse.

As a side note, BHAR is starting to rival OOS for me and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Absolution is a perfect 10 for me. And it's not too long. If anything, they could have included all the B-sides and run a double album (maybe something like this?):

—side 1--

Intro

Apocalypse Please

Time is Running Out

Eternally Missed

Stockholm Syndrome

Falling Away with You

Interlude

Hysteria

Blackout

—side 2—

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Sing for Absolution

The Small Print

Fury

The Groove

Endlessly

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Ruled By Secrecy

and I would have been more than over the moon with it.

Abso >> OOS for me, because I think the Screenager, Darkshines, Feeling Good combo is a bit of an obvious dip in quality (or maybe just a departure) in terms of the album as a whole. Abso manages to keep it up the whole way through, it packs its punches quite consistently.

In terms of consistent song quality, Absolution is hands down the best imo, but there's just something about it the mix/master that makes it feel a bit cold or lifeless to me. The overall sound of the album seems less unique than OOS or BHAR to me as well so it doesn't feel as special.

Though I will admit Endlessly is <3

In terms of consistent song quality, Absolution is hands down the best imo, but there's just something about it the mix/master that makes it feel a bit cold or lifeless to me. The overall sound of the album seems less unique than OOS or BHAR to me as well so it doesn't feel as special.

Though I will admit Endlessly is <3

Wow, you pretty much pegged my exact feelings about Abso which I've been trying to determine for going on two years now. It's mind-boggling consistent, and the track order is an A+ job, but there's just some kind of sonic quality missing in there that the rest of the post-Showbiz albums seem to have (yeah, even T2L). Kind of a speciality to the sound that Abso lost somewhere in the mixing. On a bad day, it might sound about as sonically desolate as the rocky terrain on its cover. BHAR has a much more unique sound, even if it is ironically kind of commercial, OoS is in a realm of its own sound-wise, TR has the whole emphasis on electronic/symphonic soundscape going for it and it manages to have lots of really different songs, and T2L...well, certainly most every noise on there is an emulation of some other artist, but it all has this really futuristic coolness to it, despite the shortcomings of the songwriting. This is why I was initially mixed about Abso. (I agree also that Endlessly is <3 :D )

Absolution is a perfect 10 for me. And it's not too long. If anything, they could have included all the B-sides and run a double album (maybe something like this?):

—side 1--

Intro

Apocalypse Please

Time is Running Out

Eternally Missed

Stockholm Syndrome

Falling Away with You

Interlude

Hysteria

Blackout

—side 2—

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Sing for Absolution

The Small Print

Fury

The Groove

Endlessly

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Ruled By Secrecy

and I would have been more than over the moon with it.

Abso >> OOS for me, because I think the Screenager, Darkshines, Feeling Good combo is a bit of an obvious dip in quality (or maybe just a departure) in terms of the album as a whole. Abso manages to keep it up the whole way through, it packs its punches quite consistently.

That sounds pretty awesome, but the vinyl format of Abso was already a double album last time I checked. I suppose one could still cram the extra songs onto two records, but it might get a bit too compressed (and I'm assuming you mean disc one and disc two rather than side one and side two; it would be fairly impossible to fit all of that music onto one disc without having a pretty poor sounding record).

In terms of consistent song quality, Absolution is hands down the best imo, but there's just something about it the mix/master that makes it feel a bit cold or lifeless to me.

Wow, you pretty much pegged my exact feelings about Abso which I've been trying to determine for going on two years now.

Completely agree. I've always wanted to say this about absolution but I've never understood why it comes across cold/lifeless. I don't think its intentional to fit with the context of the album either, but who knows? Perhaps..

Archived