1. 1. Best Album

• Showbiz
    • OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

I'm assuming you mean disc one and disc two rather than side one and side two; it would be fairly impossible to fit all of that music onto one disc without having a pretty poor sounding record).

This, cheers.

You've definitely got a point about the mixing, I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Didn't Rich Costey mix both Abso and BH&R though? It's kinda odd how one sounds a lot better than the other if so

This, cheers.

You've definitely got a point about the mixing, I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Didn't Rich Costey mix both Abso and BH&R though? It's kinda odd how one sounds a lot better than the other if so

One sounds a lot better than the other?

It really isn't odd at all anyway. They're different albums, and they might have just wanted another sound on BH&R. Or maybe Rich just learned from his mistakes. Also there were several people involved in the mixing of BH&R. (And it might as well be a mastering issue btw)

This, cheers.

I think it's the mastering where Absolution sounds better, not the mixing.

Abso doesn't really sound that better.

I've never really had a problem with the sound quality of BHAR, I was just correcting him that it was the mastering that made it sound worse (according to some people) and not the mixing.

All the instruments in Abso just kinda fight amongst themselves in a way I don't hear in BH&R. Unlike OoS where everything is going full blast but seems to fit in its place it makes Abso in turn not that interesting to listen to. It's still my favorite album but I haven't actually heard the songs in ages, mainly sticking to live performances. The instrumentation and arrangements are top notch though and they really stand out on the softer trakcs.

:)

What?

I've never really had a problem with the sound quality of BHAR, I was just correcting him that it was the mastering that made it sound worse (according to some people) and not the mixing.

I wasn't directly addressing your post, more talking in general.

All the instruments in Abso just kinda fight amongst themselves in a way I don't hear in BH&R. Unlike OoS where everything is going full blast but seems to fit in its place it makes Abso in turn not that interesting to listen to. It's still my favorite album but I haven't actually heard the songs in ages, mainly sticking to live performances. The instrumentation and arrangements are top notch though and they really stand out on the softer trakcs.

Yeah.

The guy that says could care less is making fun of your English.

There's nothing wrong with saying 'I could care less'. On the one side you might have someone saying, 'I really couldn't care less about Matt Bellamy's hair'. On the other you might have someone saying, 'OMG Matt's hair! The feels! I could care so much less about his hair than I currently do... Oh man, I wish I could care less than I do.'

So next time you see JJ-the-Muse claiming that they 'could care less' about something, just remember that they are overcome with emotion for it, in fear of rejection, and in need of your love and understanding at this difficult time.

No, "could care less" is used stateside all the time and doesn't make a lick of sense in the context they use it. If you could care less about something, then that means you care about it.

I've also heard it said that some people in the USA struggle to tell when someone is not being fully serious. Is this true?

There's nothing wrong with saying 'I could care less'. On the one side you might have someone saying, 'I really couldn't care less about Matt Bellamy's hair'. On the other you might have someone saying, 'OMG Matt's hair! The feels! I could care so much less about his hair than I currently do... Oh man, I wish I could care less than I do.'

So next time you see JJ-the-Muse claiming that they 'could care less' about something, just remember that they are overcome with emotion for it, in fear of rejection, and in need of your love and understanding at this difficult time.

The thing about people claiming it's sarcastic is that it lacks any sort of tone or hint that it wouldn't be serious. I mean you can have the "ooooh I care soooo much" which is both an obvious exaggeration and has a clear sarcastic tone. I could care less is quite obviously just a misheard expression that caught on, and then people try to justify its usage AFTER it's been pointed out. If that's really the meaning of it, why not just say "I care sooo much" which actually makes sense.

Although JJ has already given a different explanation which makes even less sense. And I say that as someone who definitely focuses on descriptive grammar.

The thing about people claiming it's sarcastic is that it lacks any sort of tone or hint that it wouldn't be serious. I mean you can have the "ooooh I care soooo much" which is both an obvious exaggeration and has a clear sarcastic tone. I could care less is quite obviously just a misheard expression that caught on, and then people try to justify its usage AFTER it's been pointed out. If that's really the meaning of it, why not just say "I care sooo much" which actually makes sense.

Although JJ has already given a different explanation which makes even less sense. And I say that as someone who definitely focuses on descriptive grammar.

Claiming what is sarcastic? My post or the usage of that phrase? I wouldn't say either is exactly sarcastic, myself!

If my post, then I'd have thought that the second paragraph's extension of my definition in order to subvert the subject's intended usage of the nonsensical phrase (reacting to them as though they do indeed care a lot) would fairly obviously indicate that I was taking the phrase literally for comic effect! Kind of loses the fun when you have to explain everything. If you need more explanation, then I do not believe in that overly-generalising cliche regarding American humour. Indeed, I take it that Con101 is probably not from stateside by their use of 'they', which (if correct) would make the application of a generalising US cliche to him gently undercut or at least complicate that same cliche (and his implied 'us' and 'them'). And the use of the meme harks back to that while further applying that above cliche to me too, to extend that in a more self-deprecating way. It's rare that I say anything seriously and without a degree of self-aware wryness. Even my criticisms these days are light and are rarely barbed! It's very boring having to state this. Maybe I should add footnotes to my posts? Anyway, I'm off to do some work and enjoy the sunshine!

You are also someone who educated me on the difference between i.e. and e.g. which I have already forgotten by now due to my American ways :LOL:

Essentially the "I couldn't" and the "I could" care less variants are both used interchangeably, it all depends really one where you're from in the US although I couldn't tell you where people say each. A lot of things don't really make much sense in a lot of languages but are understood anyways since they're colloquialisms.

What?

:)

I highlighted that excerpt from Tjet's post because he forgot the subject "he" and "that" should be "who". :)

Archived