• Drones

Absolution for me...without question

That album has pretty much everything.

The big hits - Time is Running Out, Hysteria

Beautiful ballads - Sing for Absolution, Blackout, Falling Away with You

Heavy rockers - Stockholm Syndrome, The Small Print

Atmospheric piano pieces - Apocalypse Please, Ruled by Secrecy

All of the above - Butterflies and Hurricanes

Origin of Symmetry gets an honourable mention but it lacks cohesiveness and sustained intensity compared to its successor. Their other albums contain numerous great songs in varying measures but nothing touches the start-to-finish gestalt of Absolution.

Absolution for me...without question

That album has pretty much everything.

The big hits - Time is Running Out, Hysteria

Beautiful ballads - Sing for Absolution, Blackout, Falling Away with You

Heavy rockers - Stockholm Syndrome, The Small Print

Atmospheric piano pieces - Apocalypse Please, Ruled by Secrecy

All of the above - Butterflies and Hurricanes

Origin of Symmetry gets an honourable mention but it lacks cohesiveness and sustained intensity compared to its successor. Their other albums contain numerous great songs in varying measures but nothing touches the start-to-finish gestalt of Absolution.

Praising abso but putting down OoS for lack of cohesiveness. Oh the irony.

Praising abso but putting down OoS for lack of cohesiveness. Oh the irony.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to put OoS down. It's still a phenomenal album. For me, it just starts to run out of steam a little over the final third. Absolution does as well to some extent but it manages to keep its head up higher, in my opinion. Butterflies & Hurricanes and Ruled by Secrecy are two of my favourite Muse songs. Now if you're only looking at the first two-thirds or so of each album, I might give the edge to OoS. That's quite the epic run of tracks on each album,

I know that explanation seems vague. I just think that, taken as a whole, Absolution is a deeper piece of work. I have no argument with people who would pick OoS though.

After much deliberation

1. Origin of symmetry

2. Absolution

3. BHAR

4. The 2nd law

5. Showbiz

6. The resistance

Origin is the best in my opinion then absolution. BHAR as a couple of tracks don't work for me. Then the 2nd law as the highs are really high but the lows are really low. Showbiz is next great songs but it isn't polished enough and I prefer matt's voice more now. And the resistance last as it kind of sucks!

• 3 months later...

The first 8 tracks on Origin Of symmetry are like the best first 8 tracks on an album ever. So..... Origin Of Symmetry. Plus every song flows so well into the next: that Hyper Music - Plug In Baby - Citizen Erased - Micro Cuts transition is amazing. Not a bad song in sight.

Surely the first nine on Origin? Unless you hate Darkshines (if so, get out).

My brain says Absolution, but my heart says Origin. If BH&R was stripped of all the dross, it'd be right in the mix too.

Darkshines is track 9 though, and every track is amazing. I don't actually mind Feeling Good, but Megalomania is their best closer, alongside Ruled By Secrecy, but Origin Of Symmetry flows so much better than Absolution.

1. Origin Of Symmetry

2. Absolution

3. Black Holes And Revelations

4. The 2nd Law

5. The Resistance

6. Showbiz

Darkshines is track 9 though, and every track is amazing.

Still don't quite get the point you're making, but okay.

Showbiz last? Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Showbiz and Hate This & I'll Love You easily puts it ahead of The Resistance and The 2nd Law for me.

Still don't quite get the point you're making, but okay.

Showbiz last? Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Showbiz and Hate This & I'll Love You easily puts it ahead of The Resistance and The 2nd Law for me.

But at the moment I am in love with United States Of Eurasia, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, Exogenesis Symphony etc. Plus I think that The 2nd Law flows rather well, but there's just something I like about the album. Maybe it's because I first saw them on this tour, but man, I remember my first time watching The 2nd Law Trailer as if it were yesterday. It was epic! Yeah, Showbiz has like my favourite Muse song ever, but I just think it slightly falls behind the other albums. Not far behind though.

Fair enough.

TR and T2L both suffer, for me, from simply not packing enough good songs. I prefer listening to music in album context than randomly so sone of my favourite standalone tracks - MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection, Exogenesis, Supremacy, Survival, Animals - I rarely hear these days.

Sorry I always misread stuff. I meant the first seven tracks, not first eight, although the first nine tracks flow really well too. Plus Feeling Good, which I do t get all the the for, and Megalomania. Now I've made my point (and not misread anything.)

Sorry I always misread stuff. I meant the first seven tracks, not first eight, although the first nine tracks flow really well too. Plus Feeling Good, which I do t get all the the for, and Megalomania. Now I've made my point (and not misread anything.)

Uh, what was your point again? I don't understand that. Origin is your favourite album, and you like the first 7 songs the most?

Uh, what was your point again? I don't understand that. Origin is your favourite album, and you like the first 7 songs the most?

The first 7 songs are outstanding, as are Screenager and Darkshines, and I don't understand why people hate Feeling Good. Plus Megalomania. So 11 great songs. A fantastic album.

Archived