1. 1. Best Album

• Showbiz
    • OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

It just came across as the first seven are great, so are eight and nine, ten's great even though it gets slated, and wouldn't you just know it - eleven is great too.

Good point, (eventually) well made :LOL:. Origin is ace :D.

Might even give it a spin for the first time in ages tonight. I've barely listened to Muse the past year or so.

Pretty clear that the consensus is Origin & Absolution are the best albums. Not really debatable. BH&R and the subsequent 2 albums represent the sell-out period. It doesn't mean that there aren't a few "artsy" tracks on those 3 albums, but 80% it just commercial drivel.

The first 8 tracks on Origin Of symmetry are like the best first 8 tracks on an album ever. So..... Origin Of Symmetry. Plus every song flows so well into the next: that Hyper Music - Plug In Baby - Citizen Erased - Micro Cuts transition is amazing. Not a bad song in sight.

I'm in agreement. New Born --> Screenager is 8 songs of consecutive brilliance. Muse never managed to replicate the feat on Absolution and not even close on the 3 sell-out albums.

Pretty clear that the consensus is Origin & Absolution are the best albums. Not really debatable. BH&R and the subsequent 2 albums represent the sell-out period. It doesn't mean that there aren't a few "artsy" tracks on those 3 albums, but 80% it just commercial drivel.

:rolleyes: Absolution is one of Muse's most commercially accessible, if not the most. And that "not really debatable" bit is actually drivel.

Let's go through TR:

Uprising: yep

Resistance: Well...it has a catchy chorus, but it's really not commercially liable these days. The only reason it even charted was because it was Muse.

Undisclosed Desires: Sure.

USOE: lol no

Guiding Light: lol no. Just because it's cheesy drivel, that doesn't mean it's anywhere near what's popular these days. It's clearly not a song written for the sake of selling records.

Unnatural Selection: lol nah

MK Ultra: eh

I Belong To You: It has a bit of a Maroon 5 vibe to it, but with a french opera copy pasted into the middle of it, no.

Exogenesis: Do I even have to?

3/11, such a sellout album.

But as I've said a million times before, making pop doesn't equal selling out. Making pop could be a good way to "sell out", yes. But guess what? PEOPLE LIKE POP. Since it's clearly the genre most people prefer to listen to, is it really so hard to believe that it's also a genre people want to WRITE? If there are so many fans of it, why can't some of these fans be songwriters?

The idea that the only reason anyone makes pop is to earn cash is so ridiculously idiotic.

Another ridiculous thing is that apparently writing rock is never selling out.

Like bands who experiment with new things and no one likes it, so they go back to what the fans want because that way they can be sure the album will sell.

No one ever calls that selling out.

• 1 month later...

Three groups of Muse albums for me, even though I give TR and BHR 5/5 stars they aren't quite to the level of Absolution and OOS, Just no way I can give those albums less than 5/5 haha. I don't understand all of the hate for TR, first time I heard it it blew my mind more than any muse album after a first listen. That's not to say it was my favorite after the first listen just sonically it was amazing to hear once all the way through for the first time.

1. Absolution 5/5

2. Origin of Symmetry 5/5

3. The Resistance 5/5

4. Black Holes and Revelation's 5/5

5. The 2nd Law 3.5/5

6. Showbiz 3.5/5

• 2 months later...

From a "sentimental" point of view, I'd pick Black Holes And Revelations: it's the very first Muse' album I've ever owned (since Christmas 2006), and that has kindled my interest in them. :')

But taking in account my personal musical tastes, I'd say my favourite Muse' album could be... No one. Because, more or less, they all have their ups and downs, many songs in particular that catch me and make me feel wonderful sensations, or I find simply stunning and massive in matter of arrangements, melodies, musical artifacts and such. To be honest, I think the downs are miserably few, thus I adore pratically all their whole production.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived