Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

[My first concern is lyrics. I know it's distasteful to say they're wrong, as they're obviously such an intimate piece of work for their author, but I think this were Matt has gone downhill the most. I don't mind lyrics being politically influenced at all, but I hate when they feel preaching. I hate the idea of Muse crowds, perhaps consisting more and more of twilight fans, chanting Matt's political views, without even thinking if they agree with them or not.

I came back to this after thinking about it this morning. Why do you consider Matt's lyrics "preaching"?

To me it seems he is one of a very few with a public voice who challenges the capitalist hegemony. It needs challenging because it is hugely powerful and I guess, the majority of the young people you talk about will be totally unaware of it. He presents a political view which is largely crushed because it doesn't suit those in big business and I think that's great. I think his lyrics will simply encourage people to check out what the hell he's on about so that they can either agree or disagree, but at least have the opportunity to be better informed, rather than the current alternative of a being brainwashed through receiving a narrow presentation of information where nothing steers very far from the centre ground.

And If young people are going to blindly repeat lyrics without researching the background to them, I can't see why that matters. What difference does it make if they are singing Uprising as opposed to Space Dementia for example?

YES!!!

Good thing it wasn't just me who thought so. Guess I'm not going crazy :LOL:

I can kind of see it actually :chuckle:

You're the one that I want ooo ooo ooo! Maybe it's a conspiracy to spread the Bellamy hegemony to the eighties generation! :LOL:

I heard it too. There was a bit of a discussion about it in one of the other threads a while ago... and somebody said one of the other songs sounds like Grease too.

Grease could be the new Radiohead. :rolleyes:

Who would have thought that Grease could be an inspiration for rock music?! Guess Matt's a closeted 70s/80s musicals fan ;):LOL:

You're the one that I want ooo ooo ooo! Maybe it's a conspiracy to spread the Bellamy hegemony to the eighties generation! :LOL:

It was actually the song Summer Nights that I was referring to. The part where they go "Tell me more, tell me more" reminds me of the "They could be wrong, could be wrong" part :LOL:

And is it just me or does Guiding Light sound like an 80s power ballad??? Sounds good nonetheless! :D

I'm not sure about how you first discovered Muse, but how quickly did any of the 'classics' grab you?

Have you been drawn in by any of the new songs in the same way?

I'm just saying, is that so far, after listening to the first two songs and the previews, that is a lot of people are underwhelmed.

Yes a lot of people are unhappy (including me) ,but look at the votes that have been cast for the songs that have been 'Released'

It's going between 70-80% approval...

A majority of Muse fans seem to be happy with what's has been currently released

Look, let's not fight about it for now. Let's just wait until the Album is released on the 14th September, Then have a massive bitch about it... OK? ;)

The two reviews so far are 4/5 from mojo, the best review ever from those guys, and Q has called it a masterpiece. I think that it will be amazing. A lot of the songs have big changes - i.e unnatural selection, meant to be system of a down kind of heavy, with huge, crazy riffs.

The two reviews so far are 4/5 from mojo, the best review ever from those guys, and Q has called it a masterpiece. I think that it will be amazing. A lot of the songs have big changes - i.e unnatural selection, meant to be system of a down kind of heavy, with huge, crazy riffs.

Yeah, it seems like the fans are being far more critical than the critics! I wonder what the press who've heard the whole album would say about it if they had only heard the 30 second clips.

Personally, I'm excited! (Except for UD...) :erm:

Yeah, it seems like the fans are being far more critical than the critics! I wonder what the press who've heard the whole album would say about it if they had only heard the 30 second clips.

Personally, I'm excited! (Except for UD...) :erm:

Definately!

You really can't judge by these clips. As someone said - Past itunes previews..

No Plug in Baby Riff

New Born is a piano song only

No Knights of Cydonia Riff

Hoodoo only the guitar at the start

and theres a few more

Definately!

You really can't judge by these clips. As someone said - Past itunes previews..

No Plug in Baby Riff

New Born is a piano song only

No Knights of Cydonia Riff

Hoodoo only the guitar at the start

and theres a few more

omg!

thats one of the most reassuring posts i've seen..

the plug in baby sample on itunes, if i was hearing it for the first time sounds relatively boring :eek:

:D

I liked what my friend said on AIM, so I thought I'd put it up here. Name has been redacted, obv.

Anonymous (11:05:41 AM): they're in the same financial position a lot of bands are in right now

Anonymous (11:05:56 AM): touring a lot, selling a fair amount...but not enough to really register

Anonymous (11:06:39 AM): Muse will continue to grow and gain a bigger following though

Anonymous (11:07:02 AM): because they're taking big steps to destroying whatever complexity that might have characterized them on their early work

Anonymous (11:07:21 AM): and before you know it they're going to sound exactly the same as everyone else

Anonymous (11:08:20 AM): it’s something even critics don't realize

Anonymous (11:08:25 AM): for the most part

Anonymous (11:08:32 AM): for a band to get popular

Anonymous (11:08:41 AM): I mean seriously now

Anonymous (11:08:51 AM): to get to the point where a band can become a household name

Anonymous (11:09:07 AM): you have to SQUEEZE all the grit and quirk out of them

Anonymous (11:09:19 AM): so that they're nice and polished and ready for airplay

KHFREEK (11:09:20 AM): Kings of Leon = perfect example

Anonymous (11:09:23 AM): yep

Anonymous (11:09:26 AM): absolutely perfect example

Anonymous (11:09:40 AM): it’s a freakin' social and corporate phenomenon

Anonymous (11:09:46 AM): and it’s why I hate the music industry

Anonymous (11:09:53 AM): more than almost anything

Anonymous (11:09:58 AM): because I've seen what they do to bands

Anonymous (11:10:04 AM): who aspire to reach listeners

Anonymous (11:10:32 AM): and they're near solely responsible for why nobody I know in real life

Anonymous (11:10:40 AM): has any taste in music whatsoever

I just like the fact so many people out there assume Origin and Absolution are a reflection of the real Muse and that BH&R and The Resistance are the band 'selling out' or trying to reach the mainstream audience. At the end of the day you don't really know what the band wants to achieve. Just because their earlier material was heavier or wasn't as mainstream, doesn't mean it was the band doing what they wanted, artistically.

How about Showbiz was the band just getting some material out there, trying to make a name for themselves. Origin of Symmetry was the band under pressure, trying to prove to critics they're not Radiohead sound-alikes. Absolution was a fan pleaser after the high praise of OoS, and finally BH&R, and now The Resistance, was the band finally being able to express and write for themselves, without having to worry about pressure from anyone else.

It's just another assumption I know, but thats the point. As soon as somebody stops liking something, or thinks it's too mainstream, it's always the assumption that the band are 'selling out' or the like. I like to 'assume' that the more pop-rock side to Muse is the band just enjoying what they do and having a laugh while they do it. Creating music that is a true reflection of the band.

* Edit - Yes, i'm well aware I make some rubbish contributions to threads and this may well be one of those lol.

Raiko,

I think that's one of the most intelligent ways of analysing who Muse are as opposed to who people think they are, or who they think they should be.

Remember, they have confessed that they think this is their most accomplished and emphatic album so far; check out some of the latest magazine interviews.

The fact that Muse seems to want to appeal to as many fans as possible, and they love playing stadiums so much, does indicate a possibility that they could eventually "sell out." To become as bis as they seem to want to, they obviously have to find a way to appeal to as many people as as they can. I think there's a very fine line between creating the music they want to as a band, and achieving the commercial success necessary to fill stadiums in places where they're not already, particularly the U.S. If they want to conquer America and play stadiums here, I hope they can do it without sacrificing their creativity and all the things that make them Muse. Coldplay and U2 are examples of bands that sell out stadiums in the states, and they are household names. I like Coldplay, but I don't think they have that special, unique quality that Muse have. I hope Muse don't ever start sounding generic just in order to become a household name. From what we've heard of The Resistance so far, I don't think it's happened yet, even if some of the songs could be considered "pop." I'm really interested to see how the U.S. responds to the album.

I guess I'm rambling, and maybe this doesn't even fit on this thread, but Raiko's post just made me start thinking about it. :erm:

I just heard Uprising on the radio and it really is incredible. I hadn't listened in a while so I'd forgotten.

And to KHFreek. There are two aspects to music, the emotional response, and the intellectual response (which is stimulated by the quirkiness you mentioned). The masses tend to favour songs with an emotional focus rather than intellectual, and I agree that Uprising and USoE fit the bill.

However, Showbiz was also a record which focused on the emotional rather than intellectual response, as well as songs like Hysteria, TIRO, SS, Plug in Baby, and Bliss which people here love.

I am going to try and be civil with this one.

I am sick to deaf of people moaning and saying "Where's the guitar riffs, the energy, the OoS-ness?". Sure moan away about other aspects of the album, that is when it is released, but please, do not moan about the boys taking a new direction. After all, (and after a few listens) we can all conclude this album is shaping up to be very different from the others in the catalogue.

I am by no means saying that I do not have a few fears for TR, only after many listens is the album as whole is growing on me. I can appreciate the effort put into this album, and I love it when bands whole-heartedly try out new directions. So for that reason I really don't want to see any more people moaning about this new sound. And yes the lyrics aren't amazing, but (aside from Fury) when have they ever been? Let's wait shall we? 25 days, and then moan all you like, you never no, I may join you, I may not.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though, and that was mine.

I have always said muse in their album output have never put a foot wrong yet. They have truly been consistant they had a musical identity that was their own

I was worried during the first listen of BHAR a great album but just not as good as the previous on first listen thought it sounded like left overs from absloution sessions jazzed up and packaged quickly with no special deluxe edition in release

now this latest offering from the lads is a experimental electronic dance pop rock mixed with classical symphony, I have only heard releases and 30sec previews so cant get a full opinion or the product, but I feel aprehensive, no bsides except that crap streets charity release that was on free download.Muse b sides are like a big part of their exclusive high standard identity, in the groove, in your world etc... brilliance...Iknow refrences hendrix and bach

but noone can excuse why there is a massive queen refrence, its terrible throwaway makes me feel cheated, muse could have did the album without this wantin refrencing of tacky glam stadium pop rock

The elephant in the room: The thread starter is a cock.

I really hope you enjoy the album now - you look really dim mouthing off about an album you've not heard yet with such smug confidence.

Everyone shat theirselves when Supermassive came out and it turned out to be a brilliant album, everyone shat theirselves to a lesser extent when Time Is Running Out came out and it turned out to be a brilliant album - shut up and stop shitting, clean your undies, and get ready for an ace album.

I came back to this after thinking about it this morning. Why do you consider Matt's lyrics "preaching"?

To me it seems he is one of a very few with a public voice who challenges the capitalist hegemony. It needs challenging because it is hugely powerful and I guess, the majority of the young people you talk about will be totally unaware of it. He presents a political view which is largely crushed because it doesn't suit those in big business and I think that's great. I think his lyrics will simply encourage people to check out what the hell he's on about so that they can either agree or disagree, but at least have the opportunity to be better informed, rather than the current alternative of a being brainwashed through receiving a narrow presentation of information where nothing steers very far from the centre ground.

And If young people are going to blindly repeat lyrics without researching the background to them, I can't see why that matters. What difference does it make if they are singing Uprising as opposed to Space Dementia for example?

Thank you, I have been saying this since the USoE treasure hunt. These lyrics have meaning, a meaning that we have to research and discover for ourselves. It is actually quite fitting that I am reading a book that is called "The New Imperialism" which talks about American Hegemony from Marx's point of view in a way. Very interesting read indeed.

put this on the itunes preview thread, thought i'd post it here to lift your spirits :LOL:

k guys, so I took the time to review Muse song clips on iTunes from all of their back catalog and here's some encouraging proof that the best of the resistance is yet to come:

-showbiz doesn't include the chorus, nor the amazing final note

-new born doesn't have ANY of the guitar part, just the intro piano

-plug in baby doesn't include the riff

-hoodoo doesn't include the epic piano break out thing, just the intro guitar

-KoC doesn't have the outro guitar, which was what won me over on this song.

so those were the most obvious songs that were missing massive riffs and (imo) the best parts of the songs.

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! :)

Archived