Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

You call that a real Muse fan?

Apparently... Yes.

It seem Muse fandom is cracking like an egg on this one.

On one side we have the Real Muse Fans (I wish it was a club we could join) Who want Riffs every other song. And Origin Of Symmerty played on a loop on Radio 1,2,3,4 and 5 ;)

In the middle Progressive Muse fans who can except change and sometimes really big change (i.e Undisclosed Desires....:eek:) and not cry like a Baby.

The Ultra's... Who are mainly 13/14 years of age Females. Who love anything by muse, and will slap you down if you ever diss Micro Cuts.:mad:

And apparently the newly named 'Newfags' who like Starlight, Time is Running Out, Supermassive and Uprising.... And they dance to them :eek: ....

Which are you...... it's £5 quid to join.... Warners need your cash. Do you know how much this album cost to make.... Millions:rolleyes:

:LOL:

Good summary!

I'd classify myself as one of the progressives. I don't want to join the everything has to have a big riff or it's shit club. Thanks! :LOL: The so called Real Muse Fans, it's like the Real IRA! :LOL:

Who are manly 13/14 years of age Females

Btw it took me a little while to fathom that one out!:LOL:

Apparently... Yes.

It seem Muse fandom is cracking like an egg on this one.

On one side we have the Real Muse Fans (I wish it was a club we could join) Who want Riffs every other song. And Origin Of Symmerty played on a loop on Radio 1,2,3,4 and 5 ;)

In the middle Progressive Muse fans who can except change and sometimes really big change (i.e Undisclosed Desires....:eek:) and not cry like a Baby.

The Ultra's... Who are manly 13/14 years of age Females. Who love anything by muse, and will slap you down if you ever diss Micro Cuts.:mad:

And apparently the newly named 'Newfags' who like Starlight, Time is Running Out, Supermassive and Uprising.... And they dance to them :eek: ....

Which are you...... it's £5 quid to join.... Warners need your cash. Do you know how much this album cost to make.... Millions:rolleyes:

There are changes and changes, it's like we have scarlett johansson and now we have a girl of our street, you wouldn't be mad?

There are posts that makes sense and then there are posts that make sense.

Yours are neither.

Ok dude, maybe it's bad to judge with only listenign 30 seconds of the song, but it if in the end the songs are the 30 seconds?, and the lyrics are still very pretentious like they look now, i'm thinking now a guy with a MCR shirt that is talking to another guy that is wearin a FOB shirt, and one say to the other "hey dude, have you heard the new album of Muse" and the other guy says "Yeaah, FIGHT THE POWA, they ROX", when they barely know more than 2 politicians.

Ok dude, maybe it's bad to judge with only listenign 30 seconds of the song, but it if in the end the songs are the 30 seconds?, and the lyrics are still very pretentious like they look now, i'm thinking now a guy with a MCR shirt that is talking to another guy that is wearin a FOB shirt, and one say to the other "hey dude, have you heard the new album of Muse" and the other guy says "Yeaah, FIGHT THE POWA, they ROX", when they barely know more than 2 politicians.

...And?

Ignore them. Is that so difficult?

And what the fudge are you talking about in regards to the song lengths? Of course the whole songs aren't going to be thirty seconds in length!

:erm:.

I think that everyone who consider themselves "the ultimate Muse fans" should have paid attention on their Muse history classes - Muse have always progressed into something different. Yes, OoS is my favourite, followed by BHAR. If that isn't in contrast, what is? I am personally really excited for 80% of the album, and I'm ready to acknowledge the remaining 20% as the time goes by. Muse was/is/will always be special and never the same. If you signed up for every album to be like OoS... you really don't know anything 'bout Muse, don't you?

Yeah Muse have changed a bit since their early days but personally I've not been too in love with the last album and where this one is potentially going. Still, I don't 100% hate it either. But I don't think they've progressed lots. It's still the same basic idea with them really, just expressed a little differently. Not that it's a bad thing.

I just listened to iTunes previews of a few older songs and none of them had riffs or the most interesting parts of the song in them. I wouldn't have known how awesome Stockholm Syndrome is from the preview iTunes has for it.

There are changes and changes, it's like we have scarlett johansson and now we have a girl of our street, you wouldn't be mad?

No. You haven't seen all the Dagenham roses who pass by my window all day. Meow :pussy:

Oh dirty girty from number 30. How i love you :kiss:

OP: for someone who seems to have some skill in writing a decent argument your forgot something rather important: you haven't heard the album.

I can't see how you can form a decent opinion of something by hearing so little of it. I'm going to wait til I've listened to it - in its entirety - a few times before forumlating an opinion and posting rubbish on the forum to either praise or damn it needlessly. ;)

:LOL:

Btw it took me a little while to fathom that one out!:LOL:

Cheeky...;)

I forgot to add in the Real Muse Fan (™) section that they are the first to snap up all the tickets for the live shows. And you can easily spot them. They'll always be at the front singing Undisclosed Desires word for word, and shaking their booty's to Uprising ;)

Anyway... First Picture of a Real Muse Fan (™) Hearing the first snippets of The Resistance on I-Tunes have just come in....

angryman_Full-1.jpg

Cheeky...;)

I forgot to add in the Real Muse Fan (™) section that they are the first to snap up all the tickets for the live shows. And you can easily spot them. They'll always be at the front singing Undisclosed Desires word for word, and shaking their booty's to Uprising ;)

Anyway... First Picture of a Real Muse Fan (™) Hearing the first snippets of The Resistance on I-Tunes have just come in....

angryman_Full-1.jpg

He's probably pissed because of the extreme low quality sound that laptop speakers provide.

I'm really interested in hearing other Muse fans' input here.

I should start by saying I'm a big fan of Origin of Symmetry with Absolution at a close second, so Muse's epic songs and hard-rock jams are all very close to my heart. While of course it's too early to thoroughly judge the album, the previews iTunes now has to offer have given me grave concern that the band is headed in a direction completely opposite that of the OoS and Absolution days.

When "United States of Eurasia" was released, I was satisfied with the song's grandeur and thundering harmonic minor runs. "Uprising," however, raised a flag. The originality and authentic Muse-ness felt absent, replaced by a baseline that was a cross between Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" and Battles' "Atlas." The synth melody felt like a weaker version of Billy Idol's "White Wedding," and the minimal guitar felt thrown in, a mere appeal to the rock and roll spirit that attracted fans like me in the first place. To be quite frank, the song felt empty, and entirely absent the heart and soul that the band seems to put into every song they release.

"But that single is just a glimpse at the album," I told myself, "it's probably going to function like Starlight did in BHAR, as a device to draw in a wider consumer base." That was the rationalization I put into place, though I had a knawing at the back of my head at even a comparison to the album that I felt was a step in the wrong direction. Regardless, I held out hope, knowing (praying) that Muse would deliver. Then the iTunes samples came online.

I don't believe I'm the first to say it, but I want to start a discourse on it among Muse fans: The Resistance isn't that good. From the 30 second samples, I drew a small list of grievances, after of course I had wiped the tears from my face:

Where did the distortion from Chris's bass go?

Why all the keyboard synth? What was wrong with piano?

Where did the classical influences disappear to?

Where is the fuzz factory, the rocking Manson sound? Where is the GUITAR for that matter?

What is with this disco vibe?

What is with this electronica vibe?

Why has the political dissent encouragement in the lyrics been turned up to 11?

And finally, WHERE IS THE MUSE I HAVE GROWN TO LOVE?

Not here, I say. Not here. I will buy the Exogenesis Symphony, and that is probably all. Please let me know what you think.

Are we playing 'I want to grow up to be a 90's throwback'?...

Because you're winning! :)

okay, so i, for one, am incredibly let down with what i've heard from the iTunes sample.

i'm not posting here to complain about the album though. i'm posting because i think it's kind of sad that people are getting offended, because some of us are not liking what we're hearing.

i have been a Muse fan for the past 5 years now and i have been hoping that this album, as well as BHaR, would be a step forward from what they've done before. with OOS and Absolution, Muse created albums that took the best elements from all of their influences, and with that they created a sound of their own. from the samples off of the Resistance, it seems as if they are not moving forwards, but sideways. sure it's a change in the overall sound, but these samples are not showing much progression. just because their catalogue will be much more diverse, doesn't mean that they're a stronger band.

Muse has always mixed rock and classical music well together, and, this is pretty sad, i've always believed that they would be able to take rock n' roll to a more complex place by using classical structures/arrangements. i know they've done it with many songs, but their sound would progress to a genre of their own.

listen, i am not saying that Muse has no right to do what they want to do or that they should follow a certain structure while in the writing process. all i'm saying is that i was hoping for something a little more innovative, over the same old sound that i could hear from any band on a top 40 radio station.

okay, so i, for one, am incredibly let down with what i've heard from the iTunes sample.

i'm not posting here to complain about the album though. i'm posting because i think it's kind of sad that people are getting offended, because some of us are not liking what we're hearing.

i have been a Muse fan for the past 5 years now and i have been hoping that this album, as well as BHaR, would be a step forward from what they've done before. with OOS and Absolution, Muse created albums that took the best elements from all of their influences, and with that they created a sound of their own. from the samples off of the Resistance, it seems as if they are not moving forwards, but sideways. sure it's a change in the overall sound, but these samples are not showing much progression. just because their catalogue will be much more diverse, doesn't mean that they're a stronger band.

Muse has always mixed rock and classical music well together, and, this is pretty sad, i've always believed that they would be able to take rock n' roll to a more complex place by using classical structures/arrangements. i know they've done it with many songs, but their sound would progress to a genre of their own.

listen, i am not saying that Muse has no right to do what they want to do or that they should follow a certain structure while in the writing process. all i'm saying is that i was hoping for something a little more innovative, over the same old sound that i could hear from any band on a top 40 radio station.

But the problem is they are basing the album off of 30 second clips... you can not form a real argument with that evidence. It's like basing a case off of a partial print. People need to relax and wait for the album to drop. All these threads about "so and so epic or epic fail" are fucking fail themselves. Wait till the album is released and then make your arguments and opinions heard. It is called patience.

Wait till the album is released and then make your arguments and opinions heard. It is called patience.

Okay, so this bugs me. When people say negative things, people are told to wait. But when people say positive things, it's like they get a gold star in a cookie for it. Why can we only say positive things? And I think we can make our opinions on the clips heard, if we want to.

Okay, so this bugs me. When people say negative things, people are told to wait. But when people say positive things, it's like they get a gold star in a cookie for it. Why can we only say positive things? And I think we can make our opinions on the clips heard, if we want to.

i couldn't have phrased it better myself

I'd like the cookie, please.

Archived