Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

I tend to base my opinions of music on how hard a band has worked to write the songs they perform. Muse are special in that they keep each other in check and never get lazy. They stay on their toes and they do challenge themselves. I like how they try different styles and genres of music on for size.

Starlight gets a lot of flack for being a 'weak' Muse song and I agree for the most part, but I respect it for the fact that it took them awhile to get it right in the way they wanted it to sound. It was the hardest song for them to record on Black Holes and Revelations. Alternatively, I'm not too fond of the 30 second preview we've heard of Undisclosed Desires. For me, it's a repeat Starlight. The band have taken on a sound that they have NEVER done before, and have shown real gall to put it on an album for everyone to judge. I may not understand why they chose to write a song like that (again, just judging from the preview), but I respect their decision to and will never think of it any less when it's blasting from my car stereo.

The emotion involved with creating an album so diverse as this, which is by far their most diverse album to date, is astounding. Muse never cease to amaze me in that respect; everything they do is emotional. Some may say they don't agree with or like the direction they've taken, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean the music isn't good. The Resistance is (going to be) their best album to date, and I don't disagree.

I have just read this thread from top to bottom.... and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Am I the only person NOT worried about TR? It'll be fine, people; let's just keep our minds open -- as Muse fans we all should be able to do that, shouldn't we? Haven't we all heard some brilliant material from the boys as well as some ghastly pieces?

And yes, I am one of those crazy old-fashioned OoS and Absolution fans..... and still I liked USoE and Uprising. I don't consider the "old Muse" to be irreconcilable with the "new Muse".

Just ask yourselves a question: "If I don't end up liking TR, will I stop being a Muse fan?"

And if the answer is "No" then arguing with each other in this thread is a waste of our energy.

I expect TR to be the most experimental Muse album to date. Not everyone is going to like it, and it's OK.

I am just glad that Muse feel that they have the freedom to experiment; perhaps because they think that their solid fan-base is not going to run away after the first mistake (should that mistake ever happen).

Let's not prove them wrong.

I'm not one of those fans who says "I want every album to sound like Origin". However, I want Muse to adhere to the VALUES of Origin! That means being original and true to themselves! This new album sounds like they're trying to be like other bands rather then themselves and betraying the values of Origin.

I have just read this thread from top to bottom.... and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Am I the only person NOT worried about TR? It'll be fine, people; let's just keep our minds open -- as Muse fans we all should be able to do that, shouldn't we? Haven't we all heard some brilliant material from the boys as well as some ghastly pieces?

And yes, I am one of those crazy old-fashioned OoS and Absolution fans..... and still I liked USoE and Uprising. I don't consider the "old Muse" to be irreconcilable with the "new Muse".

Just ask yourselves a question: "If I don't end up liking TR, will I stop being a Muse fan?"

And if the answer is "No" then arguing with each other in this thread is a waste of our energy.

I expect TR to be the most experimental Muse album to date. Not everyone is going to like it, and it's OK.

I am just glad that Muse feel that they have the freedom to experiment; perhaps because they think that their solid fan-base is not going to run away after the first mistake (should that mistake ever happen).

Let's not prove them wrong.

I'm writing off this album as as horrible experimental failure and hope they get back to being Muse in 2011.

I'm not one of those fans who says "I want every album to sound like Origin". However, I want Muse to adhere to the VALUES of Origin! That means being original and true to themselves! This new album sounds like they're trying to be like other bands rather then themselves and betraying the values of Origin.

Please, dear god, realize everything you said here is nonsense.

How in the bloody hell can a band that is making the album COMPLETELY on their own not be staying "true to themselves"?

Not liking an album is fine, but for you to assume for one second that you have ANY idea of a band's intentions is ludicrous.

There is a clear distinction here, and for your opinion to be taken seriously, you must realize this.

Please, dear god, realize everything you said here is nonsense.

How in the bloody hell can a band that is making the album COMPLETELY on their own not be staying "true to themselves"?

Not liking an album is fine, but for you to assume for one second that you have ANY idea of a band's intentions is ludicrous.

There is a clear distinction here, and for your opinion to be taken seriously, you must realize this.

Do you honestly believe any Muse fan will like this album better then Origin? Come on! I'm listening to Origin right now, and it just blows me away how great this album is. TR just doesn't impress me in any way.

I'm writing off this album as as horrible experimental failure and hope they get back to being Muse in 2011.

We've heard what, 5 fucking minutes of previews and 2 songs, but oh yeah its a failure. Definitely. :facepalm:

I really do hope this album turns out to be fucking brilliant just to prove people like you wrong. And oh by the way, you are a FAN. Not the band. You dont get to say what is and isn't Muse.

We've heard what, 5 fucking minutes of previews and 2 songs, but oh yeah its a failure. Definitely. :facepalm:

I really do hope this album turns out to be fucking brilliant just to prove people like you wrong. And oh by the way, you are a FAN. Not the band. You dont get to say what is and isn't Muse.

Considering I've paid money for all the albums I DO get a say about what is Muse and TR to me isn't real Muse. Too bad if that offends your fanboyish sensibilities.

Considering I've paid money for all the albums I DO get a say about what is Muse and TR to me isn't real Muse. Too bad if that offends your fanboyish sensibilities.

1) I'm a girl.

2)OoS is my favorite album.

3)I can see there is no point for further discussion if you are obviously the biggest authority here. I mean seriously, you have all the albums :eek: omg you're lyk, matt bellamyz himselff!

Wow! If you hate it that much, ......... I am lost for words.

What are you still doing here, BTW?

Just wondering....

P.S. Obviously, keeping an open mind is not for everyone.

^

^

^

Finally, some sense! For god's sakes, people, THE ALBUM ISN'T EVEN OUT YET! We can't tell from a handful of previews! Who cares if TR sounds like OOS, or not like OOS, or like BHAR or not like BHAR- its TR, and its an individual album. Not all of a bands albums have to sound alike- Showbiz was completely different from OOS, which was different from Absolution which was different again from BHAR . No-one knows as of yet what TR will end up like.

Maybe the album will be fantastic! Maybe not. We don't know until TR actually is released. Then we can make a fair judgement on what Muse is becoming.

BTW, if this is reassuring to those pessimistic fans, I find iTunes always plays the worst bits of people's music as a sample. The verse, usually. Nothing epic. So, you never know; we may get some awesomeness in Undisclosed Desires yet. ;)

And, reviewers who have actually heard the album are saying its brilliant- so, we just have to wait until the 14th.

That was a bit of a rant. :LOL:

Wow. Aren't you just a fan, huh?

Writing it off.. you can't just write off an album! And what if that album turns out to be the best Muse album ever put out there? Hmmmm?

Wait until September.

Wow. Aren't you just a fan, huh?

Writing it off.. you can't just write off an album! And what if that album turns out to be the best Muse album ever put out there? Hmmmm?

Wait until September.

I already know it will be filled up with political lyrics. Where are the songs like "Map of Your Head" or "Shrinking Universe"? There used to be such beauty in Muse. Oh well I always will have Hullabaloo CD.

I already know it will be filled up with political lyrics. Where are the songs like "Map of Your Head" or "Shrinking Universe"? There used to be such beauty in Muse. Oh well I always will have Hullabaloo CD.

That makes me laugh! You like lyrics like "Wearing just socks and a phone?" then obviously?

Let the band have some creative freedom, geez.

That makes me laugh! You like lyrics like "Wearing just socks and a phone?" then obviously?

Let the band have some creative freedom, geez.

You don't seem to understand. Beauty lies not in political agitation songs, but in songs about ordinary life like "Map of Your Head". Maybe when you get past 30 years old you'll understand that.

You don't seem to understand. Beauty lies not in political agitation songs, but in songs about ordinary life like "Map of Your Head". Maybe when you get past 30 years old you'll understand that.

I understand perfectly your point, thanks very much. :yesey: And I don't necessarily like songs with political messages too- I enjoy songs about ordinary life. I'm just saying wait till September.

Archived