Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

I'm really interested in hearing other Muse fans' input here.

I should start by saying I'm a big fan of Origin of Symmetry with Absolution at a close second, so Muse's epic songs and hard-rock jams are all very close to my heart. While of course it's too early to thoroughly judge the album, the previews iTunes now has to offer have given me grave concern that the band is headed in a direction completely opposite that of the OoS and Absolution days.

When "United States of Eurasia" was released, I was satisfied with the song's grandeur and thundering harmonic minor runs. "Uprising," however, raised a flag. The originality and authentic Muse-ness felt absent, replaced by a baseline that was a cross between Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" and Battles' "Atlas." The synth melody felt like a weaker version of Billy Idol's "White Wedding," and the minimal guitar felt thrown in, a mere appeal to the rock and roll spirit that attracted fans like me in the first place. To be quite frank, the song felt empty, and entirely absent the heart and soul that the band seems to put into every song they release.

"But that single is just a glimpse at the album," I told myself, "it's probably going to function like Starlight did in BHAR, as a device to draw in a wider consumer base." That was the rationalization I put into place, though I had a knawing at the back of my head at even a comparison to the album that I felt was a step in the wrong direction. Regardless, I held out hope, knowing (praying) that Muse would deliver. Then the iTunes samples came online.

I don't believe I'm the first to say it, but I want to start a discourse on it among Muse fans: The Resistance isn't that good. From the 30 second samples, I drew a small list of grievances, after of course I had wiped the tears from my face:

Where did the distortion from Chris's bass go?

Why all the keyboard synth? What was wrong with piano?

Where did the classical influences disappear to?

Where is the fuzz factory, the rocking Manson sound? Where is the GUITAR for that matter?

What is with this disco vibe?

What is with this electronica vibe?

Why has the political dissent encouragement in the lyrics been turned up to 11?

And finally, WHERE IS THE MUSE I HAVE GROWN TO LOVE?

Not here, I say. Not here. I will buy the Exogenesis Symphony, and that is probably all. Please let me know what you think.

Where did the distortion from Chris's bass go?

- Wtf?!?! Chris' bass is sounding heavier, beefier and more distorted than ever!

Why all the keyboard synth? What was wrong with piano?

- This album has both. Use your ears. And don't we already have quite an extensive vault of piano songs?

Where did the classical influences disappear to?

- Ah yes, I forgot, symphony actually means 'electro-bum-squat-shuffle' not the 13-minute classical-come-rock odyssey. What a shithead I am.

Where is the fuzz factory, the rocking Manson sound? Where is the GUITAR for that matter?

- MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection, parts of Exogenesis, Guiding Light, OMFG GITARZ!

What is with this disco vibe?

- It's funky.

What is with this electronica vibe?

- It's progression.

Why has the political dissent encouragement in the lyrics been turned up to 11?

- The lyrics are shite as usual, whatchoo 'spect?

And finally, WHERE IS THE MUSE I HAVE GROWN TO LOVE?

- Yes, grown to love and refuse to give-up. If you like Origin Of Symmetry and Absolution, bugger off and listen to them whilst we enjoy their new material/direction.

No?

Bonus pants, I'd have to agree with you fully.

Thus far The Resistance looks grim. Even songs I held out hope for like unnatural selection and MK ultra aren't sounding fantastic. They've gone in a completely new poppy direction, why weren't more of the songs classically influenced rather than just exogenesis? The reason I ask is because so far exogenesis part 1 and 2 completely obliterate the rest of the sample songs... Exogenesis has all the spark of the muse I used to know and love, frankly would've preferred a 50minute classical/rock symphony and a couple disco B-sides. I hope when the full songs come out that they change my mind, but it's looking grim.

I say wait until we can hear the album in full before jumping to conclusions. 30 seconds of a song is nothing, and by Muse's standards, certainly won't be representative of the whole song. Remember trying to judge how USoE was going to sound as we unlocked each 30 seconds?

Take a step back and appreciate the awesomeness. Muse have the talent and imagination to be able to create such a wide variety of music, and we all have our favourites. Progression is a good thing, and they're still the same band we know and love, we can't expect them to remain in 2001. :happy:

/end

If you don't like it, go play OoS or Abso if you want to listen to Muse, no one is forcing you to listen to it. Using the same formula for an album gets boring very quickly, and thankfully it seems the majority appreciate what they are doing. Just because it's not to your taste doesn't make it a bad album.

Bonus pants, I'd have to agree with you fully.

Thus far The Resistance looks grim. Even songs I held out hope for like unnatural selection and MK ultra aren't sounding fantastic. They've gone in a completely new poppy direction, why weren't more of the songs classically influenced rather than just exogenesis? The reason I ask is because so far exogenesis part 1 and 2 completely obliterate the rest of the sample songs... Exogenesis has all the spark of the muse I used to know and love, frankly would've preferred a 50minute classical/rock symphony and a couple disco B-sides. I hope when the full songs come out that they change my mind, but it's looking grim.

I nominate this as the most ridiculously stupid post of 2009 so far.

Congrats.

If you don't like it, go play OoS or Abso if you want to listen to Muse, no one is forcing you to listen to it. Using the same formula for an album gets boring very quickly, and thankfully it seems the majority appreciate what they are doing. Just because it's not to your taste doesn't make it a bad album.

This :yesey:

They're 30 second clips ffs, they cannot be judged as a whole until the album is officially released.

I for one am really loving the change in direction Muse are taking because it's taking something I love in Muse and adding something new and unusual into the mix :happy:

My enthusiasm for this album is higher than ever! :awesome:

Im all for change, but I guess what I'm trying to say is so far exogenesis dumps on the others (and you can it expect it to be MORE progressive than the others too), why make a 3part rock symphony then take the remaining 8 songs in the completely opposite direction?

Classical influenced rock is emotional, moving & motivational music, and muse do it well... The album had so much potential with the classical rock direction, but so far has seemed to work completely against that...

P.s. People who keep saying stop complaining and go listen to Oos or abs, stop being daft. People should offer their opinion on a bands music and musical direction whether good, bad or neutral. Forums are to discuss things.

Listen to the samples and pretend its the first time youve ever heard muse. I wouldn't be blown away... I think this album will struggle to be better than blackholes

P.s. People who keep saying stop complaining and go listen to Oos or abs, stop being daft. People should offer their opinion on a bands music and musical direction whether good, bad or neutral. Forums are to discuss things.

Yes but it's being suggested that they should stick to that style, and you must have a very limited music taste if you want a band to produce the same stuff over and over again.

Yes but it's being suggested that they should stick to that style, and you must have a very limited music taste if you want a band to produce the same stuff over and over again.

A lot of people do want more of the same: oos/abs... Which, I agree, is stupid.

What I was saying is a classical approach fits muse and makes for much better music than unoriginal glam rock. In my opinion.

A lot of people do want more of the same: oos/abs... Which, I agree, is stupid.

What I was saying is a classical approach fits muse and makes for much better music than unoriginal glam rock. In my opinion.

But ExoGenesis and Collateral Damage seem to deliver the classical direction you might want yes?

I like the mixture of genres this album seems to be including, it all makes for very exciting anticipation that's for sure :yesey:

This isn't fully justified.

You should make threads like this once the album has been FULLY released.

I agree its different. But then again, when I first heard Muse, I hated them.

Now they are my biggest influence, musically.

I love how people judge a whole album from 30 seconds preview... Try judging New Born for the itunes preview (you wouldn't know that an epic riff is coming...)

I have reservations on a couple of the songs but I refuse to form an opinion until I have a pwopah listen (of the complete songs)....

this is becoming all ridiculous...go and listen to the older stuff than and stop crying around!

once again they accomplished the very hard mission to deliver something "new", "fresh", "innovative" mastering at the same time the nearly impossible mission of sounding just AMAZING!!!

I love how people judge a whole album from 30 seconds preview... Try judging New Born for the itunes preview (you wouldn't know that an epic riff is coming...)

I have reservations on a couple of the songs but I refuse to form an opinion until I have a pwopah listen (of the complete songs)....

So true! :musesign:

I agree its different. But then again, when I first heard Muse, I hated them.

This.

Maybe it isn't going in a direction that you'd like, but as Muse have proved themselves capable of successfully trying new things before, at least give them the benefit of the doubt and consider that this experimentation could be a good thing after all!

But ExoGenesis and Collateral Damage seem to deliver the classical direction you might want yes?

I like the mixture of genres this album seems to be including, it all makes for very exciting anticipation that's for sure :yesey:

Yeah exactly, I love usoe and the 30 second exogenesis clips are jizzable material lol... Would've loved for the whole album to more around this style... Guess I just want to have my cake and eat it too... I shall wait for my mind to be changed by the full album.

edit, @khfreek: No I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about the glam rock on the resistance

How on earth can you judge a CD based on 11 30 second clips. Listen to the 30 second clip of oos and absolution, you wouldn't have fallen in love with them if you only heard 30 seconds. Wait until the album is released and then your opinion will be valid.

This point (which I've seen made by others) is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It does not take a person more than 30 seconds to know if a song is shit or not. Go listen to an AIDS Wolf song and see if that takes you 30 seconds to hate/like.

and lol at timaye, you think that that they were playing glam rock BEFORE the Resistance? This album has the most glam rock of them all!

Archived