sup knt

how do i go about making some isolated tracks? (if that's the right way to put it). you know, separating guitar or bass or drums or whatever else from a single track into a bunch of separate ones.

try a stereo subtraction of the original (will only work on a stereo recording) to remove the centre channel

depending on how it was mixed, this will probably knock out most vocals except backing, bass, some guitar and some drums (basically, anything panned centre disappears). other parts will be more pronounced as a result. it wont separate tracks and give you drums or whatever by themselves, but it will likely give you a some good material to be able to filter and cut etc if you are trying to isolate one part.

edit: to clarify, you do a stereo subtraction by splitting the L/R sides of the audio and inverting the polarity of one of them, then sum them in mono.

you'll know this one....

Is there a plug in when you play it one peice of audio, and then another, and then get it to remove whatever's in one from the other.

Like, I have a waves anti-noise thing which will learn a noise profile, so I give my tracks 30 seconds of "silence" to pick up computer hum etc. I press "learn" for this portion, then it manages to mostly remove that hum from the track. I'd like it to be much more flexible than that, so you could use it as an experimental tool, like pan the effected track right, then the "reference track" left, and choose the threshold and shit. There must be a plug-in? Obviously you could use something like that to try and split out tracks a bit, but it wouldn't work that well.

you'll know this one....

Is there a plug in when you play it one peice of audio, and then another, and then get it to remove whatever's in one from the other.

Like, I have a waves anti-noise thing which will learn a noise profile, so I give my tracks 30 seconds of "silence" to pick up computer hum etc. I press "learn" for this portion, then it manages to mostly remove that hum from the track. I'd like it to be much more flexible than that, so you could use it as an experimental tool, like pan the effected track right, then the "reference track" left, and choose the threshold and shit. There must be a plug-in? Obviously you could use something like that to try and split out tracks a bit, but it wouldn't work that well.

well i believe that waves plugin is just a spectral subtractive process, similar to a matching eq where it listens to the incoming audio, a certain threshold is set for the amount of reduction, it takes a frequency fingerprint of 'noise' and subtracts that fingerprint from the rest by a defined %age... thats cool for removing a constant level and frequency noise, but james' problem exists in the temporal domain as well, as many of the tracks he will want to separate have frequency spectra that change over time, and also likely quite large and overlapping bandwidths. if you try and sample some musical content to remove youll get a lot of unwanted reduction of other parts and probably not even remove the bit you wanted rid of.

you can remove one piece of audio from another piece of audio (just invert the polarity!), but phase becomes important at this stage, and it has to be something of the same audio... like a mix of a song with vocals minus the instrumental mix could in theory give the solo vocal track, but that would only happen if the effect of the processing on the track at the master faders and beyond was identical (if its hitting a compressor, they wont be)

i might have a look into this area a bit more in max using FFT to see if anything is plausible, ive got a bit of a lazy day

So are there spectral subtractive EQ plug-ins? If if they have a listen/input function, why couldn't this also be based on time as well as frequency.

I wasn't suggesting to use this to split out tracks, it's just what made me think of it. I'd quite like to get experimenting a bit more before we start recording the next album.

So are there spectral subtractive EQ plug-ins? If if they have a listen/input function, why couldn't this also be based on time as well as frequency.

I wasn't suggesting to use this to split out tracks, it's just what made me think of it. I'd quite like to get experimenting a bit more before we start recording the next album.

technically isnt part of what an EQ does is a spectral subtraction? :p but i think i know what you mean.

try ozone's parametric EQ, it has a matching mode.. which i think you could somehow turn upside down. there are also sonographic EQ plugins, which might interest you (much easier for editing out clicks and pops or other unwanted noise, or making weird stuff).

thinking about a time based EQ though, which might be interesting. ive built a very simple vocoder before.. a similar principle: signal levels are analysed from the output of lots of tuned narrow bandwidth bandpass filters, which gives you control data for the level of the signal at the input at whichever frequencies. another identical set of bandpasses follow the levels of the ones tracking the input and filter an oscillator tone, so you get a simple vocoder.

perhaps doing the opposite of the above (i.e. making frequencies detected in the input quieter in the output stage) would do what you're thinking of

im not not sure as i dont think melodyne with dna is out yet, but im guessing the program material needs to be simple/harmonic for the detection algorithm to work. not sure what the term for it is, but i think you might get a lot of sloshing if not.

then again, they could be utter geniuses at melodyne hq and have achieved that, not sure :) im curious to see what the dna algo would make of percussive sounds (i.e ones with dissonant/inharmonic partials)

Right, i left my fucking DMM in my uni house, so i'm pretty limited as to the work i can do towards getting the DV finished. HOWEVER, i'm working on the enclosure for the moment. Need to see which decal people prefer. Sorry the photo's a little blurry, it's not easy holding a camera and the decal sheet at the same time :LOL: They're both pretty similar, but still.

Option 1:

2vvl254.jpg

Option 2:

b80mxi.jpg

Cheers

Right, i left my fucking DMM in my uni house, so i'm pretty limited as to the work i can do towards getting the DV finished. HOWEVER, i'm working on the enclosure for the moment. Need to see which decal people prefer. Sorry the photo's a little blurry, it's not easy holding a camera and the decal sheet at the same time :LOL: They're both pretty similar, but still.

Option 1:

2vvl254.jpg

Option 2:

b80mxi.jpg

Cheers

I like the first one better, looks pretty cool, but i would like the combination of the two the most, the first's placement (black is on the right side) and the seconds black grain/texture on the first's black.

technically isnt part of what an EQ does is a spectral subtraction? :p but i think i know what you mean.

try ozone's parametric EQ, it has a matching mode.. which i think you could somehow turn upside down. there are also sonographic EQ plugins, which might interest you (much easier for editing out clicks and pops or other unwanted noise, or making weird stuff).

thinking about a time based EQ though, which might be interesting. ive built a very simple vocoder before.. a similar principle: signal levels are analysed from the output of lots of tuned narrow bandwidth bandpass filters, which gives you control data for the level of the signal at the input at whichever frequencies. another identical set of bandpasses follow the levels of the ones tracking the input and filter an oscillator tone, so you get a simple vocoder.

perhaps doing the opposite of the above (i.e. making frequencies detected in the input quieter in the output stage) would do what you're thinking of

Interesting! I need to get into this shit, I just don't have the time. I want someone to make loads of random toys that I can just steal and use for my own fun. What a selfish prick. Thanks for the ideas!

i don't suppose there are any kind Musers willing to make a Tim Escobedo Uglyface pedal at some point in the future? i'm short of cash at the moment because i'm moving house but should be able to pay up in a few weeks time :)

edit:will pay you in cookies?

no no, just guitar ones. See, there's a few pedals that are "based" on the preamp of certain amps, for example, a fender princeton. When you actually look at the schematic for these pedals, they're just preamps. So, my issue is, If i, for example, copy the schematic for the preamp for say, a fender twin, and go Guitar>preamp>my vox amp, will it sound pretty similar to a fender twin?

no. Go into the FX return on your amp and you might get close. It also depends on the power amp and speakers, although the poweramp shouldn't contribute much to your tone, in certain situations it will.

EDIT: I mean, if the fender is 10" speakers and your Vox is 12"s you have a problem. Similarly if the most common tone for that fender (I have no idea) is distorting the power amp, then you have a problem. If the power amp on the fender is fairly transparent and you don't need power amp distortion, and if both amps have the same size speakers, then the same pre-amp should get you most of the way there.

yeah. Like, runoffgroove.com have a whole bunch of fet based pedals, based on various preamps. with a lot of valve amps out there, it's pretty easy to spot where the poweramp starts. So, i was thinking maybe if i took the preamp stage, and adapted it into a pedal, you could, for example, get that really nice Vox Top Boost sound, but in a pedal, just using the preamp stage.

I remember before when i was looking to see what order i should put my pedals in, there was a site that had a space for preamps. They put it after Wah and Filters, but before OD and fuzz. It makes sense tbh, cos it's somewhere between OD and clean signal.

I think in theory, it's possible, but in practice, it might be more difficult than expected. I'll try it with something simple, like an old fender white (which afaik is only 1 tube) and if it works, i might make something fun like a soldano one for metalz.

Is it possible to make a 2' date='5 step (5 fret) bend on strat style guitars? I am struggling with a Pink Floyd solo, (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2.) Dave played it with a LP in the studio so maybe i shouldn't struggle with a floating Wilkinson stlye trem.[/quote']

yes, but if you find it too hard, use lower gauge strings, OR do the same bend on the lower string higher up, the closer to the 12th fret, the easier it is.

Is it possible to make a 2' date='5 step (5 fret) bend on strat style guitars? I am struggling with a Pink Floyd solo, (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2.) Dave played it with a LP in the studio so maybe i shouldn't struggle with a floating Wilkinson stlye trem.[/quote']

that bend is on the 13th fret on b, right? its possible, infact i think that a strat is the wall solo 'guitar' live isnt it? if you have normal gauge strings on, it should be fine, maybe a bit tricky with heavies on. i can do it ok on my 3 guitars (though none of them are a strat, it should be fine)

i've been reading about the Motherbucker (gonna shove one in my PRS) and most places selling it say

It also allows many wiring options, giving you a handful of different tones

any ideas how the ones in Bellamy's guitars are wired in?

does anyone know if you can adjust the individual string height on a floyd rose?

edit:

better question, can i do a straight swap of a Floyd Rose to a strat style trem?

It won't be a straight swap. There a hell of a lot more routing needed for a floyd. As for string heights, I think there might be. I can't remember and I don't be bothered to dig mine out the spares draw.

i've been reading about the Motherbucker (gonna shove one in my PRS) and most places selling it say

any ideas how the ones in Bellamy's guitars are wired in?

His were just wired at full output. Wired like that it's pretty limited to how useful it is. It'll always overdrive a clean amp and it doesn't sound that clear for chords but it's great for meaty riffs.

cheers,i think i'll go for it full output,i like a bit of meat i do :)

If you have the knowhow and patience, it might be worth wiring it up with a switch of pull-pot to coil tap it or something? At least then it will be useable clean :p

If you have the knowhow and patience, it might be worth wiring it up with a switch of pull-pot to coil tap it or something? At least then it will be useable clean :p

that's not a bad idea,it'd sound pretty awesome to split it on solos too :)

Archived