I've seen a Reaktor patch that works as a guitar to midi converter, worked pretty well for me also. The disadvantage is that you need a pc to run it.

Sooner or later, every self respecting guitarist will have a pc in his pedalboard.:LOL:

I just saw a nice project where you install a looper software on some dirt cheap computer which is capable of running windows 98. You will need an AC97 soundcard (default in 99% of the available older motherboards) You will need a buffer or booster or signal splitter or whatever before and after the soundcard but that is a piece of cake for us in the (un)Worthy. ;)

Then you get the pcb out of a cheap keyboard, locate the four or five buttons connector on the pcb which will you need for control the looper. Like s(start) f(finish) r(record) d(delete) or something like that, and you solder a simple momentary footswitch between the right pins.

Then you set up the computer to run that looper prog automatically after boot up.

Voila, 16 bit, 2 min looper.

edit: thread here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74979.0

edit: isn't it weird that you can get a used computer with much higher computing power than any existing effects pedal for the price of a pack of strings and a few picks? or even free?

i think if i had the money, i'd build a PC into one of those Rackmount sized computer cases. with one of those Flatscreens that fold up out of a Rackmount drawer. Actually.... the amount of rackmount stuff i'd have... like a spring reverb....

/G.A.S

Sooner or later, every self respecting guitarist will have a pc in his pedalboard.:LOL:

I just saw a nice project where you install a looper software on some dirt cheap computer which is capable of running windows 98. You will need an AC97 soundcard (default in 99% of the available older motherboards) You will need a buffer or booster or signal splitter or whatever before and after the soundcard but that is a piece of cake for us in the (un)Worthy. ;)

Then you get the pcb out of a cheap keyboard, locate the four or five buttons connector on the pcb which will you need for control the looper. Like s(start) f(finish) r(record) d(delete) or something like that, and you solder a simple momentary footswitch between the right pins.

Then you set up the computer to run that looper prog automatically after boot up.

Voila, 16 bit, 2 min looper.

edit: thread here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=74979.0

edit: isn't it weird that you can get a used computer with much higher computing power than any existing effects pedal for the price of a pack of strings and a few picks? or even free?

I already do ;) Though I use Ableton Live/Logic 9 on a Macbook. Far cheaper than an equivalent pedal board/rack set up and still able to incorporate them in with no issues.

lame. can't seem to find any internal roland ones for sale, and the graphtech ghost ones are pricey as fuck.

would this be of any use to you?

Sonuus G2M

i had try of one at a guitar show recently and it seemed a cool,cheap alternative to a midi pickup and with no need for any guitar mods. it is monophonic i'm afraid so it can't really track chords (though if you do hit a chord it makes a sort of glitchy 8-bit kind of noise which i actually quite liked :rolleyes:) i'm getting one next payday :)

I seem to be having a rather odd problem with Dimension Pro in Cubase LE... Every note is sustaining infinately (where possible) almost as if once the midi note has come to an "end" there is no Midi Off message being sent to the VST... It works perfectly fine in Ableton so it must be something to do with cubase, and using other VSTs in cubase im not having this same issue, but I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong...

Edit: No worries, turns out the phrase I was looking for was "hanging notes" and a quick search has found a VST Patch for Dimension :)

as far as patch cables go, are they all fairly similar? Like, bare in mind i'm not in a band or anything, and i'm just looking for a cheap solution. I can get a set of 9 x 15cm cables for €12. I only want them for my pedal board as i've proper decent cables for Guitar > 1st pedal and Last pedal > amp.

as far as patch cables go, are they all fairly similar? Like, bare in mind i'm not in a band or anything, and i'm just looking for a cheap solution. I can get a set of 9 x 15cm cables for €12. I only want them for my pedal board as i've proper decent cables for Guitar > 1st pedal and Last pedal > amp.

It's worth getting a bunch of decent cables. Your chain is only as strong as your weakest link. And if you've got a bunch of weak links in line...

You want the shortest possible cables you can get away with, 15cm cables seems a bit much for a pedal board, regardless of the quality.

You want the shortest possible cables you can get away with, 15cm cables seems a bit much for a pedal board, regardless of the quality.

I have a few of this:

verbindergerade.jpg

And a few of it's offset version.

But i have never used them, i don't have a pedalboard, i gonna build a box in a few days with one DC in and like 8 DC outs, with power filtering caps inside and voltage sag on a few outputs. Then maybe i should start thinking about a board.

i always bought the cheapest, shittest patch cable (£1 each?) money could buy.. Ive had no problems.. Though i dont often use more than 3 of them for any one chain.

yeh me too. I'm sure i'd just be blown away by how much more toanz i'd get by ordering some custom hi-fi cables, but not as much a comparing bass->amp, with bass->pedals with shit cables->amp.

oh yeah! i got those cables yesterday, they're 15cm long, which is fine. As far as tom was saying, I think i've found a decent enough solution. I've these crappy ones going between the pedals, but then i've 2 really good ones, one from Guitar > 1st pedal and one from Last Pedal > Amp. I can justify that, but not superossum ones from pedal to pedal. They seem grand. I've only 2 pedals with me, so i can only test 1, but they do the job just fine.

I'm actually happy enough with the length, cos with some of my pedals, the jacks for input/output are on different sides. Most are input on the left and output on the right, but the whammy and the muff are the other way around, so the cables are a nice length for going around them. Not much point in putting up pics. they're different colours, and i don't have wood floors, so fuck that.

Was having a bit of a problem with my guitar and what seemed like most electrical stuff?

When i plug my guitar like.. directly into my computer(While using effects from like guitar rig, recording in the Windows sound recorder is fine), into a mixer(while using one of the mixers effects, running it straight through it is fine), into an Amp with a control pedal. (I had a Line 6 IV HD 150 for a while with the pedal that controls all the amps effects, worked fine without the pedal connected and so did the effects but when I pluged in the pedal the problem occured. Even though at times it was fine..?)

I get like this hum, and when i play notes it sounds like I'm using a phaser and at times even some sort of tremolo effect(Even though I'm playing totally clean). It's horrible, at the time i just reverted to avoiding anything that caused it but eventually it just happened when i had the guitar plugged into the amp with nothing external.

Could it be the guitar? I HAVE dropped it a few times. Maybe the cables I'm using? I don't really know anything about this sort of stuff.

if you want to check if it's the guitar, just plug it into the amp?

I'd say it's software issue. When i was using GR, i used to get a screachy fuzzy sound, like a lofi fuzz whenever i had too many effects or something. Tbh, i'm not very good on software, but, i doubt it's the guitar. Plug it directly into the amp and see if it is.

Archived