tom, came across a good video which might be a better solution.

Some guy on the yewchoobs set himself up like so:

Input > OD > FX Loop with KP (I'm guessing it was set to Direct mode instead of the through mode) > Fuzz etc etc etc

he mentioned it was just a simple effects loop based on some sort of amp.

Now, there's the obvious thing of FX Placement (I'd have the KP after Fuzz etc, with the other modulation effects). BUT, when he had the FX loop thingy, built with a true bypass, it had no effect on his volume or dynamics. Makes massive sense to me, considering how i've seen several cases on the intarcookies of people putting their line effects in the FX Loop for them to work fine.

Of course, there is obvious other pros to having a DI Loop box, for future purchaces etc.

But that FX Loop idea should do the trick too, right?

Surely with this whole KP "To loop or not to loop" Dilemma, the True bypass loop is the best solution, possibly with a "series/parallel" option, because if you are just going to use with with an XY pad on a guitar, then you could engage it with the Loop, fuck around with synths noises and shit, then switch it back off with the Loop?

And for more practical uses like a delay or something, set the mix on the KP to 100%, have the loop set to "Parallel" (or whatever, so you get both signals) Then you have the fully dynamic and un-effected tone from the direct signal from the guitar, plus the reverb or delay signal from the KP?

no idea. It might be good to have input and output gain controls on there anyway, so you can experiment with the KP to get the best sound. If it doesn't work, it'd always be useful to get more gain out of dirt pedals IE put something in the loop, stick the input gain on full, bring the output down to get it in line, and you're driving the pedal 10X harder than before.

I dunno.

I had the soldering iron out again at the weekend so i'm feeling all practical and accomplished.

WD40 would be fine.

No!

Do not do this, I did it and it kills tone, ive been playing for 49 years and ive learnt that tone comes from the fingertips, but my special tip for loosening your magic treadle is to use this its expensive, but my '59 les paul would sound shit without it. That, along with my gold plated sneakers

070702_IndulgencesNike_01.jpg

are the secret to honing your tone...

I second WD-40

Archived