The seventy 80 is a very bright, efficient ceramic. I suspect it would sound very harsh with a class-A EL84Se. I'd say that the blues would be a good choice not sure of the green , or a G12H for a darker sound. Bear in mind that the AC4 sounds nothing at all like an AC30, speaker swaps won't get you closer really.

Yeah it sounds alright from my novice ear but a bit bright if that's the right term, can become a treble-fest.

Just looking for something a bit better, I know the HW AC4 has a greenback. Lots of forums says alnico blue or greenback so I thought the greenback. Not too worried about the clean tone as long is it still sounds Voxy, more interested in how it will sound with fuzz/distortion.

What are the implications of coming from the 80w Celestion to the 25W greenback? It distorts more right?

In this application, none whatsoever. A single EL84 will never exceed 12-14W dissipation and deliver more like 10w at the speaker, so even a 25w speaker will have twice the power capability needed.

Are there any good resources at a kind of intro level (don't know an awful lot about electronics and inner workings of amps) that I can look up on stuff like this that you know of?

• 2 weeks later...

In Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, was that guitar in the beginning recorded note by note so as to not have that distorted sound when playing up high with gain?

If not then what sort of magical overdrive was used??

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any tips for using a pitch shifter and a fuzz factory in the same effects loop? I found that putting the shifter immediately after the fuzz means that the quality of the fuzz is unaffected and I get good shifting of my distortions/overdrives. However, when I try to shift with the fuzz on, there is a noticeable volume drop. Putting the shifter in front of the fuzz results in the oscillation effects of the fuzz being interfered with, and some nasty noise comes through constantly. I believe this is something to do with the output of the shifter being one that the fuzz doesn't like as the fuzz doesn't really like any pedals in front of it or something.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any tips for using a pitch shifter and a fuzz factory in the same effects loop? I found that putting the shifter immediately after the fuzz means that the quality of the fuzz is unaffected and I get good shifting of my distortions/overdrives. However, when I try to shift with the fuzz on, there is a noticeable volume drop. Putting the shifter in front of the fuzz results in the oscillation effects of the fuzz being interfered with, and some nasty noise comes through constantly. I believe this is something to do with the output of the shifter being one that the fuzz doesn't like as the fuzz doesn't really like any pedals in front of it or something.

Any help greatly appreciated!

There's a modification for the Fuzz Factory that sorts the impedance and needing to be first in the chain I think.

Technically the pitch shifter needs to be first.

Going into an already dirty amp with the FF first can work though, which is basically the old OOS live sound

• 7 months later...

So i bought a Two Rock Studio Pro 50 head last week but don't have a cab to play it through yet. I turned on the amp without the cab just to make sure it had survived transit and would switch on etc. but i've just read now that turning on a head without a cab can seriously damage the head, should i be worried that i've broken it and if so how will i know if it's broken before my cab arrives? The amp has a solid state rectifier i think if that makes any difference?

If there's any amp tech wizards here i need you now, worried sick about this... spent a bomb on this amp!

Cheers

Yes it can damage it. Did you have it fully switched on, or just on standby?

It's probably fine, especially if you didn't play through it.

I had it fully switched on for about 25-30 minutes but didn't play anything through it, nothing plugged in to it. Just sent an email across to Two Rock now

I had it fully switched on for about 25-30 minutes but didn't play anything through it, nothing plugged in to it. Just sent an email across to Two Rock now

Definitely not a good thing to do, but it's difficult to say without plugging it into a cabinet to see if it makes any sound.

Definitely not a good thing to do, but it's difficult to say without plugging it into a cabinet to see if it makes any sound.

I might visit a music shop later in the week and test through a cab. I still have my combo amp so would it work to plug the speaker lead from that into the output of the head or would that be dangerous to both amps too?

I might visit a music shop later in the week and test through a cab. I still have my combo amp so would it work to plug the speaker lead from that into the output of the head or would that be dangerous to both amps too?

If you do wanna test it then yeah, take it into a shop, explain what happened and they'll be able to find a suitable cab they have in stock to have a listen to it and check if it's ok

I'd be concerned as it was on that long. If it was something like an accident where it hadn't been plugged in and was only on briefly, it'd be fine. No idea why you thought it was a good idea to leave it on for half an hour when its not going to do anything.

It would be fine to plug into the combo speaker, as long as the impedance matches.

All seems to be fine with the two rock, plugged it into the speaker on my Princeton and there were no issues with it. The reason i left it on when getting it is because when it arrived it had condensation on it from inside the box for some reason and i was told that i should turn it on to check it was working and leave it for a little while. This is my first head/cab arrangement though and i didn't know the problems involved with not having the head plugged into a cab. Looks like i had a lucky escape this time though, won't be doing that again

Just let it acclimatise before turning it on, more likely to break it turning it on straight after its been in the cold and any moisture hasn't evaporated. Amps don't need long before they are running fine, certainly not half an hour. If it was a vintage analogue synth, then yeah.

But always best to have heads plugged into a cab, as LEDs to say its on doesn't always work or if its on, doesn't mean the amp is working.

Archived