To each their own I guess, has never appealed to me.

It doesn't have drums or guitar so it's shite, y'know.

Obviously not what I think but ok

On the topic of the next muse album, does Matt really mean stuff like madness when he's talking about hip hop beats? If not then I'd be curious to hear how it turns out. At this point though I think no matter what genre they do, there seems to be a constant queen/U2 influence which has been what's disappointed me most about the recent albums.

Edited by GarthMarenghi

Not sure 'light hearted' would be the term I'd use to describe TAB, Assassin, Soldier's Poem, Hoodoo, COD or even Map :chuckle:

All three are pretty accessible imo but I'd disagree about TR or Drones being way darker. What do you think is particularly dark on TR?

Half of the ones you've mentioned have had a catchy beat to them that the public will remember, and Assassin, CoD and possibly Map are all light hearted. You've also conveniently left out half of the album?

Compare to The Resistance and Drones, where the former only has two songs that have a light sound to them (Guiding Light and I Belong to You) and only three songs that are accessible to the public due to being catchy (Uprising, Undisclosed Desires and Guiding Light), and the latter has three songs with a light sound to them (Dead Inside, Mercy and Revolt).

I'd say every odd album so far has been the dark, bass heavy, rock albums (Showbiz, Absolution, Resistance and Drones), with the even ones being lighter. If I wanted to listen to catchy music that cheers me up and makes me happy, I'd definitely switch on Black Holes or 2nd Law. I'd say that Take A Bow, Soldier's Poem and Hoodoo are the only songs on Black Holes album I wouldn't recommend to the average person, with literally every other song being accessible.

I've always saw Resistance and Drones as dark when I imagine them. Black Holes is all very catchy, cheerful music.

Half of the ones you've mentioned have had a catchy beat to them that the public will remember, and Assassin, CoD and possibly Map are all light hearted. You've also conveniently left out half of the album?

There's nothing convenient about it...? :LOL: You said the album was "all light hearted and beaty". I replied by pointing out that at least, like, half of it wasn't.

Also, I'm not sure what you find light-hearted about stuff like "Aim, shoot, kill your leaders", "I will avenge and justify my reasons with your blood" and "When will this loneliness be over?"

Compare to The Resistance and Drones, where the former only has two songs that have a light sound to them (Guiding Light and I Belong to You) and only three songs that are accessible to the public due to being catchy (Uprising, Undisclosed Desires and Guiding Light), and the latter has three songs with a light sound to them (Dead Inside, Mercy and Revolt).

I'd say that Take A Bow, Soldier's Poem and Hoodoo are the only songs on Black Holes album I wouldn't recommend to the average person, with literally every other song being accessible.

Why do you think Assassin and COD are accessible but not Resistance, Psycho, MKU, Reapers or even Unnatural Selection?

Black Holes is all very catchy, cheerful music.

Again - Assassin, Soldier's Poem, COD, Hoodoo, TAB and Map aren't cheerful. Can't really say whether or not they're catchy 'cos that's more subjective.

Half of the ones you've mentioned have had a catchy beat to them that the public will remember, and Assassin, CoD and possibly Map are all light hearted.

Black Holes is all very catchy, cheerful music.

Assassin, Take a Bow, CoD, Map and Hoodoo aren't light-hearted nor cheerful... Wtf are you talking about?

And do you think you deserve your freedom

No I don't think you do

There's no justice in the world

And there never was

That part always cheers me up.

There's nothing convenient about it...? :LOL: You said the album was "all light hearted and beaty". I replied by pointing out that at least, like, half of it wasn't.

Also, I'm not sure what you find light-hearted about stuff like "Aim, shoot, kill your leaders", "I will avenge and justify my reasons with your blood" and "When will this loneliness be over?"

Lyrics have nothing to do with how light a sing is. You can dance to the Egyptian sounding CoD but Resistance is mainly just depressing with the odd jarring pop part.

[

Why do you think Assassin and COD are accessible but not Resistance, Psycho, MKU, Reapers or even Unnatural Selection?

Psycho and Reapers are, they're just not pop. CoD is one of the catchiest songs they've made. MKU is very Muse and doesn't have that sound that could make it into the charts. It's a bit OoS weird. Unnatural Selection is samey throughout and is just rock. Only rock song that got popular was Uprising, and that was because it was extremely catchy, despite how dark it sounded.

How can you think that Resistance, an album with Resistance and a three part symphony, is more catchy and modern than Black Holes, an album that has popular, catchy song one after the other and no songs that don't belong in our time?

Assassin, Take a Bow, CoD, Map and Hoodoo aren't light-hearted nor cheerful... Wtf are you talking about?

I don't get how anyone doesn't get that from the Egyptian sounding CoD. It's light, fast and cheerful.

Aeterna trying hard to justify TR and Drones xD Also that argument about odd albums being dark, bass heavy, rock albums.. Yeah sure, Showbiz and TR are so much darker and heavier than OoS xD

OoS could be dark, but it was all over the place like 2nd Law is. It doesn't have one set theme running through it.

I'm calling COD the Egyptian sounding song, now.

I'd say every odd album so far has been the dark, bass heavy, rock albums (Showbiz, Absolution, Resistance and Drones), with the even ones being lighter. If I wanted to listen to catchy music that cheers me up and makes me happy, I'd definitely switch on Black Holes or 2nd Law. I'd say that Take A Bow, Soldier's Poem and Hoodoo are the only songs on Black Holes album I wouldn't recommend to the average person, with literally every other song being accessible.

I've always saw Resistance and Drones as dark when I imagine them. Black Holes is all very catchy, cheerful music.

The Resistance is definitely lighter than BH&R, although Exogenesis is admittedly less upbeat.

That said, OoS is arguably their darkest album, which kind of ruins your every odd album theory.

Dig Down makes Fanatano's worst tracks of the week. Doesn't really say anything much about it though.

@9:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pADx9xggSFI

No surprises here.

And do you think you deserve your freedom

No I don't think you do

And there never was

That part always cheers me up.

Loneliness be over

When will this loneliness be over

A very happy album indeed.

Lyrics have nothing to do with how light a sing is.

um

Psycho and Reapers are, they're just not pop. CoD is one of the catchiest songs they've made. MKU is very Muse and doesn't have that sound that could make it into the charts. It's a bit OoS weird. Unnatural Selection is samey throughout and is just rock.

But then, if you're talking exclusively about pop, why does the 'rock' barrier come into play for Psycho, Reapers and US but not Assassin, COD, Knights and Exo-Politics? :p

Only rock song that got popular was Uprising, and that was because it was extremely catchy, despite how dark it sounded.

Uprising, dark? :LOL:

Psycho got pretty popular btw.

How can you think that Resistance, an album with Resistance and a three part symphony, is more catchy and modern than Black Holes, an album that has popular, catchy song one after the other and no songs that don't belong in our time?

Idk what 'belongs in our time' means but how are the 3 parts of Exo any less 'accessible and modern' than stuff like Hoodoo and Soldier's Poem?

As for Resistance the song, it's one of their most successful singles ever so, yeah, it's a bit accessible :chuckle:

Lyrics have nothing to do with how light a sing is. You can dance to the Egyptian sounding CoD but Resistance is mainly just depressing with the odd jarring pop part.

[

Psycho and Reapers are, they're just not pop. CoD is one of the catchiest songs they've made. MKU is very Muse and doesn't have that sound that could make it into the charts. It's a bit OoS weird. Unnatural Selection is samey throughout and is just rock. Only rock song that got popular was Uprising, and that was because it was extremely catchy, despite how dark it sounded.

I don't get how anyone doesn't get that from the Egyptian sounding CoD. It's light, fast and cheerful.

OoS could be dark, but it was all over the place like 2nd Law is. It doesn't have one set theme running through it.

This post is so cancerous... CoD Egyptian? OoS all over the place? Musically? Are you sure you have listened to the entire album? Calling Uprising dark and Resistance depressing (come to think about it... when I first heard it I cringed so hard I actually felt depressed). I know it's kinda subjective but dude... you're trolling, aren't you? Sure you are. You must be.

Lyrics have nothing to do with how light a sing is.

According to you. By the way, you literally said "Black Holes is all very catchy, cheerful music". So what is cheerful about the lyrics we posted?

You can dance to the Egyptian sounding CoD but Resistance is mainly just depressing with the odd jarring pop part.
Like others have said, Egyptian?

First off, what even is a "catchy beat" as you've described it? And CoD being one of the catchiest songs they've made. Sure that might be your opinion, but it's obviously not shared by the majority.

Resistance is one of their most streamed songs ever, and it is most certainly a catchy pop tune. Just because it has a dark intro that doesn't mean it's not accessible.

How do you even define light? And how do you define cheerful? None of this is making any sense.

What kind of theme are you talking about here? Sonically? Lyrically? Genre-wise? Because OoS is probably their most sonically consistent album ever, and most of the songs would fit into the same genre. On the other hand, how is The Resistance thematically consistent?

also lol at the comment that Showbiz would be darker and harder than OoS.

Dig Down makes Fanatano's worst tracks of the week. Doesn't really say anything much about it though.

@9:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pADx9xggSFI

lol, wish he talked more about it even if it was trashing it. Does anyone know if he's ever liked Muse? I know he's disliked every album he's reviewed from them, but has he said anything about their earlier albums?

lol, wish he talked more about it even if it was trashing it. Does anyone know if he's ever liked Muse? I know he's disliked every album he's reviewed from them, but has he said anything about their earlier albums?

He said The Resistance's approach to over the top and symphonic prog-rock appealed to him.

They don't have as much impact as the tone of the instruments. Look at Mercy as an example. Super dark lyrics. And the song is upbeat and happy sounding. Really weird choice that was...

That contrast can also add to how dark a song is tbf. Soldier's Poem being happy and cutesy in sound actually makes the song darker and sadder imo.